The Flu 😷

danitaytay

My cousins just left for WDW yesterday and their dad had to stay home from the trip they were planning for over a year because he got the flu the night before. So I wouldn't take any chances and just get the flu shot just to avoid any chances. I'm getting mine tomorrow before my trip!

Princess Leia

I felt pretty sick towards the end of my trip. I don’t think it was the flu, but it was at the very least, a very bad cold. First 3 days, no problem. Day 4.... a little sniffly, Day 5 fairly sniffly, Day 6 (aka Departure Day) I got one of the worst earaches on my life on the flight home, in addition to being completely stuffed up. And me being me, I went right to work after getting off the plane instead of realizing I was sick and needed rest.

I don’t know if I got it on the plane to Orlando, or if I picked it up after hugging Chewbacca (sorry to drag you into this, Chewie), but I felt and looked dreadful by the end of my trip (something my coworkers kept telling me). Bring some meds, just in case. Lots of tiny hand sanitizers too.

Now, in regards to the flu shot. I didn’t get it for years... and then I got my job at a healthcare company 3 years ago. If I don’t want to wear a mask at work during the flu season, I have to get the shot. And while the people predicting the strains have been pretty incorrect about what will be the major flu, I’m still glad I got the shot.

Another reason to get the shot- for those who have weakened immune systems. I had a second cousin who had leukemia (she’s better now), and she couldn’t get the shot or be around those who didn’t get the shot. I have a friend who has CF, and she can’t get the shot either. I know religious and vegan reasons come into play with this kind of vaccine, but if it’s not against your belief system, I highly recommend getting it.

Tick Tock

While I've been lucky in the past many years to dodge the flu, I have suffered a Man Cold once in awhile, usually in late autumn when I'm too stupid to realize short-sleeve weather is long over. Let me tell you, there is no fate worse than the Man Cold.

As for this time of year, it also wouldn't hurt to take vitamin C daily.

NelleBelle

While I've been lucky in the past many years to dodge the flu, I have suffered a Man Cold once in awhile, usually in late autumn when I'm too stupid to realize short-sleeve weather is long over. Let me tell you, there is no fate worse than the Man Cold.

Oh no! Not a Man Cold!! Those are worse than the flu (especially for the wives of those with a Man Cold ;), sorry...couldn't resist)!!

I am Timmy

When we go to DW, I start my family on a daily regimen of Airborne a few days before we leave (we fly). I bring enough for each of us to continue it every day of the trip, and keep taking it a few days after we get home. I bring bleach wipes to wipe the room down after check in. I also bring meds for symptoms with me - ibuprofen, sudafed, cough syrup, nasal spray, mentholatum, heating pad, cough drops, crystallized ginger (nausea), imodium, and a couple types of tea bags. I rarely need this stuff. When we were in DW in Dec. half the people in the parks were coughing - everywhere. Not typical, mind you, but it can happen. Well, we got sick, too. We stayed in our room for a day, took our meds, slept, drank tea and water, and moved on with our lives. Except for my youngest (ds 22), he needed more - our front desk called us a van from Centra Care. Only took a few hours, got his meds filled, had him back to our resort and resting. He needed an extra day of rest, but then he was good to go as well. Just have a contingency plan, take meds with you, get the flu shot, and enjoy. You can deal with anything that pops up, and Disney is fabulous in a crisis. You'll be fine, and remember what Edna Mode says, "luck favors the prepared".

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I don’t understand your kind. ;)
I don't understand your kind :p ;)
8561abf94edfa584f4c5b8515cfdbaf4caf5ee69c342762440c659b7db03afc3.jpg
bf0c8f9de2c835044a97f53e2de67a1b8e85696dbe135e2185a25185bbadf3ae.jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

1000 mg, with food.

njDizFan

Sorry, what does wearing short sleeves have to do with being infected by a virus?

drizgirl

You clearly have never had the Man Flu.

21stamps

Remember with the flu shot, it’s not just you that you’re protecting. There are people- very young, very old, medical/allergic reason as to why they can’t get it- who you are putting at risk, potentially life threatening risk, by spreading the germs around.
Flu shots won’t make any or all forms of the flu go away altogether.. but, If everyone got the shot, then there would be soooo many less cases of the flu every year.

disneyspirit

Be smart. Wash hands, don't push yourself to much if you start to get worn down, stay well hyrdrated. And it's not necessarily WDW that will get you, but the airplane. The recycled air from 100+ people means odds are someone is sick with something.

An oncologist told my dentist to put Neosporin around your nostrils on the plane so that germs are trapped and killed before getting into your nose. I do it and hope no one wonders why I look like I sniff Vaseline. I used to pick up something almost every time I flew.

NelleBelle

An oncologist told my dentist to put Neosporin around your nostrils on the plane so that germs are trapped and killed before getting into your nose. I do it and hope no one wonders why I look like I sniff Vaseline. I used to pick up something almost every time I flew.
They do treat those who are positive for MRSA (symptom free) by having you put bactriban (triple antibiotic ointment) up your nose, so maybe that's not such a bad idea??

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1. Neosporin kills bacteria. Colds and flus are viruses. Neosporin does nothing for them.

2. If the virus/bacteria are airborne, which they are, and you breathe air into your lungs, then the virus/bacteria gets into your lungs. Putting Neosporin around or in the nostrils does not create a filter through which all air flows so as to catch the virus and bacteria. IOW, it won't help. Also, your nasal cavities are much larger than just your nostrils. And airborne bacteria/virus can easily land anywhere in your nasal cavities and infect you.

3. Here is an important application warning for Neosporin: Neosporin is for external use only and should not be applied near mucus membranes such as the eyes or mouth.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1000 mg, with food.

And for the trifecta of busting cold myths: If you're getting your minimum Vitamin C requirements through your diet (which is normally the case for people in First World countries), then there is no amount of extra Vitamin C that will reduce risk of contracting a cold. This has been proven over and over again. The same holds true for zinc or any other OTC 'medication' which makes the claim of protecting oneself from a cold. If such a thing existed, as proved by scientific studies, every doctor would be shouting it from the mountaintops. It doesn't exist.

Now, if you do have the cold, then it would be wise to take extra Vitamin C because it has been shown that Vitamin C levels drop when one has a cold. You don't want to add a mild form of scurvy to your cold. However, taking Vitamin C in advance has shown no benefit. Especially since Vitamin C is water soluble and any extra you take is pretty quickly flushed out of you.

drcasey

And for the trifecta of busting cold myths: If you're getting your minimum Vitamin C requirements through your diet (which is normally the case for people in First World countries), then there is no amount of extra Vitamin C that will reduce risk of contracting a cold. This has been proven over and over again. The same holds true for zinc or any other OTC 'medication' which makes the claim of protecting oneself from a cold. If such a thing existed, as proved by scientific studies, every doctor would be shouting it from the mountaintops. It doesn't exist.

Now, if you do have the cold, then it would be wise to take extra Vitamin C because it has been shown that Vitamin C levels drop when one has a cold. You don't want to add a mild form of scurvy to your cold. However, taking Vitamin C in advance has shown no benefit. Especially since Vitamin C is water soluble and any extra you take is pretty quickly flushed out of you.

You mentioned scientific studies in your post. I’d like to draw your attention to a recent study which shows some strong evidence for the use of zinc to treat a cold. When taken appropriately, zinc can shorten the duration of a cold by upwords of 40%, which is pretty significant.
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the flu shot and medicine in general. I would encourage those who are not medical professionals to refrain from giving medical advice and making claims about healthcare in general. We are all in this together after all!

Here is the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5418896/#!po=68.8679

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom