When to register?

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
I want to do the 2018 Wine and Dine Half Weekend. I know 2017's is the first weekend of Nov and is coming up quite quickly. Do you remember when registration opened for 2017's? I'm signed up for emails but don't want to miss registration for next years.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I want to do the 2018 Wine and Dine Half Weekend. I know 2017's is the first weekend of Nov and is coming up quite quickly. Do you remember when registration opened for 2017's? I'm signed up for emails but don't want to miss registration for next years.

Regular registration for 2017 opened at noon on January 17th. Early registration for APs/DVC members opened the Thursday before. Now that the Anaheim races are cancelled for 2018 (And possibly 2019), no telling if runDisney will continue to open registrations so far in advance.

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
Regular registration for 2017 opened at noon on January 17th. Early registration for APs/DVC members opened the Thursday before. Now that the Anaheim races are cancelled for 2018 (And possibly 2019), no telling if runDisney will continue to open registrations so far in advance.

Thank you for the help. I'll keep a lookout for when it opens.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you for the help. I'll keep a lookout for when it opens.

Just for comparison, registration for the 2016 W&D Half opened in late March 2016.

I wouldn't stress out too much about registering the minute the site opens up. Just checked the rD site - the 2017 W&D Half is still open....the race is in 13 days.

The races aren't selling out as quickly as they used to - used to sell out within hours or days. But with no C2C medal next year due to cancellation of the Anaheim races, don't know how that will affect the WDW races. The only 2018 Dark Side race that's sold out is the 10k. Most likely because people were waiting for news on the DLR races. Princess Half always sells out.

Good luck...and we'll see you there next year!

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
Just for comparison, registration for the 2016 W&D Half opened in late March 2016.

I wouldn't stress out too much about registering the minute the site opens up. Just checked the rD site - the 2017 W&D Half is still open....the race is in 13 days.

The races aren't selling out as quickly as they used to - used to sell out within hours or days. But with no C2C medal next year due to cancellation of the Anaheim races, don't know how that will affect the WDW races. The only 2018 Dark Side race that's sold out is the 10k. Most likely because people were waiting for news on the DLR races. Princess Half always sells out.

Good luck...and we'll see you there next year!

Can't wait! I do have another question, are you a local? If not where do you stay for race weekend?

LAKid53

Premium Member
Can't wait! I do have another question, are you a local? If not where do you stay for race weekend?

I live in Florida - 4 hour drive from doorstep to gate on Western Way.

I'm DVC, so i stay in one of my home resorts (have 4), usually Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek (Wilderness Lodge). I would strongly advise staying on property. With road closures, traffic is a nightmare at 3:00 am. All the WDW resorts will have charter buses to and from the races. And the same to and from the Expo (where you pick up your race bib and pre-ordered merchandise). I see they've added buses from the Expo to Disney Springs also.

Look at the race guide for the W&D next week - it's on the Runner tab for the race. You'll see where the staging area is (usually MK parking lot) and the finish line (Epcot). The guide will tell you where to park. I think for the 10k & half, you'll park at Epcot and then take a bus over to the MK parking lot. You don't want to miss starting because you're stuck in traffic. Or stand around longer than you need to because you drove.

Unfortunately, rD doesn't offer discounts for WDW hotels anymore. But there are usually discounts at that time of year. Once you register for the race, I'd get a hotel. The race is usually the last week or so of Food and Wine, which is a busy time.

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
I live in Florida - 4 hour drive from doorstep to gate on Western Way.

I'm DVC, so i stay in one of my home resorts (have 4), usually Boulder Ridge or Copper Creek (Wilderness Lodge). I would strongly advise staying on property. With road closures, traffic is a nightmare at 3:00 am. All the WDW resorts will have charter buses to and from the races. And the same to and from the Expo (where you pick up your race bib and pre-ordered merchandise). I see they've added buses from the Expo to Disney Springs also.

Look at the race guide for the W&D next week - it's on the Runner tab for the race. You'll see where the staging area is (usually MK parking lot) and the finish line (Epcot). The guide will tell you where to park. I think for the 10k & half, you'll park at Epcot and then take a bus over to the MK parking lot. You don't want to miss starting because you're stuck in traffic. Or stand around longer than you need to because you drove.

Unfortunately, rD doesn't offer discounts for WDW hotels anymore. But there are usually discounts at that time of year. Once you register for the race, I'd get a hotel. The race is usually the last week or so of Food and Wine, which is a busy time.

I was thinking of booking Y&B so that my friends can come down from the room and cheer for the half. Also, that is normally around mile 11.5 so it would be towards the end of the race and would be the easiest to get back to.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I was thinking of booking Y&B so that my friends can come down from the room and cheer for the half. Also, that is normally around mile 11.5 so it would be towards the end of the race and would be the easiest to get back to.

That's a really good plan. There are lots of people cheering on the runners on the Boardwalk as we run from DHS to Epcot. In their pjs...with cups of coffee. I would text them once you reach Hollywood Studios so they have time to get there.

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
That's a really good plan. There are lots of people cheering on the runners on the Boardwalk as we run from DHS to Epcot. In their pjs...with cups of coffee. I would text them once you reach Hollywood Studios so they have time to get there.

That was what was talked about. They are excited for me to venture into doing a Disney race.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That was what was talked about. They are excited for me to venture into doing a Disney race.

And you're starting with a Half...

You will enjoy them. Expensive, but worth it. Character photo opportunities in the parks and along the course, photopass photographers everywhere it seems (photos are included with registration), bands, cast members cheering you on, 1st aid tents and EMTs on bikes following runners if medical help is needed, water stations every 1.5 miles, a fuel station around mile 10 (hand out gel packs). My issue - not enough porta potties. Lines are long...and runDisney is serious about sweeping racers who can't stay ahead of the Balloon Ladies.

Once you finish your first, you will want to sign up for another!

DisneyDayDreamer

Original Poster
And you're starting with a Half...

You will enjoy them. Expensive, but worth it. Character photo opportunities in the parks and along the course, photopass photographers everywhere it seems (photos are included with registration), bands, cast members cheering you on, 1st aid tents and EMTs on bikes following runners if medical help is needed, water stations every 1.5 miles, a fuel station around mile 10 (hand out gel packs). My issue - not enough porta potties. Lines are long...and runDisney is serious about sweeping racers who can't stay ahead of the Balloon Ladies.

Once you finish your first, you will want to sign up for another!

I've done a few races before including a half. I want to do the challenge and honestly have been waiting until the cards fell right, so I could register. I'm hoping I don't get addicted my wallet wouldn't like that!

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've done a few races before including a half. I want to do the challenge and honestly have been waiting until the cards fell right, so I could register. I'm hoping I don't get addicted my wallet wouldn't like that!

If your wallet can afford it, do the Challenge. This year's Challenge medal is a passport - and it opens. Stamps from all the countries in WS are inside. You'll end up with 3 medals - 10k, Half and Challenge. Lots of bling!

dreamfinder

A lot of past registration dates are on my tracking thread here -> https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rundisney-race-availability-tracker.912442/ Your best bet will be to just keep poking around here and on the runDisney site, and sign up for notification when they let you do so. This past year they seem to be testing things with registration. For instance, Marathon Weekend in January opened registration a month after the race (and also let people who ran it register even earlier) while the Princess Weekend opened 2+ months after the race. As @LAKid53 mentioned, the races had been slowing out slower recently, but now that the DLR races are all cancelled, that may change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom