Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

bhg469

The fact that there are more rides under construction for DHS than are currently in the park tells you how lousy a park it is.
And it really is an example if Disney resting on their laurels is it not? Seems like they let it go for way too long and the only real "improvement" was adding a third track to midway mania when they really just needed to improve everything else.

bclane

I find DHS more appealing than EPCOT. Nice and compact. Easy to get to the different areas. Parking will be a nightmare. Hopefully there will be lots of APH sneak reviews. I would be willing to pay fir the after hours parties to avoid the crowds.
Same here man. And amen on the AP previews! The Pandora one I went to was fantastic and I am really hoping they do the same for SW:GE. I've never actually gone to any of the Disney after hours parties but I did get to go to the Force Awakens premiere party at DHS and it was one of the best times I've had a Disney in a long time. The after hours parties, that they will undoubtedly have after SW:GE opens, will probably be the only way to really experience the land the way it's meant to be experienced for a long time, so no doubt I'll have to try it out. Can't wait!!!

RSoxNo1

I find DHS more appealing than EPCOT. Nice and compact. Easy to get to the different areas. Parking will be a nightmare. Hopefully there will be lots of APH sneak reviews. I would be willing to pay fir the after hours parties to avoid the crowds.
I've run into days where that's the case. Epcot is a disaster right now but it's overshadowed by a bigger disaster. The problem is, the "solutions" to Epcot right now appear to be band aids which has been their approach for 20 years.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, October 22, 2017. From another viewpoint, at ground level, you can see the steel structures for future rockwork or show pieces above the main buildings. Similar to the structures when the mountains of Pandora were being built.

This view driving into the main Hollywood Studios entrance, before the parking kiosks.

IMG_0149.JPG

This view from the far end of Pixar Place.

IMG_0151.JPG

twebber55

I've run into days where that's the case. Epcot is a disaster right now but it's overshadowed by a bigger disaster. The problem is, the "solutions" to Epcot right now appear to be band aids which has been their approach for 20 years.
dont you think we should wait to see what all they announce and actually do before we criticize the end result?
you may be right but i dont think everything was announced

JediMasterMatt

New topic: Can any of our insiders (@JediMasterMatt, @marni1971, @articos, @Lee) share their hopes / worries / likes on the streetmosphere aspects of Galaxy's Edge? How to keep the illusion up when people want to stop you and take pictures all the time. In addition to the aliens / droids milling about, I'd like to believe there will be opportunities for dressed up drones (like the CG probe droids added to the streets of Mos Eisley in the special edition).

And while on the subject of things in the air, can we hope for anything flying overhead and landing on some of the rooftops - Any repurposed New Fantasyland dragons? o_O

The streetmosphere is one of the intriguing things about the project. Scott's group is keen for this to be one of the difference makers between it and his last project (Potter) as his hands were tied by Rowling in some aspects of what they wanted to do (story telling). It's quite ambitious in nature with a steady influx of performers (human, droid, and alien) participating and role playing. The goal is for it serve as the anchor (with other guest's in their Star Warsy purchased attire helping to augment this) in creating the renaissance fair in space vibe they are going for in the land.

If all this sounds expensive and complex, it will be... and that's why I'm afraid of the long term operational lifespan of this part of the project - especially in Florida. Florida will have an unfortunately easy path out as they can use the climate as an excuse (hot/humid/rainy).

Combined with the reality that both DL's and DHS's SWL's will most certainly be at capacity for large parts of their early life, I just don't know how practical adding more mass to the masses inside the land will work out from an operational perspective when their will be significant demand to get as many guests into the environment as possible.

The plan is to have GE as a bustling "wretched hive of scum and villainy". Let's just hope the scum and villainy isn't cut for operational reasons.

To paraphrase Obi-wan regarding the streetmosphere - "we must be cautious" in our optimism. At a minimum, expect some "permanent" First Order troops and Resistance fighters in some specific spots and a few of the "stores" will have dedicated role playing. The variable is the free range types and how successful they are to operate.

wdwgreek

The park's been underbuilt since its opened, and Disney is at fault for not fixing this along the way. Star Wars will only make it worse, not better.
Right from the moment it opened, everyone recognized they under built this park. for a while they made up for it, Star tours, Muppets and Sunset Boulevard were good additions capacity wise, but the park grew in such awkward spurts. Then it pretty much languished for ten to 15 years. The fact it currently operates with such a small attraction roster is sad. It will be woefully under capacity once star wars opens. They will need to do some more additions ASAP after 2019. I don't know if Toy storyland will be enough to really put a dent into the crowds they are about to see.

bclane

The streetmosphere is one of the intriguing things about the project. Scott's group is keen for this to be one of the difference makers between it and his last project (Potter) as his hands were tied by Rowling in some aspects of what they wanted to do (story telling). It's quite ambitious in nature with a steady influx of performers (human, droid, and alien) participating and role playing. The goal is for it serve as the anchor (with other guest's in their Star Warsy purchased attire helping to augment this) in creating the renaissance fair in space vibe they are going for in the land.

If all this sounds expensive and complex, it will be... and that's why I'm afraid of the long term operational lifespan of this part of the project - especially in Florida. Florida will have an unfortunately easy path out as they can use the climate as an excuse (hot/humid/rainy).

Combined with the reality that both DL's and DHS's SWL's will most certainly be at capacity for large parts of their early life, I just don't know how practical adding more mass to the masses inside the land will work out from an operational perspective when their will be significant demand to get as many guests into the environment as possible.

The plan is to have GE as a bustling "wretched hive of scum and villainy". Let's just hope the scum and villainy isn't cut for operational reasons.

To paraphrase Obi-wan regarding the streetmosphere - "we must be cautious" in our optimism. At a minimum, expect some "permanent" First Order troops and Resistance fighters in some specific spots and a few of the "stores" will have dedicated role playing. The variable is the free range types and how successful they are to operate.
All good points that express my fears as well. Even forgetting about costs, when the place is wall to wall people there won't be much they can even do with street performers without creating a bigger problem. Which is why they should have created multiple Star Wars lands across multiple WDW parks (or at the very least two separate lands in the same park but on opposite ends) to begin with. Crowd levels are going to be crazy insane for a long time without this.

britain

Terrific - thanks!

BrianLo

SWL looks like it's still running well on pace! Currently about 3.5 months behind.

Next check points to keep an eye out for:
1. MF should go vertical the second last week of August.
2. Alcatraz should have the last vertical corner of the main rectangular show-building by the first week of October.

If either of those occur earlier it's a good sign!

Checking on the progress.

1. Was perfectly on time.
2. Is delayed, more on a 4-4.5 month timeframe.

Next time points I'm watching for is:
1. The topping out of MF's tallest peak. Due the final week of Nov/start of December if we're on that ~3.5 month pace still, versus slipped.
2. The three peaks over the show building roof should have received their full scaffolding around the third week of January.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom