Status of the flu in DW

iowamouse

Original Poster
We're headed down to DW in about 25 days. I've heard conflicting reports about how bad the flu is in Florida (though mostly I hear about how bad it is in Florida right now). Whole family has had their flu shots. We have a preschooler & a preteen.
I plan to bring loads of sanitizer, as well as wash hands as often as possible. I'm close to having us wear masks on the plane, I really don't want to have the flu in our family. I have a brain tumor, and I mean, that sucks on its own, but I've got a heightened anxiety about illnesses / health because of it.
We can't really reschedule, and we'll be staying in the Orleans Riverside resort.
Where are the germ traps? I've heard the Buzz Lightyear ride should be avoided. Anything else come to mind? Any tips for staying healthy?
Also, any reports on how bad the flu is down there? I know people are carriers before they show symptoms, so I don't really know how to gauge that one. I am seeing our upcoming vacation with more fear than joy though, and I'd like to gauge how bad it is (so that maybe I can let some of this anxiety go.)
I'd love to just relax and enjoy our trip, and I will try while we're there! But being prepared makes things much easier.

rle4lunch

We're headed down to DW in about 25 days. I've heard conflicting reports about how bad the flu is in Florida (though mostly I hear about how bad it is in Florida right now). Whole family has had their flu shots. We have a preschooler & a preteen.
I plan to bring loads of sanitizer, as well as wash hands as often as possible. I'm close to having us wear masks on the plane, I really don't want to have the flu in our family. I have a brain tumor, and I mean, that sucks on its own, but I've got a heightened anxiety about illnesses / health because of it.
We can't really reschedule, and we'll be staying in the Orleans Riverside resort.
Where are the germ traps? I've heard the Buzz Lightyear ride should be avoided. Anything else come to mind? Any tips for staying healthy?
Also, any reports on how bad the flu is down there? I know people are carriers before they show symptoms, so I don't really know how to gauge that one. I am seeing our upcoming vacation with more fear than joy though, and I'd like to gauge how bad it is (so that maybe I can let some of this anxiety go.)
I'd love to just relax and enjoy our trip, and I will try while we're there! But being prepared makes things much easier.

Just got back a week ago. Our son got it on day 5 of a 8 day trip. We took every precaution, he still got it. Midnight ER run with confirmed flu at 2am. Fun stuff. It ran its course quick, but made the last 3 days pretty miserable

trainplane3

First off, ouch. I don't know what else to say about that. How will being in a plane affect you? The pressurized environment and such?

I'm the furthest thing from a germaphobe, but bring some wipes for the plane. Wipe down the seatbelt buckle, tray table, and armrests. I personally think if you're gonna get sick, it'll be in that 400mph tin can since they don't usually disinfect between flights (or don't do a good job of it).

I agree with Buzz Lightyear being nasty (it just looks it thanks to the lighting), maybe Toy Story Midway Mania and Mission: Space (or just avoid the joysticks?). And personally, I'd avoid the water fountains. I'll spend the money on bottles of water now and won't complain just to avoid it. I blame the fountains for giving me Mickeyzumas revenge back in August. Maybe bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the parks too?
Mainly:
Outside of taking the normal precautions against getting sick, this is really all you need to do. Don't spend you vacation panicking about the flu, you'll be absolutely miserable.
That^. Don't overthink it. Use common sense, don't lick door knobs/walls/glass, and chances are you'll be fine.

Finally, I think this should be moved over to WDW General Discussion. It doesn't really relate to news or rumors.

KBLovedDisney

Don't panic. From just reading the news, this flu is everywhere in the world right now... so yep, there's that. It's just everywhere, regardless. But it happens.

Just make sure to wash your hands after each bathroom break and before you eat.

If you get the flu, don't panic. If you are in Disney during the time when you get the flu, Disney carries helpful over-the-counter medicines on property to help with the symptoms. Make sure to take care and stay in the room during most of your trip (this part will suck, but you don't want to make yourself worse and spread it to others). But when you get back home, go see a doctor promptly.

If you get the flu and no remedies are helping during the trip (take fever reducers like Tylenol regardless), there is an app that you can get for free and you can video chat with a doctor who can help (LiveHealthOnline Mobile). When I got a really bad sinus infection after our trip last year, I wasn't able to make an appointment with my normal doctor because he was booked. So, I heard about this app, downloaded it and within about 15 minutes of entering my information: I had video chatted with a doctor, told him my symptoms, told him my go-to pharmacy and boom. I had a prescription waiting on me.

Depending on your insurance, it may be covered and you will only have to pay co-pay.

iowamouse

Original Poster
First off, ouch. I don't know what else to say about that. How will being in a plane affect you? The pressurized environment and such?
Supposedly I'll be fine, at least that's what the professionals tell me. It's a bit of an anxiety of mine as well, but I'm banking that the neuro team at Mayo knows what they're talking about. Supposed to be the best in the USA.

I agree with Buzz Lightyear being nasty (it just looks it thanks to the lighting), maybe Toy Story Midway Mania and Mission: Space (or just avoid the joysticks?). And personally, I'd avoid the water fountains. I'll spend the money on bottles of water now and won't complain just to avoid it. I blame the fountains for giving me Mickeyzumas revenge back in August. Maybe bring a small bottle of hand sanitizer in the parks too?
Good thoughts, thanks. I'll definitely be packing sanitizer as well. Thinking of loading up a super soaker and just really dousing the hell out of my family between rides (mostly joking)

Finally, I think this should be moved over to WDW General Discussion. It doesn't really relate to news or rumors.

How do I move it? I chose this forum for the "current events" but I can see I chose unwisely. Super newb here.

trainplane3

Supposedly I'll be fine, at least that's what the professionals tell me. It's a bit of an anxiety of mine as well, but I'm banking that the neuro team at Mayo knows what they're talking about. Supposed to be the best in the USA.

Good thoughts, thanks. I'll definitely be packing sanitizer as well. Thinking of loading up a super soaker and just really dousing the hell out of my family between rides (mostly joking)

How do I move it? I chose this forum for the "current events" but I can see I chose unwisely. Super newb here.
- Ah ya, I'd be willing to trust whatever they say. They're the professionals!

- Haha! I wouldn't go overboard on it, but I would definitely sanitize up before eating or after being on a certain ride (Buzz, MM, Flight of Passage handlebars?, maybe anywhere in Fantasyland due to kids?). Just focus on the fun and use common sense really.

- You can't move it, a moderator would have to if they believe it doesn't fit the section.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

I didn’t read all this thread but just thought I should make you aware. Local Hospital personnel here at home were notified that hand sanitizer is ineffective against flu this year. They suggested 100% rubbing alcohol to kill flu virus.

disney4life2008

I'm the furthest thing from a germaphobe, but bring some wipes for the plane. Wipe down the seatbelt buckle, tray table, and armrests. I personally think if you're gonna get sick, it'll be in that 400mph tin can since they don't usually disinfect between flights (or don't do a good job of it).

Mainly:

That^. Don't overthink it. Use common sense, don't lick door knobs/walls/glass, and chances are you'll be fine.

Ironically I rode buzz light year a few weeks ago only thing i did that night besides watch the fireworks. And I got sick. Maybe not a coincidence but I will say the last 3 times I have went to Disney the last few weeks I have gotten sick.

Figment82

If you’re worried about the cleanliness of the airplane, they actually make disposable seat covers - I’ve seen them on Amazon. I haven’t flown since I discovered them, so I don’t know how well they fit, etc. but it might be a nice option for some added peace of mind. I always bring sanitizing wipes and go over everything - especially the tray table.

As far as the parks go, I agree with what has already been said. Drink plenty of water and wash your hands often. I don’t know if this is a viable option for you, but I take a zinc vitamin every day. It’s said to be a natural way to boost your immune system. That could be a complete load of garbage, but my husband got a bad cold last month and even after being in close proximity the whole time, I never got sick. I swear by the stuff, lol!

I hope you have a wonderful, sickness-free trip!

I am Timmy

I actually bring bleach wipes to wipe everything down - on planes, in the room (upon first arriving), in the parks, in the bathrooms, you name it. Anything skin might touch. Also, since it was slightly chilly on my last trip, I brought thin gloves and wore them most of the time, so when I was eating I could just take them off and hand sanitize (it made me feel better, although not sure if it actually helped!). Not sure which is better for killing viruses - sanitizer (alcohol) or bleach, but you could do a quick search and figure out what to use (maybe both!). Good luck, sending good trip vibes your way!

Hayley In Wonderland

I was out there in November, visiting from the UK. 2 nights before we were due to come home, I was in an uber heading back from the place that shall not be named, and suddenly started shivering uncontrollably. I felt fine so put it down to the air con in the car. As soon as I got to the hotel room, I had to get straight under the blanket. We pulled the one off the spare bed and the spare they keep in the bathroom, but try as I might I just could not stop shaking. The next morning I woke up feeling the most ill I have ever felt in my life. By midday I was feeling well enough to head out but had to wrap up and take regular breaks. The day we were due to go home, I was throwing up and all sorts. I had no idea how I was going to make the 10 hour flight home.

I'm not sure if it was some weird american flu and my body just freaked out or if it was just because of how exhausted I was from the 10 day trip, but I legit thought I was going to die. Next time I'll be sure to bring hand santitiser, plenty of cold and flu capsules (the ones I bought in the gift shop literally did nothing)

Kristamouse

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago. We have 6 children from ages 2 to 13. I was very nervous and was also hearing reposts of the parks being overrun, Walking Dead style, by flu stricken guests.
That was NOT our experience:) We drove and stayed in two hotels (while driving) and a condo. I used Purell Professional food safe spray that kills H1N1 and Mersa on every hard surface I could find in each place. I still look for bed bugs as well.
I kept our diet healthy leading up to the trip and we stayed on our usual Pro Biotics. And I made sure rest was a priority. Once there our diet included all of the delicious WDW snacks but we also had fresh fruit and veggies daily and we were in bed pretty close to our normal routine.
While in Orlando we made sure all of us were bathed before bed and I washed anything we took in the parks nightly, hoodies/blankets the baby used/clothing. This was tough as our toddlers were dozing off on the ride back to the condo a few nights. All cups and water bottles were washed in the dishwasher nightly.
We took many restroom breaks to wash hands, the companion bathrooms were great as I could monitor that all of our kids were proplerly washing their hands. A freshly potty trained two year old also kept in in bathrooms, often.
In lines we kept reminding them to keep their hands in their pockets! My younger kids did much better than my teens at this:/ We said it so often I am sure that will be a memory from this trip they will laugh at later. Other guests in line were like, YES! Pockets not hand rails.
I wiped down our stroller nightly with the Purell Profession spray and I used Colorx wipes at all quick service and snack stops on trays/tables etc.
I also packed a small hospital of meds Incase of an illness.
Did I go overboard? Perhaps, but we have been home a week and are still healthy.
I saw two people with a hospital style masks on all week. I saw no more than the usual amount of sneezing/coughing/etc.
There are several santizer stations around the parks, close to the food service areas.
Do what eases your own anxiety and enjoy the week.

Kristamouse

I realized I didn’t answer your question. For you Toddler the standby line for Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Whinny the Pooh and Mine Teain all have interactive set prices that guest can play with in line. We utilized the FP line to avoid these and then BEG not to touch.
Mission Space, Buzz, Toy Story, and Spinner(Dumbo/Carpets/etc) all have things to touch to control the experience. We bee line right to the bathroom to wash hand after these, which was easy because bathrooms are all close to thoose attractions.
Good to hear your tumor situation is under control. Cheers to Good Health and a fantastic vacation:)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It is what it is, flu shots won't do anything (10% effective this year), hand sani can only do so much. Its a risk. I got the flu after my visit in December 2012, however we just got back a few weeks ago and didn't get it. If you are are planning and aren't going to cancel, enjoy yourself and like what many have said, take your typical precautions (tell the kids and the adults to not touch their face after any rides or really anytime) drink your OJ or Kale smoothies and enjoy.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It is what it is, flu shots won't do anything (10% effective this year)
Are flu shots ever effective though? I dont have kids, but see the articles about parents who have vaccinated their kids but are upset with parents who have not. If your child is vaccinated, whats the worry? Unless the vaccine doesnt work. If So, why what would it matter even if the other kids are or are not vaccinated?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Are flu shots ever effective though? I dont have kids, but see the articles about parents who have vaccinated their kids but are upset with parents who have not. If your child is vaccinated, whats the worry? Unless the vaccine doesnt work. If So, why what would it matter even if the other kids are or are not vaccinated?
Without me going into my personal beliefs on Flu shots, it doesn't prevent you from getting the flu. Many say it will reduce the symptoms or shorten the duration but it won't prevent you from getting the flu. I don't have kids either but I believe most schools require the kids to get it. Tamaflu is in the same vain, once you have symptoms, that medicine will only reduce/hide some of the symptoms but doesn't really "cure" the flu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom