Overnight Scout program, plus general tips

Autumnly

Original Poster
I'm doing an overnight Cub Scout program with my 7 and 10 year old boys in two weeks. I'm an uber-planner, and am not finding as much information on the internet as I'd hoped.

If you've done the overnight program before, is there anything you wish you'd known ahead of time, or any great tips for maximizing the experience? I'm not sure if we'll have a choice, but our group has reserved dolphin, manatee, sea turtle, manta, and coral reef for our sleep venues. Which are most likely to have animals visible late in the evening? Are the sleeping mats provided any protection from the floor, or should I plan to bring my own or a twin air mattress?

For the next day in the park, I've reserved the Dolphin Encounter at 11:15 and Dining with Shamu at 12:30 (and I am aware that the actual dining portion of this is with pilot whales, not orca). I've never been to Sea World but am eager to make the most of our time. My kids will not want to do the extreme coasters, and we can't stay until closing because I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me when we leave. Any pro tips for me, such as what's less crowded in the am vs pm, how early should we arrive for shows, where to get best views, etc? I'm a little worried the Seven Seas Food Festival will make it more crowded than normal for this time of year.

I'll bring plastic bags to protect my phone and camera from splashes... do I need coins or dollar bills for lockers? Anything like that to keep in mind?

Thank you, thank you!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It has been a looooong time since I did one of the Sea World sleepovers. It was in the Wild Arctic attraction when it was relatively new if that gives you any idea of the time frame.

The one piece of advice I can give is I would highly recommend an air mattress and ear plugs.

The mats we were provided with at that time were gym mats. They were better than bare concrete, but not by much.

The ear plugs are for the near 100% chance that at least one person in your group sounds like a busted chainsaw when they sleep.

joanna71985

I go every week. Regarding the shows- I typically like to sit down front, so I arrive at least 30 minutes prior (Dolphin Stadium and Sea Lion and Otter Stadium open 30 minutes to show, Shamu Stadium usually opens 45 minutes before). I would definitely bring a poncho if you sit in the splash zones for One Ocean and SLH, as it is possible to get SOAKED).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom