Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I really like the set up to Dinosaur... you walk through a dinosaur museum, nothing very interesting, you go into a pre-show that seems quite corporate until things go a little... wrong... and then you get on the ride and (on your first ride) it is quite a terrifying surprise.
Having someone put you in a 55 gallon barrel and beat it with two-by-fours would be just as terrifying and surprising.

GlacierGlacier

I'm mildly confused at people suggesting Moana for Animal Kingdom. The only way I could ever see that being reasonable is if they threw it back where rafiki's planet watch is. But Moana is a fantasy, musical, childrens property, despite its base in polynesian culture. I'd see it as a worse addition than Indiana Jones, tonally.

bclane

I'm mildly confused at people suggesting Moana for Animal Kingdom. The only way I could ever see that being reasonable is if they threw it back where rafiki's planet watch is. But Moana is a fantasy, musical, childrens property, despite its base in polynesian culture. I'd see it as a worse addition than Indiana Jones, tonally.
I guess to me Moana fits AK as much as A Bugs Life, Finding Nemo/Lion King, a Yeti, a time traveling ride, and a sci-fi fantasy about giant Indian smurfs. But really, I just want a immersive South Pacific Land where HeiHei gets to save the day...so I’m obviously biased.

the.dreamfinder

Moana would NOT work at all in DAK. Tonally and thematically not appropriate.
I’d say it wouldn’t be temporally appropriate since DAK takes place in the present day, but post conflict Pandora is centuries from now.

Moana can work in DAK, but I don’t think the company wants to stomach another big budget Joe Rohde joint.

BTW, Tokyo DisneySea would be the park where she has the strongest thematic connection.

Pixieish

Edutainment is soooo 1980s.

Today, it's all about including IPs to make it "relevant"!
Actually, if you think about it, ALL of Disney's creations are IP-based. The only difference between the new ones and the originals are that the new ones are focused on new IPs, rather than ones like Snow White, which is based on a story from the middle ages.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Actually, if you think about it, ALL of Disney's creations are IP-based. The only difference between the new ones and the originals are that the new ones are focused on new IPs, rather than ones like Snow White, which is based on a story from the middle ages.
Well, yeah, I suppose, if you say an IP is strictly an IP. I meant more a popular IP...like a character tie in.

But, World of Motion didn't initially include that sort of IP. Neither did The Land. Neither did the Living Seas. Or Horizons.

At least not a recognizable one...

They had their own unique stories to tell, and told them well (especially Living Seas and Horizons).

That...isn't what they do anymore.

Jones14

I’m not opposed to Moana in AK. Maui’s destructive relationship with nature is the catalyst for the whole plot, and Moana’s respect for it saves the day.

Putting it in Dinorama would also solve a lot of AK’s problems (as perceived by Disney, and assuming it is a large-scale ride):

Family friendly (likely boat) ride
Disney IP
Clean and Bright (AK gets knocked for being “dingy”, which is dumb but I digress)
It (probably) saves the Tiki Birds and Dinosaur
Nemo makes a little more sense by virtue of being closer to the “ocean”

As far as the IP invasion goes, I’d actually be on board with this.

Pixieish

Well, yeah, I suppose, if you say an IP is strictly an IP. I meant more a popular IP...like a character tie in.

But, World of Motion didn't initially include that sort of IP. Neither did The Land. Neither did the Living Seas. Or Horizons.

At least not a recognizable one...

They had their own unique stories to tell, and told them well (especially Living Seas and Horizons).

That...isn't what they do anymore.

Well, Epcot was really the only park that did that to any extent, so it's a little irrational to expect all the parks to do that. (I'm not dissing edutainment by any stretch - I want our original Epcot back.)

EricsBiscuit

I’d say it wouldn’t be temporally appropriate since DAK takes place in the present day, but post conflict Pandora is centuries from now.

Moana can work in DAK, but I don’t think the company wants to stomach another big budget Joe Rohde joint.

BTW, Tokyo DisneySea would be the park where she has the strongest thematic connection.
Pandora takes place centuries in the future.

Also, it doesn't matter if people think it's a kid's musical. What matters is the message from the movie. And that is respect nature (among others but this is an obvious one)! I call that a perfect fit to DAK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What cuts, did I miss something?

Let's say you and your spouse are ready to build your dream house. After looking at the plans and the cost, you decide that the third garage is overkill and you'd rather spend the money elsewhere. Fifteen years later, your children have the right to complain that you and your spouse are cheap tightwads who only care about the bottom line and not at all about your family's happiness because of the "cuts" you made to the household.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom