So they ban selfie sticks...

retroeric

Original Poster
but they sell lightsabers in the park? Got bopped in the face with one today at DHS.

The lightsabers are just as long as the selfie sticks. Just as dangerous.

nbdysreal

<s>Coming soon to Disney stores park wide </s>

Attachments

• iono_sw_lightsaber_selfie_stick.jpg
    iono_sw_lightsaber_selfie_stick.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 83

retroeric

Original Poster
The logic is that adults should be monitoring light-saber use. Adults were the ones knocking people in the head with the selfie-sticks, lol.
In six hours at DHS I saw more 8 year olds blindly swinging lightsabers than years of selfie sticks. Sure some selfie stickers got careless with how they held them, but those lightsabers are constantly being swung around in the parks.

yensid67

PLUS...
Disney isn't making any money on selfie sticks! I think the handle stick for cameras are still allowed! (Someone correct that if not correct!)
I thought I read that as long as the camera/stick doesn't go passed the safety zone it is allowed!? Every ride has a contraption that is put on the ride track and is built out with plywood to create a safety zone in the ride car. The reasoning is that a guests arm cannot reach past this area and is the safety zone for the ride vehicle! This is so that guests can be thrilled and have their hands raised on Big Thunder

Pixieish

PLUS...
Disney isn't making any money on selfie sticks! I think the handle stick for cameras are still allowed! (Someone correct that if not correct!)
I thought I read that as long as the camera/stick doesn't go passed the safety zone it is allowed!? Every ride has a contraption that is put on the ride track and is built out with plywood to create a safety zone in the ride car. The reasoning is that a guests arm cannot reach past this area and is the safety zone for the ride vehicle! This is so that guests can be thrilled and have their hands raised on Big Thunder

The short handles are allowed, yes.

NearTheEars

In six hours at DHS I saw more 8 year olds blindly swinging lightsabers than years of selfie sticks. Sure some selfie stickers got careless with how they held them, but those lightsabers are constantly being swung around in the parks.

I believe the change had a lot more to do with their use on rides. I rode behind a guy on Big Thunder Mountain swinging one around trying to film. Yikes.

drizgirl

I believe the change had a lot more to do with their use on rides. I rode behind a guy on Big Thunder Mountain swinging one around trying to film. Yikes.
Totally agree. Disney doesn't care if we're annoyed with the merchandise they sell. They care a LOT when people used selfie sticks to reach animatronics and parts of rides that were never designed to be reached by riders. The first time I saw the video of the person on Small World with the selfie stick fully extended out to the side I said "They're going to stop that fast". And they did (mostly).

Cmdr_Crimson

PLUS...
Be careful what you wish for.....:hilarious:
Accessories-for-mobile-cartoon-mickey-extendable-selfie-stick-bluetooth-monopod-for-iphone-5-5s-6-GoPro.jpg

Getting back on topic Mini tripods are allowed as I have brought mine on my trips. They don't extend far out and they work fairly well for me...

retroeric

Original Poster
Just to be clear, I'm not mad about the selfie stick ban. I'm just saying selling 36 inch lightsabers that have no packaging right there in the middle of a park with ten thousand people crammed around is just not a good idea.

Cmdr_Crimson

Just to be clear, I'm not mad about the selfie stick ban. I'm just saying selling 36 inch lightsabers that have no packaging right there in the middle of a park with ten thousand people crammed around is just not a good idea.
No packaging? Are you referring to those generic lightsabers with Mickey's head and not the Star Wars lightsabers because they do sell these as well.
81ce2861d34cc0d8366ccd0461be00c3.jpg

thomas998

but they sell lightsabers in the park? Got bopped in the face with one today at DHS.

The lightsabers are just as long as the selfie sticks. Just as dangerous.
How often have you seen a kid trying to hold their light saber out on a roller coaster? I've never seen one do that yet, but I've seen plenty of idiots trying hold their selfie sticks out on everything from It's a Small World to Thunder Mountain.... Reality is the real danger from selfie sticks isn't from having an idiot walk into you on main street if that was the case they would have long ago banned strollers as you are much more likely to have someone hit you with one of those than from wandering with a selfie stick. But if you have someone on a faster ride lose their selfie stick and phone it is more than likely not going to simply plummet to the pavement, it is more likely going to hit the person behind them on the ride and if it is during a fast part of the ride it could cause serious injury. I think there was a lawsuit against Six Flags in New Jersey about a year ago because someone got hit in the head and it messed their eye up, when another passenger's cell phone slipped and hit them in the face on a roller coaster going over 50mph.

Frankly I get nervous when I see idiot trying to hold their cellphones or go pros while riding rollercoaster like Everest.... How easy would it be for the idiot to let it slip and then hit someone else in the face with it. Frankly I wish they would ban any photo or videos on the roller coaster type rides. Just a risk to others more than the person with the camera.

Last edited:

thomas998

If you want to worry about things kids carry around in the parks there are other items that are more dangerous than a lightsaber. The lightsaber is made with a cheap plastic that is relatively soft, I would expect more danger from the long half inch round tubes that are about a yard long and filled with the candy powder. Pretty much as long as a light saber but a lot stiffer and much more likely to poke someone in the eye and cause damage than the large lightsaber. Frankly if a little kid has a corn dog stick in a crowded space like Disney its a danger to themselves, then again a camera on a long strap swinging around a large purse or hand bag swinging around... lots of things can be dangerous if people aren't careful.... But I have to think lightsabers are probably not even the top 5 things likely to hurt someone. Probably more likely to be hurt from some idiot that has never used one of those electric scooter than from a kid with a lightsaber

DisAl

The main problem is the overabundance of oblivious entitled idiots who don't have any concern or awareness of those around them. They may be a small percentage of the total population but the problems they cause is disproportionate to their numbers. Besides the physical danger of hitting someone with the selfie stick a dropped stick in the wrong place on a ride could cause damage that could shut down the ride for hours. I doubt a selfie stick would derail a roller coaster but damaged controls or braking systems could be a disaster.
And why do most people in selfies look so surprised? Didn't they know they were going to make the picture? :rolleyes:
As for the light sabers, at least they are easily collapsible (no latches) so they are much more likely to be annoying rather than dangerous. Give me a light saber over one of those bubble machines any day....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom