Cool.. or Creepy?

Would you want Candid shots around the parks (or Disney Springs) to be part of Photo Pass?

• Yes, That would be Cool!

Votes: 43 53.8%
  • No, Thanx, that's a bit too Big Brother for me.

Votes: 37 46.3%

• Total voters

yedliW

Original Poster
We recently got back from a trip down to WDW, (trip report is posted here for those interested). We generally get the Memory Maker/Photo Pass package and get enough really good shots to make it worth the cost.. (especially if you buy it in advance for the discount). This year was no exception.

The thing about it is that with the exception of ride photos, the pics are all staged. There is nothing organic or natural about them. I was thinking, it would be cool if they could randomly capture photos and deliver them via Magic Band as you walk down Main St USA, crossing the bridge to the World Showcase, interacting with the Citizens of Hollywood.. or admiring animals on one of the jungle trails.. or countless other locations where people would be going.

They already have the tech to do this.. they know what seat on the Mine Train you are sitting on and deliver those shots without you having to do anything except wearing your MB.. What if they took pics randomly around the park or had photogs that took candids and using MB added them to your account.

Is that something that you would want, or is that a bit too Big Brother for you?

We recently got back from a trip down to WDW, (trip report is posted here for those interested). We generally get the Memory Maker/Photo Pass package and get enough really good shots to make it worth the cost.. (especially if you buy it in advance for the discount). This year was no exception.

The thing about it is that with the exception of ride photos, the pics are all staged. There is nothing organic or natural about them. I was thinking, it would be cool if they could randomly capture photos and deliver them via Magic Band as you walk down Main St USA, crossing the bridge to the World Showcase, interacting with the Citizens of Hollywood.. or admiring animals on one of the jungle trails.. or countless other locations where people would be going.

They already have the tech to do this.. they know what seat on the Mine Train you are sitting on and deliver those shots without you having to do anything except wearing your MB.. What if they took pics randomly around the park or had photogs that took candids and using MB added them to your account.

Is that something that you would want, or is that a bit too Big Brother for you?
This may already be happening. When we were at the Magic Kingdom in January a cast member approached our family of four and asked to scan our magic bands. She had taken pictures of us and our kids entering Main Street. Our pictures didn’t turn out great, but it has the potential of catching some natural moments. I personally don’t have an issue with it.

21stamps

This was taken by a PhotoPass photog, unknowingly to me.. quite a surprise when I checked our photos later. I thought it was hilarious though. He got me. :hilarious:
14AAE10F-FEC5-4962-8576-98A2C3F125DF.jpeg

shannon12

On one of our trips we were in HS sitting by a curb watching the Citizens of Hollywood. A photo pass photographer came up to me and asked to scan my band, she had taken some photos of me and my daughter. They were great. I dont get to be in many non posed pics with my kids and I adored it.

dreamfinder

Sometimes they definitely do. They have been adding Photopass photographers who are able to roam and take pictures in different places. Sometimes you need to keep your eyes open. And many of the ones who aren't roaming are more than willing to take advice about poses/pictures you want and will work to get you unique shots if you are willing to take some initiative. But alot of guests making their once or twice in a lifetime trip WANT that group castle shot, so they need to keep enough staff there to accomplish that.

Jedi Stitch

I have traditionally got a photo of my wife coming from the bathrooms. Drives her insane, but hey its my vacation vice.:p Now, we can get them done professionally, awesome. ;) I would love candid random shots, but since it is about the money, they have to be banking on most people having the memory maker or buying the pics.

21stamps

On one of our trips we were in HS sitting by a curb watching the Citizens of Hollywood. A photo pass photographer came up to me and asked to scan my band, she had taken some photos of me and my daughter. They were great. I dont get to be in many non posed pics with my kids and I adored it.
That’s great! I’m sure your whole family enjoyed the photos. :)
This could be one of my fav shots of my son ever.. the photog caught him like this.
I think it depends on the talent of the photog and how motivated they are. Non posed pics are definitely the best! :)
C3C680E0-CACF-46F0-A5CA-7B2E32C5DA97.jpeg

jloucks

I can see the creepy side of it, but in reality, in a public place your privacy is super limited by definition. I do wonder about Vloggers tho. As in, there a clause that random people cannot profit off of your likeness.

That being said, if there is no profit, it is pretty much a free for all. ...which can be problematic when somebody wants to take a few too many photos of your kids. As in, any, photos of your kids.

crxbrett

I think it would be kind of cool actually. I'm also not really one to be paranoid or overly worried about being on film or someone else's videos or pics. But I also don't have kids, so that is something I would not have to even worry about.

_caleb

Yeah. Facebook's facial recognition has tagged me in lots of photos that I never posed for, consented to, or even knew about- vacation pics from other people who were at the parks on the same day I was, for example.

_caleb

Technically, it would be possible to get LOTS of candid photos/video of you and your family at WDW by pooling all the photos from Photopass photogs, installed cameras (the ones recently installed to stream shows/parades over the internet), and all photos from other guests. If facial recognition is used, it could comb through all photos taken in your location that day, and find you wherever you were in the park.

Cool. Maybe a little creepy.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm OK with it as long as they don't start including snapshots from the hidden security cameras in the resort hotel bathrooms...
Joke. The security cameras in the bathrooms aren't hidden.
Another joke. They don't really have security cameras in the bathrooms
... that they'll admit to...

_caleb

I'm OK with it as long as they don't start including snapshots from the hidden security cameras in the resort hotel bathrooms...
Joke. The security cameras in the bathrooms aren't hidden.
Another joke. They don't really have security cameras in the bathrooms
... that they'll admit to...
Eewww!

Oddysey

As others have stated this is occurring to some extent. My wife, daughter and I were watching the fireworks in New Fantasyland. Gaston came up and watched the fireworks with us for maybe 30 seconds. When checking our pictures via the mobile app there was an organic photo of the 4 of us watching the fireworks together. I actually really enjoy the photo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom