The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

12in12

Ugh....why do people do that? When we were living with my in-laws, we had been to every single bank and mortgage company in Arnhem and had basically been told my husband didn't make enough to get a mortgage. So we started looking to rent and my in-laws had never owned a house, so they had no clue how mortgages work. They kept insisting we had to BUY a home, because if you rented, it was a waste of money...we would never own it. We tried explaining to them that you couldn't BUY if you couldn't get approved, and we couldn't, but they just didn't understand. So they went out walking, saw a house 2 blocks from where they were living (Free...it was part of my FIL's job as concierge at the school that he live on the property) and they came home and were suddenly engrossed in something on the computer....neither of them were EVER on the computer, so I asked what was so interesting. "NOTHING!" Then my husband came home, and they waited until I left the room, and called my husband over to "look at the house they found for us to buy". Which was about 400,000 Euros, when the MOST we could get according to the banks was 105,000, and then you were looking at one bedroom flats in bad parts of town, not homes where we could finally start a family.:rolleyes: They went to great trouble to keep it from me, because they knew I "wouldn't want to buy it". They didn't see any need for me to be involved in the picking of my own home or the decision to rent or to buy. I still don't think they understand how mortgages work. They think you pick out the house you want to buy, go to the bank and ask for a loan to buy it and that's it. They don't understand that everything is calculated on how much you make, how likely it is you will keep making at LEAST that amount, etc.
I actually could have borrowed more for my mortgage but didn't want to. A few of my friends have mortgages that eat up so much of their money they struggle to even have 1 half decent holiday a year and they need 25 or 30 years to pay it off. Once I calculated how much interest I would pay on a mortgage like that I decided to buy something under budget with a shorter mortgage. Plus I love my little place and my monthly bills are low enoughso I can still have a life.

12in12

Nope nope nope....I'm not cooking on my vacation! The thing I look forward to the most on any vacation is not having to cook! Plus, the time traveling between the parks and the hotel would eat up too much time. Been there, done that. I might consider renting a car so we could do some excursions, and we ARE planning to visit WWoHP at Universal Studios on our next trip, so it won't ONLY be Disney. But it's not so much Disney Overload that's the problem...it's DH's lack of patience combined with DS's tendency to have meltdowns. And it's not exclusive to Disney. It happens whether we go to my in-laws' house for the day, or go to a techniekdag, or for a weekend in Dublin, etc. Traveling is hard with DS, and I get that, but I don't think the answer is just to never go anywhere. That won't help DS to adjust, or to cope with uncomfortable situations, and it certainly won't make for a happy mommy, because I need a break sometimes.
Got it, no cooking! Mea culpa ;)

Songbird76

Just curious as I've never been out of the US...how does airport security compare over there to here in the US?
It's very similar. For International flights, they recommend you get there about 3 hours in advance. You have to take off your shoes, take your electronics out, have a clear ziplock bag for toiletries you have in the carry-on, etc. Coming back INTO the country is a WHOLE lot easier, in my opinion. I have to go through the non-EU citizen passport check, but that's what takes the longest. You don't have to fill in the customs form about what you are bringing into the country like you do when you fly INTO the US. And 9 times out of 10 you can just walk out the doors because there's no one standing there inspecting said form and asking you questions about it like they do when you enter the US. So flying out of EU is about the same, coming back INTO the EU is a bit easier. We actually had to go through security and take off our shoes 3 times once in Florida coming INTO the country. We had to take out all the electronics, take shoes off, and go through the metal detectors before we could even get to the baggage area, then we had to go through the passport check I think? And do it again, and then when we got our luggage, we had to go through another scan with the luggage....it was murder, because DS was 2 and didn't understand why he had to take his shoes off....he thought they were confiscating them and had a meltdown every. single. time. Now, we're pros at security, but we've never had that kind of screening coming INTO the US since that one time. Just the passport check, hand in the form, they look at it, ask you a few questions, and you're through.

12in12

I saw a recipe from it on a vegan cooking blog I frequent. I tried the recipe posted. It was a vegan burrito. It was the same day @dryerlintfan said her dh was making burritos or enchiladas. I had a craving then for Mexican and it just so happened this was the most recent recipe posted. I had all the ingredients on hand and went for it. Then I went to the bloggers actual site and I checked out some other recipes. I was so intrigued and the burrito/enchilada thingies came out so good that I decided to buy the book. There is a recipe for a crabless crabcake that uses cauliflower and artichoke and I am wanting to try that especially since I have a can of artichokes that need to be used.
I hope the crabless crab cakes turn out delicious. They would be the only kind of crab cakes I would eat.

MySmallWorldof4

wow.....1 year....that's NOTHING. Appalling! Something that big should at least get 5 years!!
I agree. I do use it everyday. We don't have a toaster or toaster oven. I have issues with counters and counter space. I don't like anything on my counters. Every appliance needs to be put away after I use it except the breadmaker. So I never wanted a toaster. Dh said we probably put 5 years of use on it after the 13 months. Well worse comes to worse if it is an expensive fix then I will use my home warranty. Hoping it is something simple though.

Cesar R M

8o2lq2y.gif

Figgy1

Premium Member
Nope nope nope....I'm not cooking on my vacation! The thing I look forward to the most on any vacation is not having to cook! Plus, the time traveling between the parks and the hotel would eat up too much time. Been there, done that. I might consider renting a car so we could do some excursions, and we ARE planning to visit WWoHP at Universal Studios on our next trip, so it won't ONLY be Disney. But it's not so much Disney Overload that's the problem...it's DH's lack of patience combined with DS's tendency to have meltdowns. And it's not exclusive to Disney. It happens whether we go to my in-laws' house for the day, or go to a techniekdag, or for a weekend in Dublin, etc. Traveling is hard with DS, and I get that, but I don't think the answer is just to never go anywhere. That won't help DS to adjust, or to cope with uncomfortable situations, and it certainly won't make for a happy mommy, because I need a break sometimes.
Don't discount the villa option so quickly. I cooked when I wanted and found it easier to drive to and from the parks. Except for the MK monorail days we made better time than with Disney Transportation. Not to mention the kids having their own rooms and bathrooms

StarWarsGirl

In Europe and the UK it is pretty similar to the US, immigration is easier for me obviously as I have a Dutch passport, I can use the electronic scanner for my passport control and walk through without any hassle. I'll let you know how things go tomorrow when I fly to the States.
I just saw your posts about now being in a hotel outside of an airport and thought, "Oh good griefb multiple times through security" then I started thinking, "Wait, is it different internationally?" I had no idea about all the customs inspections coming into the US though. Although, given how they are going into Hawaii and then going back onto the mainland, I guess that could have tipped me off...

Cesar R M

Just curious as I've never been out of the US...how does airport security compare over there to here in the US?
Depends on the country and city.
In my hometown the security is kinda lax.
Its a touristic one who noone messes up with tourists.. bad things happen to those who do so. (and not exactly by the justice system)

Mexico city for example is more "up to standards" with sensors similar to the US (body scans) but used sparsely.

Cesar R M

Right, but that's why I said I'd rather go in 2019 then, and then again later...because I also remember ROL and FEA being pushed back. I don't remember when Pandora was supposed to open, but did it open on time? Disney's track record with scheduling leads me to believe it won't actually open in 2019. And then I don't want to be there in 2020. But I also don't want to be there in 2021 with the anniversary, and I REALLY don't want to wait another 4 years before we go! Who knows what gems they'll have closed by that time. Glad I did Energy and Great Movie ride in 2016! But on the off chance they will actually finish on time, (which, WHEN in 2019 does it open?) I'd rather go in 2019 and just NOT do SW stuff, and then do that later. DD hates all things SW, and while DS loves it, he wouldn't do ANY of the SW stuff in DLP. So I don't want to plan my trip around SW, but it WILL affect crowd levels. And I expect that, if they are late with opening it, many people will put off their trips until it is open, so then 2019 might be the best year to go because it won't be as busy. See my dilemma?
A lot of people will try to get there when the new attractions open,so I dont think it will not be "as busy".
Remember hardcore fans will even try to "gravitate" the parks for soft openings.
Delays for disney usually are on average 1 to 2 months. And technical issues are usually up to 1 year later.

If you want to go, then go. But you will never be sure that Galaxy's Edge will be open.

IF galaxy's edge is open.. it will be more busier than ever.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Harrowing drive into the office today. Even the large highways are completely slushy. Two accidents happened in front of me and I had to go off roading to get around them. The side streets are absolutely terrible, too.

I'm ready for Elsa to bring back summer, now....

That's the one thing that bugs me about the work world--wish it was like schools, where they have a few hours delay, so that the trucks can keep up with the road clearing. :mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom