News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

MrPromey

I see your point. But maybe kids just need to learn to be patient. It's ridiculous that so many people want to cater to that "short-attention-span" part of childhood. Kids are supposed to outgrow that. Maybe a (hopefully) good short in front of a (hopefully) good movie will help them do that. Just sayin'.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

When engaged, attention can be infinite.

Unfortunately, bladders are not.

One thing kids these days have definitely gotten accustomed to is the pause button, which theaters don't have.

phillip9698

Apples and oranges. Back in the day there were Kid Matinee's every Saturday. Cartoons and a double feature! Even Radio City Music Hall had the Rockettes Stage Show, plus a full length feature. Quality will always come out on top. Of course, most of the drivel that Hollywood is churning out now can't hold your interest beyond 90 minutes !

The double feature wasn't successful for a period of time because there was quality entertainment, it arose from the Great Depression where theater owners were desperate to get people in their buildings and were showing junk films and shorts before the feature film, people being dead broke saw this is a value and showed up in droves. Then later studios ever greedy for another buck, required theaters to purchase/show junk material in order to have access to the movies people actually wanted to see. Instead of losing money by showing movies people didnt want to see, the theater owners attached those lower grade movies to double features to make something off of them.

Neither of those situations are applicable in 2017. I'm not taking my child to a 3 hour experience knowing that there will be bathroom runs, attention span breakdowns, naps, etc... hampering the experience. I'm more likely to wait for a streaming release where we don't have to sit through 20 minutes of previews followed by a 20 minute short before we get to the movie.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

It’s too long. Pixar movies run long anyway, but most families don’t care to bring their kids to the theater for 2 1/2 hours. There’s a reason most kid movies are about 75-min long.
Correct, plus it was show for us in late october. We do not like to mix "traditions" of Christmas right in a movie about day of the death.
And it was definitively WAY TOO LONG.

Cesar R M

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

When engaged, attention can be infinite.

Unfortunately, bladders are not.

One thing kids these days have definitely gotten accustomed to is the pause button, which theatres don't have.
Cinemas back then had a "intermission". where they split long movies and gave a 5 minute pause for bathroom and buying snacks.
The desire to cram more shows per day and get more money made them remove these intermissions and replace them for more ads.

I see your point. But maybe kids just need to learn to be patient. It's ridiculous that so many people want to cater to that "short-attention-span" part of childhood. Kids are supposed to outgrow that. Maybe a (hopefully) good short in front of a (hopefully) good movie will help them do that. Just sayin'.
I hope you can re-read what you wrote, because I had to facepalm.

Kids were fine watching COCO (including Adults).
Shoving a super long "short" that was never announced was the problem.
Now add 30 minutes of Movie Theatre branded ADS.

Nothing to do with "kids having short attention span".
This was just bad taste and bad planning.

Olaf's Frozen Adventure - 21 minutes

Coco - 109 minues

2 hours, 10 minutes

If one wishes to avoid Frozen, and if one get tickets for a theater with reserved seating, then one can show up 25 late.

The problem is, the frozen short was NEVER announced.
At least not in my town and not even in the trailers.
You expected to see COCO and a small Short, but this short dragged on and on and on and on.
Fun thing? I bet most of the complains were from adults.

Last edited:

GlacierGlacier

Old Mouseketeer

I'm pretty sure that film montage was a kind of pre-show movie that played in the waiting area before you entered the theater, it still there before Philharmagic today, the room with the ramps, blue curtains, and chandeliers. The film has some Tokyo Disneyland footage tacked on to the end here, and if you didn't get in line early you probably wouldn't see it, sort of like the short "Makin' Memories" film that ran before "Captain EO" at the Imagination pavilion at EPCOT. This is the best footage I've seen of that pre-show though, the whole thing is pretty nice, thanks for posting

Here's the problem with MMR at WDW. The preshow area was half the size of the theater. There was the pepto bismal pink lobby, then the long narrow preshow theater with a conversation with the "sound track" lifted from Fantasia. I'm not sure if these two areas combined could contain as many people as the theater. I remember the late Imagineer David Mumford (a Disney geek friend of mine from when we were in high school) calling this "a ride to draw people into the air conditioning from the street".

danlb_2000

Premium Member
A water management permit was filed today that covers the theater project, called MK1. You can see the outline of the building in the plans...

upload_2017-11-20_14-48-54.png

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's kinda sad that poor Roger's been allowed to fade away. Shame on Spielberg or whoever's responsible for that. Very poor stewardship of a great character.
Imagine how amazingly AWESOME and CRAAZY a 4D roger rabbit ride would be!!! I would totally not be opposed to Disney ripping off Uni's Jimmy Neutron ride, but in the Disney toon universe. That'd be amazing!! XD Put an E-Ticket in Storybook Circus! I think it'd be fitting there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom