Whats included in your package

Phonedave

This post also reminded me of how much Celebrity felt like a flea market. While at sea, they brought out the folding tables and filled them with a bunch of knock offs. Completely tacky and not what I expect when taking a nice cruise, maybe on a Carnival ship, but not on a Celebrity.

Yeah, that is one of my complains about Celebrity as well. It's not as if they hunt you down and try to get you to buy stuff, but it is a bit jarring to see it set up outside of the elevator lobbies,

Phonedave

I am late to this post but I would also like to add that the food at the main dining(not the upgraded restaurants) is very very good. You will get filet and prime rib and sea bass. Most other cruise lines you need to pay extra for the "better" cuts of meat. Also Disney cruise is the only one that has the self serve soda/coffee/tea machines for you to use. Other ones sell drink plans and you usually have to wait in line at the bar for a drink. At the dinners, my girls and I usually order our own each meal plus and extra one or two to share, especially if it is something we have not had before. It is a great way to try new foods that you don't want to take the chance and pay for at a normal restaurant.

I prefer the drink package. I can get much better non-alcoholic drinks from the bar than from DCLs soda stand. And I don't wait in line either. When they waiter comes walking around by my pool chair, I ask him or her to get me a club soda with lime, and give them my drink card. Then they go get me one.

-dave

Mainahman

Original Poster
Thanks all! Totally considering a cruise for our anniversary over a week at the parks. is there a good amount of time for a first timer?

jaklgreen

Thanks all! Totally considering a cruise for our anniversary over a week at the parks. is there a good amount of time for a first timer?

I think most first time cruisers start out with either 3 or 4 nights. But then we all pretty much wished we booked the longer cruise. :p

Mainahman

Original Poster
We have never been on a boat that large, and never at sea, so im not sure if wed experience sea sickness, so thats why im scared of the 7 day, even though its still cheaper than a week at the park.

flynnibus

Premium Member
We have never been on a boat that large, and never at sea, so im not sure if wed experience sea sickness, so thats why im scared of the 7 day, even though its still cheaper than a week at the park.

Only the run between PC and the bahamas has ever been rough for us.. and by rough its far less than people fear. The 3 day would be a total waste IMO.. and even the 4 day was too fast. Pretty sure I first was a 4 day, and immediately booked 7 days. Less than 7 days is cheating yourself IMO unless you are doing a quick dodge on the side for some reason. If its your main vacation.. do 7.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Only the run between PC and the bahamas has ever been rough for us.. and by rough its far less than people fear. The 3 day would be a total waste IMO.. and even the 4 day was too fast. Pretty sure I first was a 4 day, and immediately booked 7 days. Less than 7 days is cheating yourself IMO unless you are doing a quick dodge on the side for some reason. If its your main vacation.. do 7.
No question that longer is better. Our first cruise was 4 days, second was 3 and the third was 7.

I almost felt cheated on the 3 day cruise. I was getting kicked off the boat right about the time I was settling into the cruise ship way of life. 7 days or longer is ideal.

That being said, 4 days is a great "test" cruise length.

Mainahman

Original Poster
It would be the main vacation for our 10th anniversary celebration. I feel it would be a slower pace than the parks.
No question that longer is better. Our first cruise was 4 days, second was 3 and the third was 7.

I almost felt cheated on the 3 day cruise. I was getting kicked off the boat right about the time I was settling into the cruise ship way of life. 7 days or longer is ideal.

That being said, 4 days is a great "test" cruise length.
If it was me, id love 7 days as it would be nice to sleep in. sip coffee on the private balcony, and then see a show.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If it was me, id love 7 days as it would be nice to sleep in. sip coffee on the private balcony, and then see a show.

So it's part of the spiel they drive on the boat... so it feels 'pushed'.. but it's legit. The experience is about VACATION... relax.. be pampered... not racing from point A to B. It's nice to just sit back with the navigator guide and go 'hrmm.. what interests me today..' instead of having everything on rails planned months before. Yes, you have certain elements that are fixed or you did plan ahead.. but those are in the minority. Being able to just 'take it as you go..' and adapt as you feel like it is what really makes it such a refreshing break.

The folks who stress about 'not having enough to keep them occupied' are completely missing the opportunity and benefit the 'slow down..' mindset offers.

As much as I want to return to the parks to see stuff... its just not even in the same KIND of vacation anymore.

Mainahman

Original Poster
So it's part of the spiel they drive on the boat... so it feels 'pushed'.. but it's legit. The experience is about VACATION... relax.. be pampered... not racing from point A to B. It's nice to just sit back with the navigator guide and go 'hrmm.. what interests me today..' instead of having everything on rails planned months before. Yes, you have certain elements that are fixed or you did plan ahead.. but those are in the minority. Being able to just 'take it as you go..' and adapt as you feel like it is what really makes it such a refreshing break.

The folks who stress about 'not having enough to keep them occupied' are completely missing the opportunity and benefit the 'slow down..' mindset offers.

As much as I want to return to the parks to see stuff... its just not even in the same KIND of vacation anymore.
I love the parks, we both do, but something my wife said is sitting with me after a few days " nothing about standing in line and fighting strollers says happy 10th anniversary to me"

The more i think, a 7 day cruise, if i can get her over the "trapped on a boat" thing would be cheaper even with parking fees etc, and probally more relaxing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I love the parks, we both do, but something my wife said is sitting with me after a few days " nothing about standing in line and fighting strollers says happy 10th anniversary to me"

The more i think, a 7 day cruise, if i can get her over the "trapped on a boat" thing would be cheaper even with parking fees etc, and probally more relaxing.

I've done threads where I've analyzed our spend.. at both parks and the cruises. I don't have any notion the cruises are cheaper. They do have some pricey add-ons (excursions for instance.. or photo packages), but some things are reasonably priced (Drinks, the upgraded dinners, generally all food&beverage offers/classes). That said, I think the IMPRESSION and return from the cruises is so much more. It also takes me back to the Disney I fell in love with.. the company that always IMPRESSED you at every turn.. that the details mattered... that the service was impeccable. I used to do value visits to the parks for <4k. Our 7 day cruises I ballpark at about 7-8k total (especially if I include the bookend stuff). This is for a family of 5. And the cruise portion is luxury, while the parks version was value oriented. Time of year is a huge factor too... summer/holiday prices are nearly 2x the cheaper seasons. We would cruise around holloween time and it was awesome.

Now.. 30 years from now will dinner in animator's palate have the same impression on me that 20k leagues did? I don't think so. But the dolphin swim my kids did will.. the ziplining we did.. the boat experience as a whole will always be a beacon of enjoyment. If anything.. these trips are about being SPOILED and less about trying to do things. So people need to be open to the idea that the experiences are different.

For instance our cruise experience usually consists of..
  • Traveling day before.. spending the AM in Ron Jon Surfshop shopping before departure
  • Paying for the preferred parking at the port which means walking <100ft to the entrace
  • Having booked some excursion at each port.. usually something physical and related to the location. Snorkeling, ziplining, dolphins, etc.. and less 'tours'. But say a beach day in a world famous beach.. sure. (these are usually about $80-150/head each)
  • On board, we usually book 2-3 food&beverage offerings like a mixology class, chocolate tasting, etc. (these are about 25-35/head each)
  • We found bingo a fun activity with the kids.. so we usually spend way too much playing that 2-3 times on the trip ($$ will vary)
  • Our kids are nearly completely independent on the boat.. we require them to eat dinner with us, and any port stuff (minus CCay) but all other stuff we allow them the freedom to choose and come and go. They usually make friends right away.
  • We see a movie or two..
  • Wife and I buy the week long spa package which gives us access to the private spa areas for true peace (like $200??)
  • Wife and kids usually do 1-2 spa things as a treat (wildly varying $$.. but not cheap) - Note they never do any spa things elsewhere
  • We end up buying some souvenirs in port and on the boat for us and friends
  • We eat at the rotational dinners.. we do formal night.. breakfast/lunch is usually buffet/counter stuff.. whatever we feel like that hour...
  • We see some of the shows, but don't make them 'must do'
  • We frequently do the seminars/tours/cooking/etc things
  • We freeload on the DVC and open house things for freebies
  • We spend some time in the bars, but not much
  • Upon return, since it's a saturday.. we usually extend the rest of the weekend somewhere else. One year we did Discovery Cove/Seaworld/Aquatic (DC is an amazing experience). One year we did Universal (was in the park by 10am saturday..). One year we did Kennedy Space Center plus other stuff.
Visiting the parks is still attractive to us... but its a different kind of vacation. Just because they are both Disney doesn't make them two of a kind :)

Mainahman

Original Poster
I've done threads where I've analyzed our spend.. at both parks and the cruises. I don't have any notion the cruises are cheaper. They do have some pricey add-ons (excursions for instance.. or photo packages), but some things are reasonably priced (Drinks, the upgraded dinners, generally all food&beverage offers/classes). That said, I think the IMPRESSION and return from the cruises is so much more. It also takes me back to the Disney I fell in love with.. the company that always IMPRESSED you at every turn.. that the details mattered... that the service was impeccable. I used to do value visits to the parks for <4k. Our 7 day cruises I ballpark at about 7-8k total (especially if I include the bookend stuff). This is for a family of 5. And the cruise portion is luxury, while the parks version was value oriented. Time of year is a huge factor too... summer/holiday prices are nearly 2x the cheaper seasons. We would cruise around holloween time and it was awesome.

Now.. 30 years from now will dinner in animator's palate have the same impression on me that 20k leagues did? I don't think so. But the dolphin swim my kids did will.. the ziplining we did.. the boat experience as a whole will always be a beacon of enjoyment. If anything.. these trips are about being SPOILED and less about trying to do things. So people need to be open to the idea that the experiences are different.

For instance our cruise experience usually consists of..
  • Traveling day before.. spending the AM in Ron Jon Surfshop shopping before departure
  • Paying for the preferred parking at the port which means walking <100ft to the entrace
  • Having booked some excursion at each port.. usually something physical and related to the location. Snorkeling, ziplining, dolphins, etc.. and less 'tours'. But say a beach day in a world famous beach.. sure. (these are usually about $80-150/head each)
  • On board, we usually book 2-3 food&beverage offerings like a mixology class, chocolate tasting, etc. (these are about 25-35/head each)
  • We found bingo a fun activity with the kids.. so we usually spend way too much playing that 2-3 times on the trip ($$ will vary)
  • Our kids are nearly completely independent on the boat.. we require them to eat dinner with us, and any port stuff (minus CCay) but all other stuff we allow them the freedom to choose and come and go. They usually make friends right away.
  • We see a movie or two..
  • Wife and I buy the week long spa package which gives us access to the private spa areas for true peace (like $200??)
  • Wife and kids usually do 1-2 spa things as a treat (wildly varying $$.. but not cheap) - Note they never do any spa things elsewhere
  • We end up buying some souvenirs in port and on the boat for us and friends
  • We eat at the rotational dinners.. we do formal night.. breakfast/lunch is usually buffet/counter stuff.. whatever we feel like that hour...
  • We see some of the shows, but don't make them 'must do'
  • We frequently do the seminars/tours/cooking/etc things
  • We freeload on the DVC and open house things for freebies
  • We spend some time in the bars, but not much
  • Upon return, since it's a saturday.. we usually extend the rest of the weekend somewhere else. One year we did Discovery Cove/Seaworld/Aquatic (DC is an amazing experience). One year we did Universal (was in the park by 10am saturday..). One year we did Kennedy Space Center plus other stuff.
Visiting the parks is still attractive to us... but its a different kind of vacation. Just because they are both Disney doesn't make them two of a kind :)
The biggest draw to me is the Snorkeling. My wife and I both just love saltwater fish and Coral, and keep a variety our selves. Nothing beats seeing wild fish and coral, and going hey i have one of those at home! Really helps you realize how wonderful the oceans are. I think wed both love to do that. It would be just the 2 of us, so id likely upgrade us to the Verandah just so we could have a private place to sit and sip coffee, and watch the sunset each night, or sun come up each day. it seems so much is included, as far as food and drink, that we would be covered other than probally an upgrade for one night to fully celebrate our anniversary. I like the idea of fully being shut off too. No internet, no screens, just relaxation. give us a swim up pool bar and that disney magic and im happy!

Can you use Disney gift cards on board for things? Were avid users of them, and we get Fuel points for every purchase we make at Kroger, and depending on the time of year, its 2x to 4x the points. When we do groceries and are planning a trip, we buy a 50 dollar one each time, or a 25 at the end of a pay period, and then use those for sit down meals and gifts in the parks., I could see us using that on board for up charge dinner, or things on the boat.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If I have first time cruisers I will suggest a 3 or 4 night cruise since many people may not know if they have "sea legs" so we ease into it. They usually do a land and sea where they will either start off or end with WDW.

Pam

NelleBelle

We did a 7-night DCL for our first ever cruise. We weren’t sure if we’d be sea sick either but we came prepared. We brought Seabands, Bonine, and scpolomine patches if the OTCstuff didn’t work . Only DH got somewhat sick and ended up taking Bonnie one night. He found sitting on our verandah or out in fresh air helped him (so from now on, he insists on sailing with a verandah—lucky me 😁)!

I think if we had done a shorter cruise, we would’ve had fun but we would’ve been longing for that 7-nt cruise! Especially if you and y

Phonedave

The biggest draw to me is the Snorkeling. My wife and I both just love saltwater fish and Coral, and keep a variety our selves. Nothing beats seeing wild fish and coral, and going hey i have one of those at home! Really helps you realize how wonderful the oceans are. I think wed both love to do that. It would be just the 2 of us, so id likely upgrade us to the Verandah just so we could have a private place to sit and sip coffee, and watch the sunset each night, or sun come up each day. it seems so much is included, as far as food and drink, that we would be covered other than probally an upgrade for one night to fully celebrate our anniversary. I like the idea of fully being shut off too. No internet, no screens, just relaxation. give us a swim up pool bar and that disney magic and im happy!

Can you use Disney gift cards on board for things? Were avid users of them, and we get Fuel points for every purchase we make at Kroger, and depending on the time of year, its 2x to 4x the points. When we do groceries and are planning a trip, we buy a 50 dollar one each time, or a 25 at the end of a pay period, and then use those for sit down meals and gifts in the parks., I could see us using that on board for up charge dinner, or things on the boat.

Just so you are aware, the snorkeling at Castaway Cay is nothing special. No coral, and only a few fish, and if you go later in the day, there is a lot of sand kicked up in the water so the visibility is poor.

Don't get me wrong. The cruises are great, and Castaway Cay is awesome, but if you are going in anticipating snorkeling like you would find at say Bermuda or Grand Cayman, you are going to be disappointed.

-dave

Mainahman

Original Poster
Just so you are aware, the snorkeling at Castaway Cay is nothing special. No coral, and only a few fish, and if you go later in the day, there is a lot of sand kicked up in the water so the visibility is poor.

Don't get me wrong. The cruises are great, and Castaway Cay is awesome, but if you are going in anticipating snorkeling like you would find at say Bermuda or Grand Cayman, you are going to be disappointed.

-dave
ill gladly pay the price in grand cayman to do it there ;) id be looking for the 20,000 leagues sub at castaway cay unless its been removed...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

-dave
Quite right.

Snorkeling in CC is fine. It is safe, controlled, great for first timers, you will see plenty fish and can touch one of the old 20k subs, but there are much better options on the excursions.

If you plan to go snorkeling anywhere, I would recommend buying your own equipment as the rental stuff is garbage. I am not talking garbage in the mind of some elitist diver who would call a $500 mask garbage,I am talking Wal-Mart would be embarrassed to sell it.

You can get a base level U.S. Divers set with fins, mask and a dry snorkel kit for under $40 at Wla-Mart and it will be vastly superior to the rental gear. If you don't mind spending a little more, you can get a full face mast with an integrated snorkel.

jaklgreen

Can you use Disney gift cards on board for things?
So the ships are a cash less system. You can charge things back to your room. But you can use your gift cards to pay your room charges. Just go down to guest services before the night before your cruise ends.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
ill gladly pay the price in grand cayman to do it there ;) id be looking for the 20,000 leagues sub at castaway cay unless its been removed...
It was still there on our last cruise. I doubt it will be going anywhere unless it was to decay to the point of being a safety hazard. Since it was designed to be in the water 24/7, I doubt that will be in my lifetime.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom