The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

To be honest I didn't plan it... my sister made all the reservations and I just said tell me where I'm supposed to be and when. My flight from Raleigh was via Iceland Air. Air Canada to Toronto, Iceland Air from Toronto to Reykjavik, Iceland then on to Paris. took a bus from the airport to close to the area of the apartment. We rented an apartment for four nights took the regular train from Paris to Disneyland Paris and back. We toured Paris the next day just using the subways, bought the museum pass and went to places like the Louvre, advance tickets to get up on the Eiffel Tower. Then Easy-jet to Venice, water taxi to St. Marks Square and hoofed it from there to the hotel for two nights. Walking tours (independent) and a four piece string concert in a church that was older then this country by a few hundred years. Train to Rome. The train, subway station was really close to the Apartment we rented for 6 days. We used the subway, did one tour involving the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, the Train to Pompeii, more independent touring via subways and tourist maps. The apartments had full kitchens and there was a small grocery store at our end of the train station so we mixed it up with eating in restaurants and just throwing something together in the apartment. Anyway that should give you an idea how we did that. My Sister was absolutely awesome with the details, never missed a beat. She should have been a travel agent. It was always pleasant and the apartments were clean, and comfortable. A lot of walking, but, again we had advance tickets for the Vatican and the papal audience. On the way home, we took a Celebrity relocation cruise back to the states but, the places I listed from Pisa on were part of the cruise and were Ports of Call for the first half of the cruise around the Mediterranean and finally across to Fort Lauderdale. We had an inside room so we didn't have to be on the lookout for icebergs and we were only in the room to sleep the rest of the cruise was either PoC or activities on board. It was no frills except the cruise which surely did feel full of frills. No 4 star hotels or guided tours except for that one morning in Rome. Otherwise we just wander about and saw just about everything there was to see and didn't have to get back to a bus. I found the trains and the subways the highlight of the trip. Loved it!

I wish I could tell you the details of the planning the trip, but, I don't know them. I was just along for the ride. This should give you an idea about how it all went though.

It sounds like an amazing trip!!!! Thanks for the breakdown, I understand how you did that.. and I think the no-frills wanderer trips can be the most special trips of all! It’s just not realistic for me to travel like that with a young-ish child. I hope he does something like that once he’s older though!

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
It sounds like an amazing trip!!!! Thanks for the breakdown, I understand how you did that.. and I think the no-frills wanderer trips can be the most special trips of all! It’s just not realistic for me to travel like that with a young-ish child. I hope he does something like that once he’s older though!

Yeah.... I priced out some trips with A and came to the same conclusion. Until hostels are an option it's just going to cost more. And i don't know that they'd be an option for me personally until she was about 14 years old

Goofyernmost

It isn't all that great for an old dude either. I know that if I hadn't gone then (two years ago) I wouldn't be able to do it now. After that trip everything started messing up physically. (well, to be fair, some of it was in place before I went, but, hadn't become an issue yet). I jokingly, when I'm talking to my sister, call it the European Death March. Miles and miles of walking. Right now I can't even get 3/4 of a mile without stopping to sit three or four times. Aging is not for the faint of heart. It was an amazing trip indeed!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
When I was planning my Paris and London trip I found a website (recommended by Frommer's I think) that was about Paris for Seniors. It had budget friendly hotels in excellent locations. I ended up going with a hotel I found on that site and it was great. So maybe searching some sites geared for Seniors/Retirees is the way to get some budget ideas.

Goofyernmost

When I was planning my Paris and London trip I found a website (recommended by Frommer's I think) that was about Paris for Seniors. It had budget friendly hotels in excellent locations. I ended up going with a hotel I found on that site and it was great. So maybe searching some sites geared for Seniors/Retirees is the way to get some budget ideas.
I believe it's called the Geezer Gazette! :D Sometimes referred to as "if today is Tuesday you're in a state of confusion."

21stamps

It isn't all that great for an old dude either. I know that if I hadn't gone then (two years ago) I wouldn't be able to do it now. After that trip everything started messing up physically. (well, to be fair, some of it was in place before I went, but, hadn't become an issue yet). I jokingly, when I'm talking to my sister, call it the European Death March. Miles and miles of walking. Right now I can't even get 3/4 of a mile without stopping to sit three or four times. Aging is not for the faint of heart. It was an amazing trip indeed!

It sounds amazing! I’m glad you were able to do it at that time, before walking became worse. I’m sure you made some incredible memories.

SteveBrickNJ

Good evening!
I have a youtube channel. It just dawned on me that maybe some of my WDWMagic friends would find it interesting to view one of my compositions. It is 1 minute 23 seconds in length. This video is a song I composed for my best 5th grade flute player to perform at our band concert. I call it "A Cheerful Song".....and for demonstration purposes, I'm the one playing the flute. :joyfull::)

Cesar R M

So I just went to a hockey game (keep in mind that Providence is a dump no top tier city and we have the next step down from NHL.

Anyway: $40 a ticket if you bought through the team (ice level but still for a farm team?). We got tickets through AAA.
--A bottle soda or water - $5
--Can of domestic beer - $8
--Guinness - $10
--Pulled pork sandwich -$9
--Small cup of Nachos - $7

That's all I could spy by walking but the amount of people you see chowing down of food is crazy. It kinda makes some of Disney food prices a steal.
SWEET HEAVENS.. a 5$ soda? thats high level restaurants price lol o_o

Cesar R M

This blows my mind. I keep reading it from a few posters, and I’m just as confused every time. I’ve been mock planning Europe (2 travelers) for the past 2 years.. not even in the same ballpark as the prices that I keep seeing quoted.
I’ve traveled internationally with friends, spouse, and 28 days in Turkey by myself..I’ve done many countries in the Caribbean and Central America relatively reasonably several times, but Europe and beyond- no where close to the prices I keep reading, including Med or Northern Europe cruises, when combine with land.
Where do you all find these type of deals? I usually think I’m fairly savvy when it comes to that.
As someone who works in a travel research company that used to give concierge like services for best prices.. Prices change monthly, weekly, daily and even hourly in the big "processors" or "conglomerators" (hotels pro, reserve travel, Expedia, AGODA, etc..)

Certain dates on certain companies can offer HUGE savings for very limited time ( outlets, night events, etc..)when purchasing specific services.

Other companies offer "combos" that give huge savings, but you are forced to certain dates, hotels, airlines, etc.. and usually with no money back or refunds.

Its all about hitting the correct pieces like it was a giant lego set.

It took me a few months to research and confirm my trip to Alaska and WDW for example..
Finding the best prices and best dates...

Try checking multiple ranges of dates and see if you can find a better deal.. order by price and not by date... use Kayak's engine for wide comparisons... etc..etc..

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Where are the other 4 pair? I only see three--do you go barefoot the other 4 days? :p

I'm sorry. :( These were just the shoes I bought this afternoon. :) I shall take pictures of the other shoes I've bought over the last 2 weeks so you don't fret and worry about me going barefoot 4 days a week. ;)While today was all about top quality running shoes I did manage to pick up cute shoes and sandals and a pair of good non athletic shoes for walking in from time to time. Oh and did I mention cute boots?

I've mentioned for the last few weeks this is when quality apparel goes on mega clearance at the better stores and the higher quality shoes. Now 70 to 85% off and then I had 30 % off coupons for Good Will Donations. It's is pretty much their last call before it ships out to liquidators.

Gabe1

I like them all but I especially like the blue ones in the middle.

Thanks. Those are my Asics. They are my go to Disney Shoes. I take 2 pairs and a pair of Merrill sandals and I'm good. Except during our December trip. Nothing kept me and my feet warm that trip. Nasty cold for Florida.

How was your weather the rest of the week?

Gabe1

I thought they had gone to real chicken breast like Burger King.

I wonder that too. Something happens in the processing though. The texture in an all chicken breast is different than that of a chicken tender where you are biting into a solid piece of meat. Obviously no manufacture is going to get oval chicken nuggets without processing it, but I tend to believe it is likely the breast meat.

Was so happy to hear chicken tenders are coming back to Disney a trickle at a time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom