A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

jakeman

Literally nothing in your post is factually accurate and your statement regarding Garner Holt has been proven wrong time and time again but yet you continue to misunderstand the agreement and post false information.
It doesn't matter.

Until the forum rules are amended that intentional and repeated fabrication is a form of trolling there's nothing that can be done except ignore him.

EDIT: And unfortunately, @ford91exploder knows it.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

WDI has completely shut down their industrial capacity, Outsourced AA production and maintenance to Garner-Holt, All that's left is Joe Rohde, a few so-called Imagineers A metric crapton of Executives, a few illustrators to produce concept art and a metric crapton of project managers and accountants.

WDI is no longer capable of building anything on their own, Everything must be contracted out, That sounds like replacing imagineers with cost accountants to me and it's a far cry from when Disney could build entire attractions from the ride system up in house.
You don’t know what you are talking about.

Well... what ride could possibly be made that is truly new and not just characterized as a plussed-up version of a previous ride/technology?
Soarin’ itself was definitely something new. There is nothing wrong with iteration, but that doesn’t mean there should be a denial of what else exists.

Until I rode TRON last week, I was thinking the same: "fancy Motorbike Coaster from Vekoma"... I rode it and Vekoma/Disney reinvented the wheel for it and there is no way the ride could have been done 10 years before.

The first Motorbike Coasters used a mechanically intense hydraulic launch system with cables, catch car and a lot of other components. TRON use a very efficient and effective LSM launch system that is light years above what was used for Rock n Roller Coaster back in 1999.

Next, the Lightcycle themselves: the original Motorbike system was not nice for taller riders as the secondary leg restraints consisted of black pads that rested on riders knees, like on this picture:

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

The idea was that when you pulled the handles toward you, the back rest would come down on your back. But, if you're tall, your legs get in the way and you can't lock the back rest and can't ride.

On TRON, the leg restraints was replaced by two metal bars that come out of the Cycle and lock your legs in place. You straddle the seat then put your feet in the stirrups. Those move back and once you're settled all the way in, you pull the silver handles. The shiny metal bars (smart, allows the cast members to see them even in the dark station and allows them to check if they are locked in place) come out of the bike and lock at a 90 degrees angle. In the picture below, you can see them on the body of the Lightcycle, under the seat. You will also see that the Lightcycle back restraint shape was improved and is a lot more comfortable.

tron-lightcycles-power-run-shanghai-disneyland-7.jpg

The last major innovation for the Lightcycles are those colored wheels and lights. Those are not "dumb lights" that stay on throughout the ride. They change color, turn on and off and change intensity depending on what is required for the show. Add that to on-board audio and can you imagine the battery requirements for the power required for all that?
I’m familiar with the attraction. It uses the third generation of Vekoma’s motor bike system. It’s definitely a better product, but it is Vekoma’s product.

BrianLo

All that's left is Joe Rohde, a few so-called Imagineers A metric crapton of Executives, a few illustrators to produce concept art and a metric crapton of project managers and accountants.

Amazing that a few so-called imagineers and accountants were able to build an entire resort without Joe.

Or you know the entire DCA 2.0, NFL, Hong Kong's redo, the 60th at DL, several projects and an anniversary in Paris, Tokyo's current expansion, the little Star Wars project slated to open in 202-never along with park wide changes, or that shopping district that closed down and all the retailers left, or that park in China that was seized by communists in 2016 when it failed to open.

I'm purposely not going to go on... But ya, Joe is pretty much it. I'm glad you are at least acknowledging Pandora by proxy as a good thing. Baby steps.

You don’t know what you are talking about.

More succinct

The_Jobu

Until I rode TRON last week, I was thinking the same: "fancy Motorbike Coaster from Vekoma"... I rode it and Vekoma/Disney reinvented the wheel for it and there is no way the ride could have been done 10 years before.

The first Motorbike Coasters used a mechanically intense hydraulic launch system with cables, catch car and a lot of other components. TRON use a very efficient and effective LSM launch system that is light years above what was used for Rock n Roller Coaster back in 1999.

Next, the Lightcycle themselves: the original Motorbike system was not nice for taller riders as the secondary leg restraints consisted of black pads that rested on riders knees, like on this picture:

heide-park-toverland-132.jpg

The idea was that when you pulled the handles toward you, the back rest would come down on your back. But, if you're tall, your legs get in the way and you can't lock the back rest and can't ride.

On TRON, the leg restraints was replaced by two metal bars that come out of the Cycle and lock your legs in place. You straddle the seat then put your feet in the stirrups. Those move back and once you're settled all the way in, you pull the silver handles. The shiny metal bars (smart, allows the cast members to see them even in the dark station and allows them to check if they are locked in place) come out of the bike and lock at a 90 degrees angle. In the picture below, you can see them on the body of the Lightcycle, under the seat. You will also see that the Lightcycle back restraint shape was improved and is a lot more comfortable.

tron-lightcycles-power-run-shanghai-disneyland-7.jpg

The last major innovation for the Lightcycles are those colored wheels and lights. Those are not "dumb lights" that stay on throughout the ride. They change color, turn on and off and change intensity depending on what is required for the show. Add that to on-board audio and can you imagine the battery requirements for the power required for all that?

Do they play the soundtrack from Tron 2 in the queue or during the ride?

AEfx

Amazing that a few so-called imagineers and accountants were able to build an entire resort without Joe.

Or you know the entire DCA 2.0, NFL, Hong Kong's redo, the 60th at DL, several projects and an anniversary in Paris, Tokyo's current expansion, the little Star Wars project slated to open in 202-never along with park wide changes, or that shopping district that closed down and all the retailers left, or that park in China that was seized by communists in 2016 when it failed to open.

I'm purposely not going to go on... But ya, Joe is pretty much it. I'm glad you are at least acknowledging Pandora by proxy as a good thing. Baby steps.

Be careful, don't upset the Cult of Rhode...they may pin you down and force you to put holes in your ears to show solidarity.

AEfx

In his mid 70's, he doesn't have risk and he doesn't have much value. Guy could drop dead tomorrow. Come on guys understand that the old school people are old to the point of death is very close and their minds aren't that strong any more. Sorry but when t's a time to go it's a time to go and never be seen again./

Whaaa?

I don't know where on earth you got the idea that is what I was saying.

When I pointed out his age it was relevant to the fact that he physically cannot perform Muppets anymore. He was having difficulty 20 years ago when he last did Yoda for TPM, which is why he was so relieved that they went digital for the next film.

I don't know if you are aware of how the Muppets are performed, but the performers are crawling around on their knees, with their arms straight up in the air, one of which is holding a Muppet that weighs a few dozen pounds, for hours and hours on end. It's basically like being a professional athlete - it causes all kinds of joint issues and other health problems. Expecting him to jump in and start performing at his age is like expecting Michael Phelps to still be swimming record laps at 70.

At his age, yes, there is also the factor of - he is much closer to the end of his life than the beginning. An age when someone of his means is likely enjoying time with his family and his semi-retirement. Expecting him to come out and devote himself to the Muppets full-time - again, even if Disney asked him to - is a lot to ask someone, which is how this conversation started.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

More succinct

The last 'theme parks' done by Disney were DLP - Tony Baxter, AK - Joe Rohde

Everything Disney has done since those has been a nicely decorated set of attractions with no discernable overarching 'theme' the sort of thing Universal is deservedly mocked for.

Pandora - Soarin 2.0 and a boat ride, yawn.

Where has the talent which came up with attractions such as Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari's gone, Oh that's right Disney fired them.

Best example is cramming in Star Wars at DL it does not belong there no matter how badly the StarWars fanboi's want it.

StarvWars deserved its own gate imagine an entire park THEMED exclusively to Star Wars. But the cost accountants shot it down and you get a stripped down abomination planted where it does not belong.

But since Disney did it it's MAGICal.

Sorry kids Disney of late has become a soulless megacorp and its products reflect that. So long Disney of old we hardly knew ye and we miss you so much.

mickeyfan5534

StarvWars deserved its own gate imagine an entire park THEMED exclusively to Star Wars. But the cost accountants shot it down and you get a stripped down abomination planted where it does not belong.
You could use this hypothetical for practically any of the consumer products IP. Doesn't make it any more limiting than a Star Wars park

Kman101

They are both flying theaters and the concept has been further developed outside of Disney. Flight of Passage may be a jump compared to the Soarin’ system, but it’s less of a jump compared to systems developed by others. It was rather widely assumed that Flight of Passage was using Brogent’s I-Ride system due to its similar configuration.

And how many of us have experienced a flying theater outside of Disney or Universal?

peter11435

The last 'theme parks' done by Disney were DLP - Tony Baxter, AK - Joe Rohde

Everything Disney has done since those has been a nicely decorated set of attractions with no discernable overarching 'theme' the sort of thing Universal is deservedly mocked for.

Pandora - Soarin 2.0 and a boat ride, yawn.

Where has the talent which came up with attractions such as Everest and Kilimanjaro Safari's gone, Oh that's right Disney fired them.

Best example is cramming in Star Wars at DL it does not belong there no matter how badly the StarWars fanboi's want it.

But since Disney did it it's MAGICal.

Sorry kids Disney of late has become a soulless megacorp and its products reflect that. So long Disney of old we hardly knew ye and we miss you so much.
Alternative facts ^

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
...Pandora - Soarin 2.0 and a boat ride, yawn.

Everest is your shining example of excellence? But to use your criteria that if it's been done before then it's boring... a train ride in a mountain... yawn.

You just don't think about the insults you hurl at Disney for logical consistency, do ya?

Which means, you really don't believe these things. How could you? They're not true. They contradict what you've already said. How many times are you just going to make up stuff to insult Disney?

We're on to you. And Spirit isn't around to rally the hater brigade to back you up with a lot of noise. Go away.

EricsBiscuit

I mean, look who it's coming from. When he says stuff like the new lands Disney builds are like strip malls (I'd call older lands more like strip malls, look at Frontierland in the MK, it's a long road with shops on one side) it's hard to take him seriously.
To be fair, you have to look at the source material. Frontier land is one of my favorite lands. However, you're basically recreating streets and shops.

lazyboy97o

And how many of us have experienced a flying theater outside of Disney or Universal?
Why would that matter? It’s not a question of if it is something new to their respective parks, but new in general. Why not say Alien Saucer Spin is a new flat ride design because a lot of people don’t visit Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World?

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Why would that matter? It’s not a question of if it is something new to their respective parks, but new in general. Why not say Alien Saucer Spin is a new flat ride design because a lot of people don’t visit Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World?
The fact is that FoP is an evolutionary and not revolutionary ride technology. That does not however take away from it. It is an amazing attraction that is probably the best in Orlando right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom