Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedMansionFLA

I often think how if TSM wasn’t literally the only family ride in the park for almost 10 years...would it have a different level of popularity and would it be having a whole new land built around it. When it’s the only option for the whole family in a park, of course everyone loves it.
For comparison at DCA, yes TSM is a popular ride but no where near the headliner multi hour wait it has at DHS.
I think when MMRR opens at studios it’s going to be a real eye opener to what a family ride can be, and when you actually give the guests some options how the popularity between the two may fair out...
I see small kids on ToT and Star Tours.

Bartattack

I was wondering... We have Woody standing at the entrance to Toy Story land from Pixar Place... but will there be another character standing at the entrance from Star Wars land? Can't seem to find anything on the model and concept pictures.

disnyfan89

True but isn’t there a height requirement on Mania? I never have really looked.

There is no official height limit however guest must be able to sit up right unsupported on their own in the seat. No lap sitting of any kind is allowed. So this has a sort of height requirement built in to it since kids would have to be at least toddler age/sized in order to meet the safety requirements.

mikejs78

Premium Member
But giving guests what they didn't know they wanted is the utmost form of catering to the masses. Most people aren't able to articulate what they'd like in a new ride or park because it's just not their passion or career. Naturally they resort to something they already see and know. That holds true for just about every creative medium. If Disney were to always give guests what they think or say they want, they would be out of business. So yes, I fully agree, but we're getting stuck over words.
This isn't just a principle of theme parks but a general product principle. People don't know what they want in specific terms, especially when it doesn't involve their area of expertise, but they know what they like when they see it.

An old product management Maxim says something to the effect of: If Henry Ford bad asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.'. While probably not 100% accurate (they may have said 'faster travel') it imlustrates the point that most probably would not have imagined a car.

Bringing this back to Disney, Disney has always looked at what appeals to people and done things that people couldn't have imagined as possible. That's why Haunted Mansion and Pirates are, to this day, so appealing. It's what people want, but not something they probably would have thought of.

Kman101

Because not every person who likes TSMM is stupid, that means every person who dislikes it is stupid. What a logical conclusion K!

No. Don't try and shift it. You attempted to talk down and lecture. That's how you came across. So I retorted with a snarky reply. I think we're probably both better than that. Like many things it's really not a big deal. I don't think anyone is stupid for liking it or disliking, so I don't know why you had to turn it into that. I like how giving an opinion that you don't like something is automatically calling those who do stupid. No. Don't make it what it wasn't.

No Name

No. Don't try and shift it. You attempted to talk down and lecture. That's how you came across. So I retorted with a snarky reply. I think we're probably both better than that. Like many things it's really not a big deal. I don't think anyone is stupid for liking it or disliking, so I don't know why you had to turn it into that. I like how giving an opinion that you don't like something is automatically calling those who do stupid. No. Don't make it what it wasn't.

I'm still completely baffled as to how you think I called anyone stupid. Let's move on.

Castle Cake Apologist

I really do think you were reading his tone wrong. He was just pointing out that it's a very popular ride, so Disney did something right when they built it. He never called anybody stupid, or talked down to anybody that I saw. He just said that the vast majority of guests like it, and they're not stupid, but that doesn't lead to an equivalency where people who don't like it are.

Just being a peacekeeper!

Kman101

I really do think you were reading his tone wrong. He was just pointing out that it's a very popular ride, so Disney did something right when they built it. He never called anybody stupid, or talked down to anybody that I saw. He just said that the vast majority of guests like it, and they're not stupid, but that doesn't lead to an equivalency where people who don't like it are.

Just being a peacekeeper!

No worries. I'm sure I took it wrong like always. Tone's not always the most transparent on a message board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom