News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

D

Deleted member 107043

Who ever thought about it, or even approved the idea should be fired. Perhaps that should be Bob Chapek. :D

I doubt he's even involved beyond supporting strategy directives to leverage Disney's characters across Parks & Resorts.

Phroobar

For now this travesty is happening nightly in Paris...

20170113_galacticcelebration_04.jpg
What's wrong with that? I think it's the perfect wrap. It should look like that during the day time.

Phroobar

I'm not sure why this is any more objectionable that using Cinderella Castle, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Chinese Theater, Main Street USA or any other building for projections. They are just being used as a canvas for a show, not a change to the ride itself.
I agree. I think it is a great use of the building for a show. I love it when they do it to IASW. I think some need to get over themselves. There is nothing wrong with using a building for a projection show.

britain

I'm not sure why this is any more objectionable that using Cinderella Castle, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Chinese Theater, Main Street USA or any other building for projections. They are just being used as a canvas for a show, not a change to the ride itself.

I totally see your point. But ToT wears its story on its sleeve, so to speak. It's a dilapidated place of terror - not a vanilla good vibe icon you can use as a blank canvas.

Now I sort of think this Christmas thing works in a goofy ironic sort of way. But I really don't think it works with Paris' Star Wars show on their Tower. It's one thing to project Luke on the Chinese Theater... it premiered there! It works! But to see Luke on... a 1939 haunted hotel? There's no synergistic boost there (I DON'T mean synergy as brand-pushing. I mean getting extra meaning out of the combination of elements, 1 + 1 = 3)

It would be a little like vinyl wrapping a monorail to look like an Indiana Jones mayan temple. It's one thing to put Zootopia characters in the windows, but mayan architecture? Can you back up and take in how wrong this looks? It only works because as a society we've come to accept advertising as something that could pop up everywhere. Similarly, I think truly magical projection shows embrace their canvas, and the poorer ones try to make you forget it.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I actually like the way the projection looks on WDWs tower but I don't think it belongs there because of how it diminishes the TOT experience. I would be pretty upset if traveled to Florida to ride TOT and they had it looking like a Winter Wonderland. Now if this is for some hard ticket Christmas party then that's totally fine. But during normal operating hours I don't like it.

Phroobar

I totally see your point. But ToT wears its story on its sleeve, so to speak. It's a dilapidated place of terror - not a vanilla good vibe icon you can use as a blank canvas.

Now I sort of think this Christmas thing works in a goofy ironic sort of way. But I really don't think it works with Paris' Star Wars show on their Tower. It's one thing to project Luke on the Chinese Theater... it premiered there! It works! But to see Luke on... a 1939 haunted hotel? There's no synergistic boost there (I DON'T mean synergy as brand-pushing. I mean getting extra meaning out of the combination of elements, 1 + 1 = 3)

It would be a little like vinyl wrapping a monorail to look like an Indiana Jones mayan temple. It's one thing to put Zootopia characters in the windows, but mayan architecture? Can you back up and take in how wrong this looks? It only works because as a society we've come to accept advertising as something that could pop up everywhere. Similarly, I think truly magical projection shows embrace their canvas, and the poorer ones try to make you forget it.
Except the TOT at WDS is their Castle. It's front and center of the park. You can't miss it. It's the perfect place to celebrate the movies because it's a big flat unadorned building. There isn't any architectural elements that mess up the projection. It's really the only big structure there and they need some kind of holiday projection show in a place that is concrete wasteland.

britain

Except the TOT at WDS is their Castle. It's front and center of the park. You can't miss it. It's the perfect place to celebrate the movies because it's a big flat unadorned building. There isn't any architectural elements that mess up the projection. It's really the only big structure there and they need some kind of holiday projection show in a place that is concrete wasteland.

I know they didn't really have any options. But it's still a less-than-desirable creative choice.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I don't see why that is bad. It was for a press conference. It's not like it was there forever.

sse209385fi.jpg

I think this one is better. It's just Disney having fun. Theme parks are not sacred religious temples or something. They are places for the rich to be entertained and spend money.
lol, I know I'm overreacting. It's just really lame to know what the ride means and stands for and then see them slap a big grinning character on the outside. But this is Disney after all. My bar was set too high already.

alias8703

We're not.... really... getting upset... about something being PROJECTED... onto a building... for a couple of hours at night are we?
Nothing has changed. The rides not been altered... And you don't SEE the tower from inside or on the ride... So... it having projections on it won't work as an excuse for it ruining your ride... Cmon guys... Bigger fish to fry then a temporary seasonal projection show that frankly looks rad.

mickEblu

We're not.... really... getting upset... about something being PROJECTED... onto a building... for a couple of hours at night are we?
Nothing has changed. The rides not been altered... And you don't SEE the tower from inside or on the ride... So... it having projections on it won't work as an excuse for it ruining your ride... Cmon guys... Bigger fish to fry then a temporary seasonal projection show that frankly looks rad.

Personally I'm not upset at all. I like the way it looks. I'm just taking the perspective of a first time visitor and how that would impact their experience. For example, riding the original TOT is probably one of the top 3 reasons I want to book my first WDW trip sooner than later. So if it was me and I happened to go during a time where this spooky haunted hotel looks like Christmas threw up on it I would be disappointed. I would like to experience an E ticket like TOT the way it was intended to be experienced. I have read numerous times how the facade and grounds outside the hotel is really what separated it from DCAs version. With that said, since this projection is only at night, I would make sure to ride the attraction during the day.

On another note, I think that The Castle and Main Street buildings are much more neutral backdrops for holiday projections or for any fireworks show for that matter. They are the opening act / icon of the park and can be used as a blank canvas. In addition seeing projections on a castle or Main Street building does not do anything to diminish the experience of those attractions as opposed to Christmas projections on a Haunted hotel.

Phroobar

Personally I'm not upset at all. I like the way it looks. I'm just taking the perspective of a first time visitor and how that would impact their experience. For example, riding the original TOT is probably one of the top 3 reasons I want to book my first WDW trip sooner than later. So if it was me and I happened to go during a time where this spooky haunted hotel looks like Christmas threw up on it I would be disappointed. I would like to experience an E ticket like TOT the way it was intended to be experienced. I have read numerous times how the facade and grounds outside the hotel is really what separated it from DCAs version. With that said, since this projection is only at night, I would make sure to ride the attraction during the day.

On another note, I think that The Castle and Main Street buildings are much more neutral backdrops for holiday projections or for any fireworks show for that matter. They are the opening act / icon of the park and can be used as a blank canvas. In addition seeing projections on a castle or Main Street building does not do anything to diminish the experience of those attractions as opposed to Christmas projections on a Haunted hotel.
A first time visitor would not stumble in to the park at night, look up at the TOT and see a projection and ruin the whole spooky haunted hotel thing for themselves. They would get there early in the morning and see the TOT as it was intended. At night, they would be enjoying the projection show like everyone else. Let's be realistic here.

mickEblu

A first time visitor would not stumble in to the park at night, look up at the TOT and see a projection and ruin the whole spooky haunted hotel thing for themselves. They would get there early in the morning and see the TOT as it was intended. At night, they would be enjoying the projection show. Let's be realistic here.

Ummm I kind of said that in my post... still changes the experience at night though.

No Name

They've been setting up this holiday thing for the past month. In an already construction-filled park, in the "year of a million dead-ends," they had to drain Echo Lake to install decorations, had to put up some screens and other machinery on Sunset, some scaffolding on the tower itself... I mean I just feel sorry for the unknowing guests. Of course, add in the stage and unfinished or simply ugly projection towers in front of the theater, and it's really not good. Oh and Christmas decorations in early October are right up my alley.

I wish I could say the ends justfiy the means, but in my opinion that's not the case here. This holiday season, DHS has four projection shows (two of which are holiday shows) on the theater and tower. They're all ten times as incohenet as this post, and none embody the theme of the park. It's not just me... most of them are among the lowest-rated nighttime shows on property. Basically, they need a lesson in quality over quantity, but it doesn't look like they've learned that with Sunset Seasons greetings, and that's frusterating.

Of course, this is not nearly the biggest complaint I have. At least it's not permanent like the topic of the thread.

I actually like the way the projection looks on WDWs tower but I don't think it belongs there because of how it diminishes the TOT experience. I would be pretty upset if traveled to Florida to ride TOT and they had it looking like a Winter Wonderland. Now if this is for some hard ticket Christmas party then that's totally fine. But during normal operating hours I don't like it.

See, so maybe you can understand why I dislike holiday overlays. Because they're usually all day, and usually affect the inside of the attraction as well. If I had an AP and visited every two weeks, I might love it, but since I don't go often I just want see the real thing.

Last edited:

mickEblu

They've been setting up this holiday thing for the past month. In an already construction-filled park, in the "year of a million dead-ends," they had to drain Echo Lake to install decorations, had to put up some screens and other machinery on Sunset, some sacffolding on the tower itself... I mean I just feel sorry for the unknowing guests. Of course, add in the stage and unfinished or simply ugly projection towers in front of the theater, and it's really not good. Oh and Christmas decorations in early October are right up my alley.

I wish I could say the ends justfiy the means, but in my opinion that's not the case here. This holiday season, DHS has four projection shows (two of which are holiday shows) on the theater and tower. They all follow the same bland formula and none embody the theme of the park. It's not just me... most of them are among the lowest-rated nighttime shows on property. Basically, they need a lesson in quality over quantity, but it doesn't look like they've learned that with Sunset Seasons greetings, and that's frusterating.

Of course, this is not nearly the biggest complaint.

See, so maybe you can understand why I dislike holiday overlays. Because they're usually all day, and usually affect the inside of the attraction as well. If I had an AP and visited every two weeks, I might love it, but since I don't go often I just want see the real thing.

You re preaching to the choir. I'm an AP and I'm not a huge fan of holiday overlays. I could live without them. The only one I like is IASW Holiday and that doesn't really change the core experience of the attraction. Not a huge fan of HMH or Ghost Galaxy. Hyperspace kind of grew on me. Loved MAD. That actually was much better than MB.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom