Changing resorts due to cost savings (POR to Art of Animation)

Mike_Gordon

Original Poster
Our family of 6 is headed to WDW for 8 nights in January. We had originally booked preferred rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. However, due to having a family of 6 we were required to book two rooms for 8 nights and it made the entire package very expensive ($10k+ room/food/airfare/tickets).
With the play, stay, and dine we moved to the Cars Suite at Art of Animation with a total cost saving of $2,400. With the assumption that we aren't rich, how could I not make the switch? Is there that big a difference between the hotels? If we were talking about the difference between a value resort and something like the Poly/Contempory/Grand Floridian I could justify the extra money for convenience, luxury, ect.

Thoughts?

epcotisbest

For us, $2400 is a significant savings. Personally, with a family of six, I would be looking at an offsite home or condo rental. Even with rental car, parking and less perks of staying onsite, the savings can be significant.
Last year my wife had a business meeting to attend with three of her staff and they would have needed two rooms. They rented a four-bedroom, four bath house for MUCH less than they could get two rooms onsite at even a value like POP or All Stars and everyone had their own bedroom and bathroom.
Now, some people won't even consider staying offsite, so if onsite is mandatory for you, just ignore my suggestion.

epcotisbest

You didn't mention the ages of your children, but you should love the Cars section of AoA
Yes, AoA is a nice place. Sometimes the theme seems a little over the top, but then sometimes the theme makes it much better. The big blue pool is amazing. Budget wise it is less friendly than some places, and won't offer the roominess or price point of an offsite choice, but it is nice, and very Disney.

Mike_Gordon

Original Poster
My kids are ages 8,6,6,6. We plan on staying onsite because we plan to go back to the resort mid day to rest before heading back out for dinner/return to park.

Weather_Lady

My kids are ages 8,6,6,6. We plan on staying onsite because we plan to go back to the resort mid day to rest before heading back out for dinner/return to park.

In that case, I think the Cars suite will be a perfect fit for your family.

My sister and her family stayed at AoA in a family suite (don't remember which theme) last year and they loved having the extra space, the extra bathroom, and the option to have some quick-and-easy breakfasts and lunches in the room. The one down-side was that with the adults in the master and the kids sleeping in the living/dining areas, they worried that the kids might be tempted to sneak out (or sleep-walk) into the hallway during the night, which made my sister anxious and actually interfered with her sleep, as she kept jumping up to check on them. If your kids aren't the type to do that, then you're golden (and if not, you can do what we do at home for my sleepwalking son -- hang a string of decorative sleighbells on the doorknob that makes a giant racket and wakes us up if he tries to open it - it's low-tech but it works!).

Tom P.

We fall into the category of people who would never consider staying off property. Being on property is just part of the experience for us. So I just wanted to offer my opinion from that perspective vs. those who are suggesting that you consider staying offsite.

We have stayed at both Riverside and Art of Animation. In fact, just last month, we spent 9 nights in a Cars Family Suite at AoA. For the kind of money you are talking about saving, I would have no hesitation staying at AoA instead of Riverside. In fact, for our family, I actually prefer AoA to Riverside, even though you're talking about a value resort instead of a moderate.

Riverside is beautiful, no doubt about it, and a fine resort. But for us with young children, the theming is just not as appealing to them as that of AoA, with its much more "Disney vibe." At Riverside, as you mention, we would have had to be in two rooms. Even if we got connecting rooms, that is not nearly as preferable to us as being able to all be together in one suite at AoA. Finally, Riverside is just way too big for us. You said you had a preferred room, so that would help, but we have stayed in rooms where it was going to be a 20 minute walk if you wanted to refill your mugs. At AoA, the close proximity of everything from food court to pool makes it very appealing.

What do you lose by going to a value resort? Well, AoA has no table service restaurant. For some people, I know that would be an important consideration. Landscape of Flavors, the quick service food court at AoA, however, is arguably the best food court on property and was more than sufficient for us. AoA's pool also has no slides like the moderate and deluxe pools. However, the Big Blue Pool is still fantastic and our kids enjoyed it immensely.

In the end, of course, it all comes down to personal preference. For our family, however, AoA is a wonderful choice and I highly recommend it.

Amos1784

Considering the age of your children I think this is the perfect choice. And I probably would have picked this off the bat instead of the two separate but adjoining rooms. Art of animation is great, the kids will love the big blue pool, the food court is more extensive, and in my opinion the bus service if far superior to Riverside. There is only one bus stop not multiple making the trips much quicker and more efficient.

I however also fall into the category of we would not stay off site. Magical Express, Bus Service, Disney Bubble...all worth it for us.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'd consider two rooms at an All-Star. Cheapest alternative, and most importantly, two bathrooms. Especially if the room is just the place to sleep until you run out to the park the next day.

DfromATX

We are ones who also only stay on property. I won't even consider staying offsite. I've stayed at both resorts and we are also a family of 6 so it's either 2 rooms or a suite for us. Because my kids are older and we don't have to be in the same room, I'd prefer POR because it was so nice, but in your situation I would definitely pick AofA. I think the kids will really enjoy it and since they're so young I'd want them close by.

DfromATX

I'd consider two rooms at an All-Star. Cheapest alternative, and most importantly, two bathrooms. Especially if the room is just the place to sleep until you run out to the park the next day.

I agree. If the OP didn't have such young children, I'd look at 2 value rooms for saving money. I think that's the cheapest route.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
There is also the family suite at the All Star Music Resort which is much less than a suite at AoA. It has a kitchenette with fridge, microwave and coffee maker.

jenmae56

We just returned from 7 nights in a Cars suite at AoA, 3 adults and 3 kids. We loved the resort. My kids loved all the theming. The Cars Suites are super close to the Animation Hall, where the food court is. The food court had a great selection of food. The pools were great. While the Big Blue Pool didn't have a slide, there is a splash pad and playground area right next to the pool. We will definitely be staying there again.

BigRedDad

Wow!!! That is all I can say. Even at $7600 for 8 days and 6 people it is insanely expensive. I prefer to go the cheaper route and stay offsite to cut that down by another $2-$3k. Even if having to rent a car and upgrading one pass to an AP you will save $1,000s. If staying onsite is required, I would even seek the price of 2 standard Value rooms. That doubles the beds, bathrooms, and more space. This doesn't even factor in the cost savings for meals as well.

I've stayed at Port Orleans and Dixie Landings/Riverside several times, but I think I'm done with it. It's soooooo huuuuuuge. Transportation is a problem there. We just started driving ourselves wherever we wanted to go instead of taking the pokey buses.

MickeyMomV

I've stayed at Port Orleans and Dixie Landings/Riverside several times, but I think I'm done with it. It's soooooo huuuuuuge. Transportation is a problem there. We just started driving ourselves wherever we wanted to go instead of taking the pokey buses.
"Port Orleans and Dixie Landings/Riverside"?? Maybe its been a little while since you were there last. They made some changes about 16 years ago and did away with the "Dixie Landings" name. People often post about how good the bus service is to these resorts compared to others. So if you were there recently and had a bad experience it may be isolated. We will be there in just under a month and are anticipating a great time. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom