Hurricanes vs. Winter Storms

surfsupdon

miles1 said:
Sure, the Nor'easters and blizzards can be dangerous if you are on the immediate coast. But if you're five miles inland they are more of a pain in the buttocks than anything.

I live on a barrier island off the coast of NJ that is not as high profile as the Outerbanks, but it's even skinnier here than the land is there.

ANyway, I live on the bay front and about 800-1000 feet from the ocean. We have direct bay views, and still other views of the ocean.

Living so close on this island we get horrible weather, especially from all Nor'Easters which pound us. I havent lived through anything nearly as horrible as some of those huge hurricanes, but it is not abnormal for the ocean to reach the bay in the streets and yards, winds ot be in excessive of 100 (we have a weather center type thing on our roof--im a weather buff in addition to Disney, lol), and to have torrential wind driven rain, or worse, overpowering snow and wind.

ANyway, I live where I live and would never change it, and find that weather is fun and exciting, but you still MUST respect it.

Living in different areas of the country result in different phenomena. It's been happening forever, and it will be going on forever. And everything will equal out.

miles1

tigsmom said:
We are subject to Nor'easters which are winter hurricanes, but the effects seem to last longer. A few years back we were hit with 17 storms in a row (every Thursday & Monday)...I had a 15 ft high wall of snow at the end of my drive in May!

I remember it well. This was the winter my son was born. My wife went 2 1/2 weeks past due, and I would get up at 6 AM every Monday and Thursday at 6AM to shovel 10 or more inches of snow so we could get out of the driveway. This went on for about 3 or 4 weeks in a row. They wound up inducing labor in a snowstorm, which took another 36 hours, then I drove home in another snowstorm. Don't know how I made it home because I was half asleep. My neighbors wife was due the same week and wound up calling the public works department to come with a bucket loader to get them out to the hospital.

I still have pictures of us standing around next to the snow piles in May.

Thanks for reminding me. It is a fond memory now.

I am still moving to Florida.

RonB

Hey guys! I have a question...

My husband, brother and I were all having a debate about FL weather. They were saying they'd never move down there because of all the hurricanes and it was far too dangerous. I agreed that I thought hurricanes were very dangerous and deadly, but that it's dangerous to live up here too (ME/NH). We have snow six months out of the year, so it's dangerous to drive a lot. Accidents in vehicles are the #1 reason for deaths in the winter. We get at least two Nor'easters a year which are described as "...storms that have the potential to inflict more damage than many hurricanes because the high storm surge and high winds can last from 12 hours to 3 days, while the duration of hurricanes ranges from 6 to 12 hours." Obviously, this doesn't even include the ice storms, blizzards and regular winter storms we have to endure. I actually don't even remember one year without at least 2-3 power outages due to winter storms and I've lived here for 17 years.

I guess my question to y'all is: Do you think it's dangerous to live in FL? Is what y'all are experiencing this year normal? Or are there some years where things are really quiet?

Thanks in advance!!
I've lived in Syacuse for 70 years. Never told to evacuate. Never had to worry my house wouldn't be there when I got home. Never had to leave my animals home because I couldn't take them to shelter. Snowed in once for three day. Not in shelter for who knows how long? Every person I know who moved to the great state of Florida. Moved back. And. I'm not take about one or two. It's quite a few. So good luck.

rprvw

We moved from Kentucky to Central Florida about 4 years ago. Now saving up to get out of Florida. Looking at East Tennessee or back to Kentucky. Florida is OK I guess. Traffic is a nightmare. Everything everywhere is just a strip mall. So if you like heavy traffic and strip malls, move on down. Oh yeah healthcare in FL is next too third world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom