I've never run in my entire life and now I'm planning a 5k at Disney....

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
So I need a little advice!

I've never ever in my entire life been a "runner". I was the kid that did everything possible to get out of running the mile in school and when I couldn't I would just awkwardly run part of it so I wasn't last. However a few years ago my life changed and I'm now seeing the horrible effects of it.

In 2012 my older brother died from a drug overdose. He was smart, caring, hysterical. It crushed me. I became severely depressed (at the time I didn't realize it, but I've since been properly diagnosed) and gained a LOT of weight. I'm talking about in the last six years I've gained literally 100 lbs.

During our most recent Disney trip, I stopped in the Run Disney store and chatted with a woman who said she was in a similar situation and started running which helped with her depression and also helped with the weight loss.

My theory is that if I sign up for one of the Disney 5k events it won't be so overwhelming, but it would be good motivation to start doing better for myself. I would be looking at one of the events in 2019 to give myself more then enough time to work up to that kind of distance and the trip itself would be kind of my treat for myself for accomplishing my goal.

Has anyone been in any kind of semi similar situation? Does this seem like a plan that would work? Also, which race would you recommend? I was thinking the Princess 5k, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

surfsupdon

I highly recommend the Princess 5K because its a nice course through Epcot and the Princess theme is always well executed.

I chuckled because we are doing our FitnessGram timed mile in class today :)

Everybody can be a runner. As soon as you start your training, whether it be jogging, walking, running, or any combination thereof, you become a runner. Your purpose for running is solid, so I know you can do it.

I think your regret will be that you "only" signed up for the 5K....instead of the 10K ;-)

Welcome!!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm so sorry about your brother. But glad to hear you are moving past it. Believe or not, running can help with depression. Just getting out there on a lovely day, with just you and nature, is uplifting. You might not think so the first few weeks, though.

I agree with @surfsupdon, the Princess 5k is a good place to start. Loads of fun, people dress up as their favorite princess (including the guys, lol) or Disney character. Lots walk the course, so no pressure to perform for the first time runner. The course is all Epcot, starting in one of the parking lots. You run around the Epcot perimeter, coming in at the service entrance, run through the backstage areas then enter into World Showcase. CMs and runDisney volunteers along the way to cheer you on.

There are several good Couch to 5k programs to help train for the race. Most important thing, properly fitting running shoes. Visit your local running store, not a big box sports store. Staff will measure your foot and evaluate your gait to determine if you are neutral or pronate. And then recommend several shoes. Most stores will let you try them out by running some steps. Properly fitted shoes are important - for preventing various injuries and blisters. And don't be alarmed if it's recommended you go up a 1/2 or full size in running shoes. Your feet swell, trust me.

Stalk the Princess Half thread in the Running forum. There will be lots of chatter about the course, photo opportunities, etc., when it gets close to the race. And if you have any questions about gear, nutrition, etc., don't hesitate to ask.

See if you can join a group of beginning runners. Nothing motivates like others. I have fun running with my SIL, even though he's faster than me - he pushes me to improve my pacing.

Word of warning, once you've done a runDisney event, especially the Princess races, you'll want to do more.

There's a runDisney store at WDW? Where? I need more stuff, lol.

Good luck. And we hope to see you in 2019.

winstongator

I'd start with a C25K type program. It does a good job of helping you avoid increasing distance & speed too quickly - a recipe for injury as I've found. Good luck with the race. The cheering from people watching a race has a huge positive impact.

JillC LI

I'm sorry about your loss. A Disney event can be wonderful motivation to get in shape. I took up running 23 years ago. Like you, I could barely run The Mile in high school, but I was motivated by my sister training for a marathon. It wasn't about weight loss for me but about generally getting in shape. I did a program similar to the Couch to 5K in which I went from being unable to run a full block to being able to run 20 minutes straight at the end of 10 weeks. (I can look up the name of the book if you're interested.) It was about time, not distance at first. Eventually I switched to distance and began running 5K regularly. Several years later I completed a marathon which was something unfathomable for me years before. Now I consider myself a mid-distance runner and I am completely devoted. I can honestly say that going from 0 to 3 miles was just as hard (if not harder) than going from 3 to 26 miles. It's that initial hump. If you stick with it consistently, don't push yourself to go too far, too fast, too soon, then you will find that you can do things you never dreamed possible. Just don't give up. Good luck and feel free to use us as support!

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thank you all so much! I will definitely look for a store to get running shoes, I usually wear flip flops (horrible, I know!) so any kind of shoe is out of my element. Haha.

I'll look into the Princess 5k more, it was definitely my number one choice and now I think more so. I'd love to be able to do a farther distance, but I'm afraid to push myself too far since I'm starting at 0. I'm ultimate goal is to actually do the 5k this upcoming year and then a 10k either later next year or the following.

You've all been so helpful so far! Thank you so much!

RunningKoen

I never ran more than 21.1K/ 13.1M and I planned (and did) a full marathon in Disney.

It's the perfect motivation and probably the best environment to start running. Keep us updated about your progress, cause we're all happy to help :)

LisaBelle

I have never been a runner, but after reading lots of runDisney trip reports I decided I wanted to try one. I am happy to say that at 50 years old I ran my first 5k! My sister and I ran the Princess 5k and loved every minute of it! I used the Couch to 5k program and I ran the whole course (with a few stops for character photos which gave me a bit of a break). I think you will love it! Good luck!

iubigman

So I need a little advice!

I've never ever in my entire life been a "runner". I was the kid that did everything possible to get out of running the mile in school and when I couldn't I would just awkwardly run part of it so I wasn't last. However a few years ago my life changed and I'm now seeing the horrible effects of it.

In 2012 my older brother died from a drug overdose. He was smart, caring, hysterical. It crushed me. I became severely depressed (at the time I didn't realize it, but I've since been properly diagnosed) and gained a LOT of weight. I'm talking about in the last six years I've gained literally 100 lbs.

During our most recent Disney trip, I stopped in the Run Disney store and chatted with a woman who said she was in a similar situation and started running which helped with her depression and also helped with the weight loss.

My theory is that if I sign up for one of the Disney 5k events it won't be so overwhelming, but it would be good motivation to start doing better for myself. I would be looking at one of the events in 2019 to give myself more then enough time to work up to that kind of distance and the trip itself would be kind of my treat for myself for accomplishing my goal.

Has anyone been in any kind of semi similar situation? Does this seem like a plan that would work? Also, which race would you recommend? I was thinking the Princess 5k, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you!

First of all, anything you do for your health is worth celebrating. The small things, the big things, whatever. Posting this here is a huge first step. I have lost about 100lbs in the last year+ and having a running goal in mind was huge for me. I targeted a 5K on thanksgiving, and that made a real difference. Like you, I've used a Disney run as my next target, the Star Wars Rival Run 10k next April. I'm sure it's been reccomended in this thread, but the rundisney site has an easy to download and easy to follow training plan for each race. Just get out there and do it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
First of all, anything you do for your health is worth celebrating. The small things, the big things, whatever. Posting this here is a huge first step. I have lost about 100lbs in the last year+ and having a running goal in mind was huge for me. I targeted a 5K on thanksgiving, and that made a real difference. Like you, I've used a Disney run as my next target, the Star Wars Rival Run 10k next April. I'm sure it's been reccomended in this thread, but the rundisney site has an easy to download and easy to follow training plan for each race. Just get out there and do it.

Only for the 10k, Half, Full and Challenge races. Added benefit, they are free! My first 5K, I just used Galloway's 10K training schedule and stopped the weekend distance run at 5 miles.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thank you everyone! I downloaded the Couch to 5k app on my phone and just signed up for a Halloween 5k near home with my best friend to start! Unfortunately we're going through a HORRIBLE heat wave so my asthma has been terrible, but we just ordered a treadmill so I can start trying to run inside a bit when it's too hot to go outside. I've been on our stationary bike a lot recently though so hopefully that'll help also. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom