Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Ep 8). SPOILERS. Plot points revealed and discussed.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Since the dust has settled...I was wondering how the last jedi did?

Long box office run? Massive merchandise sales? No backlash with the studio or fanbase? No new creative team brought in? No Leaks as to why treverrow was "fired"?

Just curious😉

To sate your curiosity...

1521073268620.png

That's about the average drop off as seen going from Episodes 4 to 5 and from 1 to 2.

Tick Tock

Since the dust has settled...I was wondering how the last jedi did?

Long box office run? Massive merchandise sales? No backlash with the studio or fanbase? No new creative team brought in? No Leaks as to why treverrow was "fired"?
Highest grossing movie ever. EVERYONE who saw it loved it. If anyone claims they didn't like it or certain plot points in the film, they are either:
a). A robot with an agenda
b). Racist
c). A figment of your imagination

TLJ is flawless.

;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To sate your curiosity...

View attachment 270343

That's about the average drop off as seen going from Episodes 4 to 5 and from 1 to 2.

Do you mean the 6th highest growing Star Wars episode ever (out of 8)...in North America - which is the only valid comparison based on inflation/ticket sales?

And with a $220 million dollar presale...which didn't really exist prior to force awakens - the diluted its take substantially from episode 4...which ran from may 1977 till about January 1979?

Fun with numbers...let's see how those DVD sales go?

Wendy Pleakley

Mark only retracted his statements about Luke because he was forced to do so. Can't impact ticket / home video sales, right?

Doing what's right and what's profitable are never the same thing.

Interesting that he was “forced” to retract his statements, yet footage of him stating his disagreement with the handling of the character are included in the film’s special features...

sedati

If you followed Mark Hamill‘s comments throughout the years, you’d see that he always thought Luke would progress differently. He thought Luke was too bland when compared to the likes of Han Solo in the first film. Thought Luke should turn evil in return of the Jedi. Thought Luke should show up to save the day in force awakens.

Cosmic Commando

"When you get down to it, it's not Mark Hamill in a blockbuster film. It's Luke," Hamill said at SXSW. "I had to do a wild reimagining of the character. Like, hey, what happened between the last one and this one, where the most hopeful man in the galaxy becomes a cranky old suicidal man telling people to get off his lawn?"
I've said it before, but blame JJ if you don't like what happened to Luke between the OT and the sequel trilogy. Unless you can come up with a better reason why Luke would go into hiding and completely out of contact for years while Kylo Ren and Snoke were rising in power...

TalkingHead

Finally caught this and was surprised how unappealing I found it to be.

I didn't mind the "controversial" handling of Luke's character - it was one of the few things I found interesting.

But the story played like a rough-draft treatment. It reminded me of so many modern-day blockbusters in that regard. It was so unevenly plotted, a bloated narrative with some ineffective dramatic beats, all wrapped in a script that had some of the worst expository dialogue in recent memory. It's a worse script than TFA, which I didn't expect.

Not to mention, the "kill the past" theme is hilariously ironic given Disney's commitment to milking the venerable franchise for all it's worth.

Both TFA and TLJ are reminders that this story has virtually no reason to exist other than Disney's insistence on cashing in on the past and ensuring a new generation develops nostalgic loyalty to the franchise. That ought to cover another two decades of SW films. "Kill the past." Talk about mixed messages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom