The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SuddenStorm

Splash Mountain goes down for a refurb in early January, and a reopen date hasn't been announced.

Is this the update we've been waiting for? Where they go through and make the ride look new? Some of the effects haven't worked in YEARS.

@GiveMeTheMusic Have you heard anything?

Darkbeer1

Well, Splash HAS to close about once a year due to its being a flume ride (aka Dry it and the logs out).

Now, will they spend the money on what most think is much needed repairs? Well, the bean counters don't always agree with most of us....

Rich T

In the current Disney canon, at what point did Tinker Bell change from a talkative, intelligent, helpful and caring member of the pixie community into a jealous, psychotic Peter Pan fangirl willing to order the murder of any female she views as a threat?

SuddenStorm

In the current Disney canon, at what point did Tinker Bell change from a talkative, intelligent, helpful and caring member of the pixie community into a jealous, psychotic Peter Pan fangirl willing to order the murder of any female she views as a threat?

What's worse, is how Disney uses the 3D Tinker Bell in the newer stuff, instead of the classic 2D.

Changing the 2D Tinker Bell in Fantasmic! to the 3D is a change I'll never forgive, since a vast majority of the audience doesn't watch Disney channel and has little connection to the 3d version.

Rich T

I feel really, really sorry for everyone who worked on Ferdinand. Looks like a really funny, entertaining (if typical CGI fare) adaptation of one of my favorite children's stories. And it's opening against Star Wars.

Phroobar

I feel really, really sorry for everyone who worked on Ferdinand. Looks like a really funny, entertaining (if typical CGI fare) adaptation of one of my favorite children's stories. And it's opening against Star Wars.
I'll see Ferdinand on Netflix eventually. Of course I'll see The Last Jedi at least three times in the theater before that.

Darkbeer1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-society-with-dopamine-driven-feedback-loops/

>>A former Facebook executive is making waves after he spoke out about his “tremendous guilt” over growing the social network, which he feels has eroded “the core foundations of how people behave by and between each other.”

Chamath Palihapitiya began working for Facebook in 2007 and left in 2011 as its vice president for user growth. When he started, he said, there was not much thought given to the long-term negative consequences of developing such a platform.

“I think in the back, deep, deep recesses of our minds, we kind of knew something bad could happen,” said Palihapitiya, 41. “But I think the way we defined it was not like this.”<<

>>“It literally is a point now where I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. That is truly where we are,” he said. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works: no civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem. This is not about Russian ads. This is a global problem.”<<

Phroobar

I'm considering adding Circle to my wireless network. this is a parental control and internet filter. It allows for time limits and control over wireless devices per user via your smart phone. Easy to setup and configure. The kids spend way too much time watching youtube and social media applications.

https://meetcircle.com/

Rich T

Has anyone else got onto Tom Sawyer Island, and wondered why did I come here?
Not as long as there's still Inj-- I mean, Dead Man's Cove to walk through. And it's the only place you can see the full top-to-bottom view of Splash Mtn.'s drop. Ducks are nice. Erm...trees... When it was actually a *great* place long ago, I used to love to get a brownie and lemonade (even though they didn't really taste great together) at the fort, go out the back exit, and sit on an elevated rock overhang at that far corner of the island. Hardly anyone walked by, and it was just peaceful & relaxing with no sign of civilization except the Mark Twain passing by.

Man, it's hard to believe how wonderfully old school you-could-die-if-you-don't-use-common-sense the island used to be. I mean, even as a kid I marveled that there was an umarked, unfenced ledge leading to a seven-foot drop to the ground. And yet, nobody died or sued because guests had brains back then! :D

Rich T

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-society-with-dopamine-driven-feedback-loops/

>>A former Facebook executive is making waves after he spoke out about his “tremendous guilt” over growing the social network, which he feels has eroded “the core foundations of how people behave by and between each other.”

Chamath Palihapitiya began working for Facebook in 2007 and left in 2011 as its vice president for user growth. When he started, he said, there was not much thought given to the long-term negative consequences of developing such a platform.

“I think in the back, deep, deep recesses of our minds, we kind of knew something bad could happen,” said Palihapitiya, 41. “But I think the way we defined it was not like this.”<<

>>“It literally is a point now where I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. That is truly where we are,” he said. “The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works: no civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem. This is not about Russian ads. This is a global problem.”<<
I hate Facebook and all it stands for. And yet, I do think it's a social evolution hurdle the human race has to deal with and survive. Even if Facebook had never been created, somebody would have invented a similar platform sooner or later.

Rich T

I'll see Ferdinand on Netflix eventually. Of course I'll see The Last Jedi at least three times in the theater before that.
They should create a Ferdinand trailer to show before Last Jedi that's similar to the Monster's Inc. trailer that ran before Harry Potter. Have the bulls dressed like Jedi and encouraging the audience to check out their movie after they've seen the Star Wars film. "Playing in a theater near you. Really near. Like, just down the hall!" :D

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I hate Facebook and all it stands for. And yet, I do think it's a social evolution hurdle the human race has to deal with and survive. Even if Facebook had never been created, somebody would have invented a similar platform sooner or later.
Someone did invent a platform before Facebook.
His name was Tom. And that platform was called MySpace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom