Kid's Meals for Adults

Starlight67

Original Poster
Not sure if this is a tip or if everyone else knows about this cost saving option. I could be the only one who just assumed this was 'illegal' while at the Disney World. ;) :D.

Anyway last week I ordered a grilled cheese at Port Orleans Food Court and was told this was a kid's meal. Kids meals are listed as 'for our guests under 9.' The cast member said that adults can order kids meals for themselves too. What I found is that the children's size meals are plenty of food and SO much less expensive. Each meal comes with choice of two sides, fries, apple slices or kid size yogurt. As well as a children's size chocolate milk, juice, water or small cup for soda. For about 6 to 7 dollars. After knowing this was an option I chose off the kid's menu throughout the trip at quick service sites all over the parks. It was enough to fill me up and slashes your daily meal cost in half (at least!).

Not really sure why I never thought of doing this before!

Miceberg

I tried this on my last trip and found the meals were just the right size. It was a nice to not have to decide if I should eat too much or throw away food that I couldn't finish.

Simba's Mom

I've been doing this for years, and apparently so have others. I can still remember the first time I did this-I was so sure I was being "sneaky"-I made a big production of looking vaguely in the distance, like I was looking at a child, saying "She wants...and I think she'd like.." But then about the 5th time I did this, the CM just looked at me and asked "Would you like to substitute a small soft drink for the milk?" Since I figured the deception was up, I gave up the pretending after that. No problems.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Similarly, my go-to at McDonald's is the Mighty Kids Meal. Just the right amount of food--6pc McNuggets, kids' fries, milk (good for my bones!) and apple slices. I tell them to keep the toy. ;)

I am a bariatric patient and I always get kid's meals, it's never been a problem. I still have food left over of course but yes, to me, the meals are large enough usually for one person. I imagine even someone who hasn't had surgery, as you don't want to be too full running around the parks.

Simba's Mom

The only problem I've noticed for us adults ordering from the kids' menu is that the kids' menu usually lists so few options and the options there are are usually things like chicken nuggets, pizza, macaroni, etc. I wish more places offered kids-sized portions of the adult offerings. For instance, try to find Moroccan food on the kids' menu at Tangerine Cafe.

disneygeek90

The only problem I've noticed for us adults ordering from the kids' menu is that the kids' menu usually lists so few options and the options there are are usually things like chicken nuggets, pizza, macaroni, etc. I wish more places offered kids-sized portions of the adult offerings. For instance, try to find Moroccan food on the kids' menu at Tangerine Cafe.
Satu'li Canteen also offers the "adult" food for "kids." I had the tofu salad the other day. I wish it had a little more salad, but it was a good light lunch.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This. The problem with the kids meals isn't the portion size, it's the variety. I'm not going to get a plain chicken drumstick or a hot dog at Flame Tree BBQ just to save $5.

Each meal comes with choice of two sides, fries, apple slices or kid size yogurt.
No thanks. Adult sides include green beans, barbecue beans, mashed potatoes, potato salad, quinoa, couscous, etc. You're missing out on better food, not just bigger entrees.

WDWFan2018

This. The problem with the kids meals isn't the portion size, it's the variety. I'm not going to get a plain chicken drumstick or a hot dog at Flame Tree BBQ just to save $5.

No thanks. Adult sides include green beans, barbecue beans, mashed potatoes, potato salad, quinoa, couscous, etc. You're missing out on better food, not just bigger entrees.

This exactly! Kids don't tend to be too adventurous with food so the variety is slim and it's pretty much the same everywhere you go. My kids are completely content eating chicken fingers, spaghetti and pizza all week and although a child's size portion would be perfect for me, I need more variety.

21stamps

Satu'li Canteen also offers the "adult" food for "kids." I had the tofu salad the other day. I wish it had a little more salad, but it was a good light lunch.
Wow, this is great news!!!

I completely forgot about Satu’li Canteen the last time we were at AK.. remembered it right after we left. Will not make that mistake again!

21stamps

This exactly! Kids don't tend to be too adventurous with food so the variety is slim and it's pretty much the same everywhere you go. My kids are completely content eating chicken fingers, spaghetti and pizza all week and although a child's size portion would be perfect for me, I need more variety.

I have the opposite problem. My kid at 5 years old and up has ordered from the adult menu more often than not.

I think every restaurant should have one go-with-the-theme option for kids.. there are a lot of children who eat many types of food.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I have the opposite problem. My kid at 5 years old and up has ordered from the adult menu more often than not.

I think every restaurant should have one go-with-the-theme option for kids.. there are a lot of children who eat many types of food.
Yup. It's annoying spending $14 on an entree for my three year old because she wants shawarma and hummus but there's no kid's portion available.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom