What is with the AC being off on Spaceship Earth?

Goofyernmost

I've seen complaints about A/C around this time of year over the years. I think Disney just adjusts the thermostat mid-September, no matter what the actual temps are.
Yes, and I'm sure that adjusting the temperature in that type of system is much more time consuming and other adjustments adjustments then just walking up to the wall and adjusting the thermostat. The zoned areas must be a nightmare.

ppete1975

we are lucky that its such an odd shape and design. I think if it wasn't so iconic, huge, odd and any other kind of ride wouldn't work (the proposed roller coaster), wed already had an ip or an overlay. I'm sure theyd love to do something else than whats there but it would be stupid to remove the ball (cost, iconic, the only identifiable building by people who have never gone), and outside of riding an omnimover slowly by frozen characters not sure what else they could do there.

Yert3

Original Poster
Just got off Spaceship Earth again. Was still hot up until the decent, then the AC seemed to be normal. Very strange.

Goofyernmost

Just got off Spaceship Earth again. Was still hot up until the decent, then the AC seemed to be normal. Very strange.
Hot Air Rises??? Maybe??? The tunnel like atmosphere of the geodesic design acts like a chimney sucking hot air in from outside though the never closed opening in the entrance and straight up the path.

Goofyernmost

Funny how these laws didn't come into play until a month or two ago, and the ride has always been comfortable for the many years we've ridden before recently.
This has actually been a topic of discussion for a number of years. It hits 100 degrees and the first thing you know things are hot. Somebody said that they cut back quite a while ago. Since no one has been using a thermostat and checking the daily temperature against the outside air, I'd say that it would be impossible to determine if it is any hotter then it was back a few years ago.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This has actually been a topic of discussion for a number of years. It hits 100 degrees and the first thing you know things are hot. Somebody said that they cut back quite a while ago. Since no one has been using a thermostat and checking the daily temperature against the outside air, I'd say that it would be impossible to determine if it is any hotter then it was back a few years ago.
That would depend on if there's been a remit from above to lower the AC.

Goofyernmost

That would depend on if there's been a remit from above to lower the AC.
It would also depend on point of view, constant exposure to compare and what some consider hot. It may very well be warmer then it has been in the past, but, just riding it on any random day does not mean a conspiracy afoot. I cannot really vouch for it because I have never, ever gone in the summer when the temperatures were in the 100's along with matching humidity. I do know that it has never been all that uncomfortable in the literally hundreds of times I have ridden my favorite attraction. Management may have cut it back at some point, I don't know. The differences in perception from person to person is huge when it comes to that. Just in my part time job driving a shuttle bus here in the No. Carolina heat, on the same day I have heard from passengers.. Man, this cool air feels good, I'm freezing turn down the AC, people putting on a sweater and others wanting it cooler on a chilly, rainy day in the winter. Mankind is not a dependable gauge for that stuff.

danyoung56

It hits 100 degrees and the first thing you know things are hot.....I'd say that it would be impossible to determine if it is any hotter then it was back a few years ago.

From my own experience and perception, the A/C in SSE was always incredible until recently. It didn't matter what the temps were outside - the ride was a cool blast of air. Of course I don't have a day to day breakdown. But there were plenty of times when it was 90 or above outside, and cool as a cuke inside the ride.

Goofyernmost

It no conspiracy. It would depend if a remit came down from above.
I obviously do not know the ins and outs of the situation, but, it saddens me that someone with your influence over readers of this board would be so into oversimplification of the situation. It seems to me that the engineering of the AC in that particular attraction would be complex. You don't run over to a wall and adjust the thermostat and it is done. There are many factors that lead to the temperature within the building. Do we hear this complaint every day? No, we do hear of it if it is extremely high temperatures outside. Seems like a reasonable expectation that it will be warmer inside. Temperature has little to do with it though, humidity has a major influence on how hot we feel. If it is 100% humidity then perspiration will not evaporate, you will feel hot and uncomfortable. If the humidity is 50% you will not be as warm because your cooling system is able to function. Remember that our body temperature is just 1.4 degrees less then 100 degrees.

As an example, just two weeks ago here, it was 104 degrees with 100% humidity. The shuttle bus I drive is usually capable of making the inside of that vehicle cold enough to hang meat in it safely. I was sitting in direct line of two of the cold air vents and water was pouring off me. It was still cold enough in the bus that even though it was a clear day, I had to run the windshield wipers all day because condensation was forming on the outside of the windows from the temperature contrast between the heat outside and the cold inside on the windows and with 100% humidity there was no evaporation. No AC would have been able to prevent that from happening.

Now I know that someone may have sent a directive to turn it down a bit, or not run it as cool as usual, but, surely they cannot be expected to set it, on a daily basis to the most extreme temperature that MIGHT happen. Since Epcot opened a whole new attitude about energy conservation has also become a strong topic. Wasting energy to that degree because someone was sweating a little is irresponsible and environmentally very unfriendly. Sure, they save money by conservation, but, to say that they shouldn't do anything about it because... it's not as cold as I like it to be, is not much of a legacy to leave future generations. Not to mention the equal number of complaints generated for the "I'm always cold" faction of our population.

I'm going to stop this back and forth, because it is just getting me upset about something I have no control over, but, I wanted to point out a couple of things and just saying that someone remit a directive to change the setting is not the end all of the conversation. It is the simplistic, finger pointing, all problems are of one nature only attitude. We all should know better then that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I obviously do not know the ins and outs of the situation, but, it saddens me that someone with your influence over readers of this board would be so into oversimplification of the situation. It seems to me that the engineering of the AC in that particular attraction would be complex. You don't run over to a wall and adjust the thermostat and it is done. There are many factors that lead to the temperature within the building. Do we hear this complaint every day? No, we do hear of it if it is extremely high temperatures outside. Seems like a reasonable expectation that it will be warmer inside. Temperature has little to do with it though, humidity has a major influence on how hot we feel. If it is 100% humidity then perspiration will not evaporate, you will feel hot and uncomfortable. If the humidity is 50% you will not be as warm because your cooling system is able to function. Remember that our body temperature is just 1.4 degrees less then 100 degrees.

As an example, just two weeks ago here, it was 104 degrees with 100% humidity. The shuttle bus I drive is usually capable of making the inside of that vehicle cold enough to hang meat in it safely. I was sitting in direct line of two of the cold air vents and water was pouring off me. It was still cold enough in the bus that even though it was a clear day, I had to run the windshield wipers all day because condensation was forming on the outside of the windows from the temperature contrast between the heat outside and the cold inside on the windows and with 100% humidity there was no evaporation. No AC would have been able to prevent that from happening.

Now I know that someone may have sent a directive to turn it down a bit, or not run it as cool as usual, but, surely they cannot be expected to set it, on a daily basis to the most extreme temperature that MIGHT happen. Since Epcot opened a whole new attitude about energy conservation has also become a strong topic. Wasting energy to that degree because someone was sweating a little is irresponsible and environmentally very unfriendly. Sure, they save money by conservation, but, to say that they shouldn't do anything about it because... it's not as cold as I like it to be, is not much of a legacy to leave future generations. Not to mention the equal number of complaints generated for the "I'm always cold" faction of our population.

I'm going to stop this back and forth, because it is just getting me upset about something I have no control over, but, I wanted to point out a couple of things and just saying that someone remit a directive to change the setting is not the end all of the conversation. It is the simplistic, finger pointing, all problems are of one nature only attitude. We all should know better then that.
I can say the AC levels haven't been purposely lowered if it makes you feel better?

wdwfan22

Spaceship Earth has been hot for years as well as a few other attractions I can think of. Personally I don't think they are adjusting the A/C warmer as if that was the case all attractions would be the same temp. A perfect example is Imagination, the attraction is always cooler then other attractions at Epcot. I believe they are not fixing broken units and cleaning out vents as fast as they should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom