New digital parking lot sign at Epcot

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The Epcot parking lot has a new digital sign - looks good.

IMG_0118.jpg

Monorail_Red_77

Saw this on Nov 11 & 12 during F&W. It changed between two different information pages. I assume they can add more as needed. Seems more in line with the new Disney Springs Info signs that show parking garage is full, etc.

Sorry for the weird blurry images. Was using zoom. Parking was packed. We were stopped all the way out here just after toll plaza. It took us at least 20 minutes to get to our parking spot from this point.
It switched between Preferred Parking sign to EPCOT Parkiing/Accessible Parking sign.
IMG_1411.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG

AndyS2992

Why? It’s a waste of electricity and energy, bad for the environment, unreliable in a power outage, bright sunlight will render the sign unreadable, a heavy storm can cause water damage and break it and will be expensive to fix. A silly move, nothing wrong with the old signage.

rocketraccoon

Why? It’s a waste of electricity and energy, bad for the environment, unreliable in a power outage, bright sunlight will render the sign unreadable, a heavy storm can cause water damage and break it and will be expensive to fix. A silly move, nothing wrong with the old signage.
The energy/environment stuff is valid enough I suppose, but the rest really aren't. In a total power outage there will be bigger issues than a sign, the sign isn't unreadable in direct sunlight (think the Disney Springs electronic signs or those electronic billboards along I-4), and I guarantee that sign can stand up to the storm (like most of the electronic billboards along I-4, which held up to Irma pretty well). It's just so they don't need to lug around some regular signs I guess.

anchorman314

I was wondering what it might change to? Aren't both of those things always that direction?
Based on some of the photos posted, it looks like they are using it to change the direction of the arrows as needed. The Epcot Parking is shown as both straight ahead and to the right.

Personally, I like this. I find it much easier to read this sort of sign than the movable construction message boards.

Pixieish

As far as signs go, we're even seeing LED billboards almost overtaking printed ones up here in Boston. The biggest downside to them is that the brighter the LEDs, the less their life-span...but that wouldn't seem to be an issue with this particular sign as it isn't overly bright (notice that the "white" is more like a light grey, at least in the pics). In the long run, they can be economical because you don't have to make a new sign every time it needs to change (or have someone install it), people notice it more (so it's less likely to be hit by a car), they're heavier and more wind-resistant...there are lots of benefits to going this route. Also, as far as being environmentally friendly, I'm pretty sure building one lit sign and just changing the display as needed uses less energy than having to keep producing a new sign face every time a sign needs to change.

The sign shop I used to work at produced a lot of the billboards for a local IMAX theater - I can't tell you how cool it was to be involved in producing one of the billboards for Dark Knight, but the amount of man-hours and materials that go into a single billboard can be pretty high. When I left the job years ago, they had already started switching over to the type of billboard that shifts every few minutes (it's made up of vertical, triangular panels that all turn to change the image on the face, so there are three possible images), but I really wouldn't be surprised at all if eventually they go digital.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom