Family of 5 - should we bring grandma too?

bluefish32

Original Poster
We're a family of 5, kids will be 4, 7, and 9 for our first trip to WDW next year. It is hard enough finding an onsite room for 5, but I'm seriously considering inviting energetic, helpful, easy going grandma to be our 6th person, but that limits our onsite options even more. Budget will keep us at the value/moderate level. I'm considering CBR for 5 people, or AoA/FW cabins is as high as we can go. What would you do? Thoughts?

Figgy1

Premium Member
IMHO I'd bring grandma because she'd get to enjoy all the fun with the grandkids and maybe you and your sig other would be able to enjoy one of the special adult only type meals. The other reason is chances are the 4yo would love to do a few things the 9yo would snarl at and it would make it easier to split up when needed. Same goes for if you have girls and boys. As far as where to stay paging @MySmallWorldof4

MySmallWorldof4

I would choose AoA over the cabins, only because you would consider taking a grandparent along. The extra bathroom will be necessary and more space is better with a third adult. If it was just you and the kids, I would choose the cabins with a golf cart.

bluefish32

Original Poster
Thanks for the input! I know grandma would be thrilled to be able to join us. As long as we can stay under our target budget and bring her along, I think it will be a great trip for the 6 of us.

We're looking at early May 2018 for our trip - what are the chances of finding a discount on AoA during that time of year? I have sticker shock at some of these hotel prices! I think it'll be worth it to stay on property for the kids' first visit. I'm much more comfortable with the Caribbean Beach Resort prices, but with the construction and only fitting 5, that is not looking like a great option to me.

MySmallWorldof4

Thanks for the input! I know grandma would be thrilled to be able to join us. As long as we can stay under our target budget and bring her along, I think it will be a great trip for the 6 of us.

We're looking at early May 2018 for our trip - what are the chances of finding a discount on AoA during that time of year? I have sticker shock at some of these hotel prices! I think it'll be worth it to stay on property for the kids' first visit. I'm much more comfortable with the Caribbean Beach Resort prices, but with the construction and only fitting 5, that is not looking like a great option to me.
You can get a discount at AoA that time of year. I have done it. I usually go a la carte. I get the advertised room discount for that time of year and purchase separately tickets from Park Savers. I actually purchased tickets from Park Savers at a huge discount in 2016, around October or November of last year. I did not have a hotel reservation. I plugged in the tickets in the My Disney Experience and assigned the tickets to whoever needed them. Dh had an AP, so we could take advantage of its discounts. Within 2 weeks of plugging in the tickets, I got an email with a Pin code for a nice discount. Whether that was a coincidence, I don't know. Found it curious though.In the end I changed the pin code discount with an AP, because the AP discount was better.

bluefish32

Original Poster
You can get a discount at AoA that time of year. I have done it. I usually go a la carte. I get the advertised room discount for that time of year and purchase separately tickets from Park Savers. I actually purchased tickets from Park Savers at a huge discount in 2016, around October or November of last year. I did not have a hotel reservation. I plugged in the tickets in the My Disney Experience and assigned the tickets to whoever needed them. Dh had an AP, so we could take advantage of its discounts. Within 2 weeks of plugging in the tickets, I got an email with a Pin code for a nice discount. Whether that was a coincidence, I don't know. Found it curious though.In the end I changed the pin code discount with an AP, because the AP discount was better.

So would it be best to go ahead and make a reservation at the current prices, and then apply a discount later, if and when one comes out?

I think I am going to get in touch with a Disney vacation planner, but I haven't decided if I'm going to buy tickets from an official reseller or direct from Disney. So many decisions!

MySmallWorldof4

So would it be best to go ahead and make a reservation at the current prices, and then apply a discount later, if and when one comes out?

I think I am going to get in touch with a Disney vacation planner, but I haven't decided if I'm going to buy tickets from an official reseller or direct from Disney. So many decisions!
I always wait until a discount comes out. I usually know the typical time for discounts so I will go on Disney's site every morning checking for special offers religiously. The discounts are only for a select number of rooms so when people find out, they can go quick regardless if you have a reservation or not. If you are not as crazy as me, then I would suggest what @figmentfan423 said. :)

jaklgreen

Another option is to request two connecting rooms at a value. That can typically be a cheaper option than a suite at AoA or a cabin at FW.

This is what I would suggest also. The suites are very expensive and the extra "beds" are a bunch of fold outs. With 2 rooms you will get 4 beds and 2 baths. You can get a very decent price at the values when they have their sales. Last year I got a room at All Star Movies for $108 a night.

wannabeBelle

Hi There!! Thank you @figmentfan423 for shouting out to me. I agree I would go with either two rooms at one of the Values or a Suite at AoA. Discounts are very much dependent on what is already booked, and what is open, but we can certainly discuss that. I will be in the office this Saturday from 9am until around noon or so and can be reached at the office number 1866-566-7858. Marie

bluefish32

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll discuss the specific budget numbers with an agent that a friend has personally recommended. Here's another question, though:
I was originally thinking we'd arrive on a Sunday and leave on a Saturday. Then I saw that the nonstop flight times are much more preferable on weekdays with my preferred airline. Is it worth it to burn weekdays traveling? I know the parks will be more crowded on the weekends so I was hoping to avoid that, but if it saves us hundreds on airfare, is it worth it?

Weather_Lady

I may be biased because my mother is no longer with us, but I say absolutely, bring grandma, and don't waste the opportunity to make memories with the entire family! She sounds awesome, and as someone who's visited WDW with a multi-generational party of 6, I can tell you that there's no better number for making sure nobody has to go on an attraction sitting alone. A Fort Wilderness Cabin (or if you can swing it, 2 connecting rooms at a value or moderate) will give you the most bang for your buck in terms of space.

You may also wish to consult the historical listings of past room discounts (https://www.mousesavers.com/historical-information-on-walt-disney-world-resort-discounts/) to see if you're likely to have one offered for your dates. (Regardless, once you've booked, keep checking back so you can modify your reservation immediately if any applicable discounts come out.)

Cosmic Commando

Another option that might be cheaper than a cabin or AoA suite is to get a campsite and rent a camper from a third party. For something that sleeps six, the cost would probably be around $275-350 per night altogether. The rental companies do all the work, and you just show up! Disney has preferred vendors; just Google and you'll find several options.

Here's a recent thread on the DIS: https://www.disboards.com/threads/camper-rental-recommendations.3634266/

Aside from that, I'd look into two rooms at Pop. Even if you don't end up in connecting rooms, you should be pretty close to each other.

bamawahine

We're a family of 5, kids will be 4, 7, and 9 for our first trip to WDW next year. It is hard enough finding an onsite room for 5, but I'm seriously considering inviting energetic, helpful, easy going grandma to be our 6th person, but that limits our onsite options even more. Budget will keep us at the value/moderate level. I'm considering CBR for 5 people, or AoA/FW cabins is as high as we can go. What would you do? Thoughts?

We've done Disney with grandparents twice- we just get two adjoining rooms at a value resort. It ends up being cheaper than a large suite style room in a "better" resort. The grandparents let my kids take turns crashing in their room on the spare bed, and made a big deal out of having a sleepover in the grandparent room. My kids a little older than yours, but still liked the time with the grandparents.

miltimo5

I agree bring grandma as mentioned easy to split up I went with my sister and her hubby and 6 kids.... 3-17 it was great who wants splash mnt ok who wants small world... ok go meet back at the carousel at 3pm. (this was before everyone had cell phones) worked great 3 adults and 6 kids. who wants to go back to the room for a nap bye bye see you at 6pm and grandma will have a blast too

bluefish32

Original Poster
Thought I’d update some of the decisions we’ve made. Grandma’s coming! And we booked a room at AoA. I know my kids will love the theming there. I also found an awesome deal on flights so went ahead and booked that, too. Now to fill in the details with restaurants and itinerary/game plan. I’m dying to tell my kids b/c I’m so excited, but we’re going to keep it under wraps until it gets closer. Thanks for the great input everyone.

Disney Lover Addie

Thought I’d update some of the decisions we’ve made. Grandma’s coming! And we booked a room at AoA. I know my kids will love the theming there. I also found an awesome deal on flights so went ahead and booked that, too. Now to fill in the details with restaurants and itinerary/game plan. I’m dying to tell my kids b/c I’m so excited, but we’re going to keep it under wraps until it gets closer. Thanks for the great input everyone.

1. Well, Cinderella's Royal Table at MK might sound like a whole lot of fun for the kids, but the crowds at that restaurant a huge, so be careful! Also you can just meet the princesses at the parks, you don't HAVE to eat with them, but it really depends on your kids.

2. I highly recommend you go to all four parks of course! (But I can understand if you didn't get a park hopper that those could be expensive)

3. Get the My Disney Experience App, because that app is extremely helpful!

4. Wait times tend to be a tiny bit shorter than they actually are but it depends on the ride.

5. I highly suggest you get a Hidden Mickey Book or some other thing for the family to do while you wait in line for an attraction, meet n' greet, etc.

6. Have an awesome trip!

Pixieish

I'm going to go against the flow and say that you should consider Grandma's disposition. My mother would love to come see the parks with my 2 sons, but 1) She hates flying. 2) She's VERY judgmental about other people, so I can imagine hearing her tear people apart for an entire week. 3) She doesn't enjoy walking unless it's alone and in the woods. 4) She's kind of obnoxious at restaurants.

I could go on, but you get the general idea. While I would love for my mother to enjoy the parks with my boys, it would just suck too much of the fun out of the trip for all of us if she DID come. It would probably be a different story if we were locals and she flew down to visit us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom