News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

wdwgreek

There's a difference in seeing a themed element in the wrong environment (SM from FLE) to seeing an unthemed show building from anywhere inside a park
See I'm not so much worried about a building painted go away green or blue, as I am about the bleeding from one land to another. Don't get me wrong seeing show buildings irks me, but take HoP or Small world show buildings, or even random parts of main street and tomorrow land land, they have been plainly visible from day 1. Edit: I don't think this would be an issue of seeing it from anywhere in the park, mainly at a few angles, but it seems to mainly blend in with the canopy. It won't be as egregious as say Dumbo's queue.

Timothy_Q

See I'm not so much worried about a building painted go away green or blue, as I am about the bleeding from one land to another. Don't get me wrong seeing show buildings irks me, but take HoP or Small world show buildings, or even random parts of main street and tomorrow land land, they have been plainly visible from day 1.
Well, in this case, the Tron building is both a visible unthemed show building as it is one land bleeding into another (assuming FLE angle)

peter11435

See I'm not so much worried about a building painted go away green or blue, as I am about the bleeding from one land to another. Don't get me wrong seeing show buildings irks me, but take HoP or Small world show buildings, or even random parts of main street and tomorrow land land, they have been plainly visible from day 1. Edit: I don't think this would be an issue of seeing it from anywhere in the park, mainly at a few angles, but it seems to mainly blend in with the canopy. It won't be as egregious as say Dumbo's queue.
I don't believe there is any visible parts of the Hop or Small world show buildings that are left completely unthemed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2012/08/go-away-green.html
Take a gander through that post for some pretty bad showbuildings.

They missed one...

upload_2017-11-20_19-17-19.png

peter11435

I don't think they have a customer base that is as demanding as all of us. At least until they become better educated about theme park design.
Interesting perspective...

I guess we demanded that the backsides of Everest and pandora both be left bare and visible to all guests arriving by car and bus.

TrojanUSC

I don't believe there is any visible parts of the Hop or Small world show buildings that are left completely unthemed.

The Small World show building is sunken below the park level substantially so it is almost blocked completely by the Fantasyland-side facade. In Fantasyland you are two full stories from sea level, and while the rest of the park it's one story. Haunted Mansion benefits from this elevation also.

As I mentioned above, Space Mountain is built about one story into the ground. It's evident on your return up the moving walkway. One would assume they will take advantage of this same elevation for TRON to help disguise the building.

lazyboy97o

The Small World show building is sunken below the park level substantially so it is almost blocked completely by the Fantasyland-side facade. In Fantasyland you are two full stories from sea level, and while the rest of the park it's one story. Haunted Mansion benefits from this elevation also.

As I mentioned above, Space Mountain is built about one story into the ground. It's evident on your return up the moving walkway. One would assume they will take advantage of this same elevation for TRON to help disguise the building.
The original elevation of the Magic Kingdom site is not sea level. The water level of Bay Lake is about 94’ NGVD 1929 (above “sea level”).

TRON Light Cycle Power Run really cannot be sunk into the ground too much. We also know the walkway will go over the railroad and this is the upper level of Tomorrowland at Shanghai Disneyland.

TrojanUSC

The original elevation of the Magic Kingdom site is not sea level. The water level of Bay Lake is about 94’ NGVD 1929 (above “sea level”).

TRON Light Cycle Power Run really cannot be sunk into the ground too much. We also know the walkway will go over the railroad and this is the upper level of Tomorrowland at Shanghai Disneyland.

The base of Space Mountain is sunk about 15' below the park level, as the guest-accessible areas of the park are built up substantially. You're roughly on the second floor of a two-story structure standing in Tomorrowland, while on the third floor in most of Fantasyland. Aside from the utilidors, this grading allowed the easier obstruction of show buildings. Current cast members arriving to work at Space Mountain must physically cross the railroad track near where the TRON structure will go, then descend an outdoor staircase which takes them down to the base of the building. It stands to reason that the same elevation will be used for TRON as is used for Space Mountain.

TrojanUSC

Here's the plan with a satellite view.View attachment 245681

If you look just above the People Mover track entering Space Mountain, you'll see a small sidewalk through the grass. That is the current Cast Member entrance to Space Mountain, just at the end of that, over the railroad tracks is very steep staircase that takes cast members down to the natural ground level. This is what makes me think that by essentially building at the same level as Space Mountain a few meters over, they will be able to hide the structure in the same way they are able to hide those of Small World, Haunted Mansion and Splash.

If there's one thing Disney is good at, it's hiding show buildings - guests who take backstage tours at MK are regularly shocked that Splash Mountain or Haunted Mansion actually take place in essentially giant warehouses. It never even crosses their mind.

Dinosaur is another incredible example of hiding this stuff, it's completely seamless and there they just built a slight incline up to the attraction, as most of the park is on natural ground level.

lazyboy97o

If there's one thing Disney is good at, it's hiding show buildings
Except that this very attraction is not well hidden. Lowering the building too much would only make the box more apparent behind the canopy. A lower building is not a solution to the sign lines problem. There is no reason to anticipate that the re-entry will be redesigned to disguise the warehouse you are entering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom