Around the Resorts in 30 Days

spacemt354

Chili's
55481102.jpg
Lol

Aka life got in the way:p I have much respect for people who have daily vlogs. It is extremely tough to try and come up with a decent concept every day.

spacemt354

Chili's
In the spirit of a new personal goal/challenge I'd like to undertake for the summer, I'd like to take another crack at the 30 projects in 30 Days challenge I gave myself a few months ago.

This time though, with a few tweaks to hopefully get over the hump of posting every day and not having a set limit for what I need per day.

This time (since this thread is called Around the Resorts) I'm going to be focusing solely on the Disney Resorts. The projects can be anything from improving small things about the resorts, to dining, to activities, to room makeovers, etc - but the goal is to limit each post to 5-10 sentences, not going too overboard on one project, while having others be minimal. Hopefully inflicting that rule will make the challenge of posting one per day less stressful and daunting - but still a fun creative exercise.

Here's a teaser at some of the upcoming projects for the next 3 days -- hope you enjoy this experiment and if you want to try your own daily experiment in this thread, feel free too I'm sure @MonorailRed wouldn't mind:joyfull:
25798990805_a56bf4d37c_k.jpg

26187102712_890de0ba7c_k.jpg

2647868063518558940%253Faccount_id%253D9

Disney Dad 3000

In the spirit of a new personal goal/challenge I'd like to undertake for the summer, I'd like to take another crack at the 30 projects in 30 Days challenge I gave myself a few months ago.

This time though, with a few tweaks to hopefully get over the hump of posting every day and not having a set limit for what I need per day.

This time (since this thread is called Around the Resorts) I'm going to be focusing solely on the Disney Resorts. The projects can be anything from improving small things about the resorts, to dining, to activities, to room makeovers, etc - but the goal is to limit each post to 5-10 sentences, not going too overboard on one project, while having others be minimal. Hopefully inflicting that rule will make the challenge of posting one per day less stressful and daunting - but still a fun creative exercise.

Here's a teaser at some of the upcoming projects for the next 3 days -- hope you enjoy this experiment and if you want to try your own daily experiment in this thread, feel free too I'm sure @MonorailRed wouldn't mind:joyfull:
25798990805_a56bf4d37c_k.jpg

2647868063518558940%253Faccount_id%253D9

That view from the pool area at WL may be one of my favorites that I've experienced at WDW.
Look forward to seeing what you do with the resorts. There are several id love to see the overall layout changed since distances to parking lot, bus depot, etc can be insane. I know part of it is necessary so we can escape the views of those lots and be immersed in the resorts, but some are just too spread out if you get the wrong room.

spacemt354

Chili's

Originally something I wanted to do in the summer - I think this will be something fun to kickstart again as a sort of daily creative challenge open to everyone! Basically, the premise is to create something new, refurbish something old, add a story point, change room layouts, or just generally some sort of 'plus' to the various resort hotels on WDW property - one per day, for a month (30 days).

I tried to do this before but I didn't put any restrictions on the length of posts - so some ended up being in depth, and others...not so much. So I'm capping each addition at 5 sentences max, with an image or two -- essentially getting the point across without having to get bogged down in the details.

Anyone who wants to jump in for any of the days is free to do so! It's open to everyone.

Here's the preliminary schedule - enjoy!

October 13th - Disney's Polynesian Resort
October 14th - Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
October 15th - Disney's Contemporary Resort
October 16th - Disney's Wilderness Lodge
October 17th - Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground
October 18th - The Swan and Dolphin Resorts
October 19th - Disney's Boardwalk Inn Resort
October 20th - Disney's Yacht Club Resort
October 21st - Disney's Beach Club Resort
October 22nd - Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
October 23rd - Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter Resort
October 24th - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort
October 25th - Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
October 26th - Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort
October 27th - Disney's Pop Century Resort
October 28th - Disney's All-Star Resorts
October 29th - Disney's Art of Animation Resort
October 30th - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
October 31st - Disney's Old Key West Resort
November 1st - Disney's Treehouse Villas Resort
November 2nd - Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
November 3rd - Beach Club Villas
November 4th - Boardwalk Inn Villas
November 5th - Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort
November 6th - Star Wars Boutique Resort
November 7th - Kidani Village
November 8th - Grand Floridian Villas
November 9th - Shades of Green Resort
November 10th - New Resort
November 11th - New Resort DVC

spacemt354

Chili's
October 13th - Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
Pool Refurbishment

While the Great Ceremonial House won't return to its original green, foliage driven center - the immersion that is brought on by these aesthetic touches could help other areas within the Resort. Despite being one of my favorite resorts, the Polynesian Village Resort has really gotten striped of several elements of its original character, and while new additions such as the Trader Sam's Bar and the Bungalows add exciting flares, walking outside the Polynesian -- you see the other resorts around the Seven Seas Lagoon, and for me it distracts a bit from being on a tropical pacific island.
greentile.jpeg

Most notably this occurs at the pool, where in particular, the Grand Floridian can be seen in plain view while you're lounging at your pool, and the DVC wing of the Grand is so close it almost might as well be the same resort. Adding some foliage, blocking the views of the other resorts - yet leaving the castle view slightly over the trees in the distance, I think would really go a long way to restoring the illusion that you are in the pacific islands - with shrubs, palm trees, and other tropical elements surrounding you (and providing more shaded seating too!)
Waterslide-at-main-pool-Disneys-Polynesian-Village-Resort-Walt-Disney-World.jpg

It's not like it hasn't been done before (the original Polynesian Pool) :bookworm:
PolyPool01.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
October 14th - Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
disney-s-grand-floridian-resort-spa-lake-buena-vista-orlando-area-florida-103678-4.jpg

While one of my favorite resorts on WDW property - there are some elements I think could use some enhancements, in particular the lobby maintenance. When the resort opened in the late 80s, it was heralded as the flagship of the Disney Resorts, with a restaurant where guests wear shirts and ties, dress nicely, and overall gave off a sense of Victorian flare. Nowadays though, when you walk through the ornate lobby decor, you pass by people with feet on the tables, kids running around, and it just doesn't vibe with the surrounding architecture. So on select nights - I propose a new event - a Victorian Evening

The lobby seating area is closed off for guests without reserved tickets to the Victorian Evening - where guests can dress up, eat, drink, and dance in a romanticized fashion, bringing back the spirit of the original message of the Grand Floridian. Some furniture is temporarily moved around, to allow extra floor space, as entree tables are set up with dinner snacks and drinks, and the big band plays classical Disney music from the 2nd floor balcony, followed by the Grand Floridian pianist soon after.

Now when guests come off the monorail and peer down towards the lobby on these select nights - it will be as if they've stepped back in time to a more regal era, complimenting the ambiance the resort flourishes.​

spacemt354

Chili's
October 15th - Disney's Contemporary Resort
33443589750_bc40d3e72d_b.jpg

For the Contemporary - I'll be discussing a pet project I've had for a while to refurbish the Contemporary Pool Area to a 'Perfect Park Acres' theme as an homage to the classic Tomorrowland Transit Authority line - and the green belt of Progress City. I've always felt the pool to be lacking, one of the most bland Deluxe Resort pool areas - but if made into a more green oasis with more features, it could be something special!

Above is a map of the refurbished area - with an expanded pool, pool shop, and new bar area on the edge of Bay Lake, to offer guests at the Contemporary Resort a watering hole...on the water! Similar to Geyser Point at the Wilderness Lodge, this bar area will feature a small lunch/dinner menu as well as a variety of drinks.

The pool is noticeably larger (almost double in size) with an adjacent Jacuzzi and kiddie pool to the left of the main pool on the map above. A new slide will be triple the length of the current slide and relocated to the opposite side of the pool.

Overall, the Perfect Park Acres landscape will sweep from Bay Lake Tower, all the way across to the Garden Wing, taking out all of the concrete in the middle and making the journey through lush gardens a much more aesthetically pleasing stroll.​

spacemt354

Chili's
October 16th - Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Considering earlier this year, Disney opened a new quick service/bar restaurant on the shores of Bay Lake - my main idea for improving WL has already been done :p Nevertheless, in the restaurant conversation, one in particular has been sliding a bit in the last few years, and that's the Whispering Canyon Cafe.

Not sliding in terms of quality of food - but in ambiance. If you go back to the mid-2000s when we first went to the restaurant, I could remember the rambunctious attitude permeating throughout the entire restaurant. Pony races, people getting thrown in jail for not eating their vegetables, people getting called out for talking on their cell-phone, and a ton of other props and gags that made the entire experience really funny. Nowadays though - they have pads that you place on the table that have a green side (participate) and red side (no participation) in the restaurant's signature activities - and not only that, but the activities have been reduced dramatically, and the restaurant now feels really forced to be awkwardly funny with throwbacks to how it used to be.

So I'm getting rid of the participation pads...and bringing back the old style - with a notice when guests make the reservation of what to expect, so if it's not for you - then you can make the adjustments. But a watered down version to appease people who don't like all the action really doesn't do either side of this any favors, since it's still kinda loud, but not as fun. For me, it has to be one or the other with regard to the activities - so I'm changing back!

spacemt354

Chili's
Daily Summer Brainstorming Challenge!

If anyone browses through the most recent few pages you'll see that I've tried and failed many times to do a 30 projects in 30 Days challenge. Though in trial and error - it eventually became the 50 for the 50th thread! Working on it with @MonorailRed and that's where I realized I was doing this wrong. I can't do it alone - so why not try it again, but this time open it up to everyone!

Essentially what my pitch is for this is to create a QBank of 30-40 imagineering topics, simple things doesn't need to be complex, and each day, we chime in with an idea or two to keep the creative juices flowing. It's open to everyone, first come first serve...someone can respond in the morning and choose the topic for the day, then we roll with it.

I'm thinking it could cover every Disney Resort, including theme parks, water parks, hotels, services, transportation, even something as small as a pathway or bench ;) The topic could be as broad or as specific as we want. Say one day we want to add a new attraction to Disney's Animal Kingdom, but the next might design the Skyliner expansion, or a DVC Resort in Hong Kong, etc. We get the basics down and catalog the brainstorming session, then after 30 Days, maybe we could pick some specific brainstorming days and elaborate on them!

I'll open up the floor if anyone has any suggestions for topics - just a fun summer imagineering community brainstorming event!

QBank of Topics
WDW Monorail - S.P.E.W
World Showcase Transportation - AceAstro
Sassagoula River Water-Taxis - spacemt354
Pixar Pier Redo - DisneyFan18
Muppets Area Restoration - DisneyFan18
New Fantasyland at DL - DisneyFan18
Wonders of Life Pavilion Redo - FireMountain
Sunset Boulevard to Pixar? - DisneyFan18
Dinoland U.S.A. Refurb - DisneyFan18
Disney Springs E-Ticket 'Ride' - FireMountain
Discoverland Revamp for DLP - S.P.E.W
Expansion of Shanghai Disneyland - DisneyFan18
HKDL Disney Springs - spacemt354
Air-Bud Wide World of Sports - FireMountain
Ford's Magic Skyway in EPCOT - FireMountain
Magic Kingdom Adventureland Expansion - S.P.E.W
Wonderland in Tokyo - DisneyFan18
Thrill Ride with music (like RnR) - FireMountain

'Out of the Box' World Showcase Pavilion - DisneyFan18
DuckTales Attraction - Pionmycake
Night Crowd Control at Magic Kingdom - Pionmycake
Low budget retheme of Splash Mountain or Haunted Mansion - Pionmycake
Transportation between DAK and DAK Lodge - spacemt354
Walkway extensions of Hollywood/Sunset Boulevard - spacemt354
River Country DVC - spacemt354
New Continent for DAK - S.P.E.W
5th Gate for WDW - S.P.E.W
Ticket and Transportation Center Upgrade - S.P.E.W
SGE Replacement - FireMountain
Redo WDW Main Street Shops (Penny Arcade, Cinema, etc) - FireMountain

Last edited:

AceAstro

Daily Summer Brainstorming Challenge!

If anyone browses through the most recent few pages you'll see that I've tried and failed many times to do a 30 projects in 30 Days challenge. Though in trial and error - it eventually became the 50 for the 50th thread! Working on it with @MonorailRed and that's where I realized I was doing this wrong. I can't do it alone - so why not try it again, but this time open it up to everyone!

Essentially what my pitch is for this is to create a QBank of 30-40 imagineering topics, simple things doesn't need to be complex, and each day, we chime in with an idea or two to keep the creative juices flowing. It's open to everyone, first come first serve...someone can respond in the morning and choose the topic for the day, then we roll with it.

I'm thinking it could cover every Disney Resort, including theme parks, water parks, hotels, services, transportation, even something as small as a pathway or bench ;) The topic could be as broad or as specific as we want. Say one day we want to add a new attraction to Disney's Animal Kingdom, but the next might design the Skyliner expansion, or a DVC Resort in Hong Kong, etc. We get the basics down and catalog the brainstorming session, then after 30 Days, maybe we could pick some specific brainstorming days and elaborate on them!

I'll open up the floor if anyone has any suggestions for topics - just a fun summer imagineering community brainstorming event!​
This looks like a lot of fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom