Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

PUSH

Original Poster
Here's a problem I've been dwelling on for far too many days/weeks. Crayon storage. Each kid has their box of crayons. As imagined, the cardboard box is not holding up well at all. So I'm looking for solutions on small containers that will hold a 24 box of crayons. A teacher a couple doors down has perfect containers from the Dollar Tree, but they don't sell them anymore. I ordered some soap containers, which are the perfect size, but the lids are bound to break off within a month.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent trying to solve this problem.

NYwdwfan

Don't forget about the Captain and Tenille.

And appropriately we're on page 1976.

Love. Love will keep us together. Think of me babe whenever - some sweet talkin’ girl comes along. Singing her song. Look in your heart and you’re bound to be strong and STOP. Cuz I really love you. STOP. I’ve been thinking of you. Look in your heart and let LOVE keep us together. Forever.

Now to Google and see if I messed it up at all.

ETA knew I messed up the middle:
Don't mess around, you just gotta be strong

Last edited:

Lucky

Here's a problem I've been dwelling on for far too many days/weeks. Crayon storage. Each kid has their box of crayons. As imagined, the cardboard box is not holding up well at all. So I'm looking for solutions on small containers that will hold a 24 box of crayons. A teacher a couple doors down has perfect containers from the Dollar Tree, but they don't sell them anymore. I ordered some soap containers, which are the perfect size, but the lids are bound to break off within a month.

Based on my expertise as an ex-first grader, I'd say just forget the crayons and let them finger paint.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

Google image is your friend.
Soup cans - painted or papered
Plastic flower pots
Wood blocks - with drilled holes
Boxes - with drilled holes
PVC pipes - painted

C928D16F-30C5-471E-92C3-59CEE7B692F8.png 0E2C235A-373C-4AC1-81F8-42C6CF1D04F2.jpeg 2FA81372-81B7-4EAE-9153-65CE932FEA61.jpeg C4751888-1BAE-4D41-BA56-3EE173200080.jpeg 6B95D026-43D1-461A-AF8B-AA2AF81E452D.jpeg 1431EC82-B8D1-4307-93F4-514FA2FF332D.jpeg 5F5CD404-AC4D-4EAA-AEC5-344BD1038D64.jpeg

Lucky

Love. Love will keep us together. Think of me babe whenever - some sweet talkin’ girl comes along. Singing her song. Look in your heart and you’re bound to be strong and STOP. Cuz I really love you. STOP. I’ve been thinking of you. Look in your heart and let LOVE keep us together. Forever.

Now to Google and see if I messed it up at all.
Muskrat Love is my fave.
:rolleyes:

MinnieM123

Premium Member

When I was in grade school, we all had our own desk where we'd store our pencils, crayons, etc. We left the crayons in the cardboard box they came in, and I don't recall the boxes falling apart--unless the boxes are cheaply made now? o_O

I used to like the fabric "pouch" style of pencil/pen bag -- it could be also used for crayons, to keep them all together. Now, this is providing each kid had his/her own storage at the desk. (If the kids just throw them up on a shelf in the classroom when they're done, they'd break in the pouch bags.)

Target sells these in the school supplies section. (One is called the Yoobi™ Mesh Pencil Case --comes in a few fun designs -- $3.99. Would the parents be willing to buy these for you?)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have two drawers in my classroom in which one is crayons and colored pencils and the other is markers. I literally dump the coloring tools in the right drawers and then when my kids need colors they just get what they want out of those drawers. Then I don't have to worry about sorting or containers. Works good for me, but I have older kids in my room.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
@Mike S - I read this on FB today, and thought yup, this summarizes The Hip and Gord and their relationship to Canadians perfectly.

Dear Rest of the World:

You’re probably looking at Canada (if you look at us at all) and wondering how an entire nation can be consumed with grief over the death of a singer. A rock singer, no less.

“Seriously, Canada? And even your Prime Minister was crying? And now some people are talking about a state funeral for this guy? What’s up with that?”

It’s ... hard to explain. But let me try.

First, we’re not ashamed about any of this. You see, The Hip was Canada’s house band and their frontman was our defacto poet laureate. To put it another way, if there was a World Cup of Rock, Canada would send The Tragically Hip.

Second, The Hip taught us about ourselves. Gord and the band were unabashedly Canadian without being jingoistic or wrapping themselves in the flag. How many people learned of Hugh MacLennan or David Milgaard through Hip lyrics? How many people across the country were sent to atlases to locate Bobcaygeon or Algonquin Park? And then there were all the hockey stories: Bill Barilko, references to the 1972 Canada-Russia series.

If there isn’t already an undergraduate course that teaches Canadian history, politics, geography and sociology using the lyrics of The Tragically Hip, it’s just a matter of time.

Third, we learned to appreciate Gord’s often obtuse and opaque lyrics. They stood up to repeated listening, often revealing new layers with repeated listening. His writings (including his sundry non-music poetry) is worth study the same way we look at the works of Leonard Cohen, Michael Ondaatje and Al Purdy, one of Gord’s heroes.

But hey, Rest of the World, you did have a chance — multiple chances! — to get in on this action. But for some reason, you chose not to. (You people along the border in the U.S. and some folks in western Europe and Australia are exempt. You know who you are.)

After a couple of failed attempts to break into the American market that were thwarted by record company politics, bad luck and other things beyond the band’s control, The Hip retrenched and super-served their domestic fan base which responded with even more devotion.

In fact, it was perhaps because they couldn’t break it big in America that we embraced them even more. You didn’t want ’em, so we hung on even tighter. They were ours.

They sold millions of albums and hundreds of thousands of concert tickets from coast to coast. We travelled from gig to gig, often outnumbering the locals when The Hip played U.S. cities and were stunned more of you didn’t attend. Couldn’t you see what you were missing?

But unless you’re Canadian, you probably won’t understand.

— Alan Cross is a self professed professional music geek, broadcaster and founder of @musictechto@alancross

Goofyernmost

Record company politics? Come on... I never heard of Gord and I have Canadian connections. But, perhaps their sound was not easily sold in the US and without the local connection, hard to establish that kind of following. We certainly don't have a problem with taking in Canadian entertainers. Most of our popular comedians and many of our movie stars are Canadian and least we forget, although we are trying, Justin Beiber.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Record company politics? Come on... I never heard of Gord and I have Canadian connections. But, perhaps their sound was not easily sold in the US and without the local connection, hard to establish that kind of following. We certainly don't have a problem with taking in Canadian entertainers. Most of our popular comedians and many of our movie stars are Canadian and least we forget, although we are trying, Justin Beiber.
The article says it all - Canada’s house band. (Lots of fans in Buffalo and Detroit too.)

And no offence, but you’re a teeny, tiny bit outside of their target audience demographic. :hilarious:

PUSH

Original Poster
Google image is your friend.
Soup cans - painted or papered
Plastic flower pots
Wood blocks - with drilled holes
Boxes - with drilled holes
PVC pipes - painted

View attachment 239458 View attachment 239459 View attachment 239460 View attachment 239461 View attachment 239462 View attachment 239463 View attachment 239464
I've seen all those. And I've kind of started by not using community supplies, because some students brought different crayons, so they use the ones the brought. And sorting them by color would be a huge task to keep up with my group. And the space for storing them is a concern, too. I need small containers that won't break easily.

PUSH

Original Poster
When I was in grade school, we all had our own desk where we'd store our pencils, crayons, etc. We left the crayons in the cardboard box they came in, and I don't recall the boxes falling apart--unless the boxes are cheaply made now? o_O

I used to like the fabric "pouch" style of pencil/pen bag -- it could be also used for crayons, to keep them all together. Now, this is providing each kid had his/her own storage at the desk. (If the kids just throw them up on a shelf in the classroom when they're done, they'd break in the pouch bags.)

Target sells these in the school supplies section. (One is called the Yoobi™ Mesh Pencil Case --comes in a few fun designs -- $3.99. Would the parents be willing to buy these for you?)
Probably not, because the closest Target would be 30 minutes away. Plus, they just paid for other pencil boxes at the beginning of the year that I am storing other things in.

PUSH

Original Poster
I have two drawers in my classroom in which one is crayons and colored pencils and the other is markers. I literally dump the coloring tools in the right drawers and then when my kids need colors they just get what they want out of those drawers. Then I don't have to worry about sorting or containers. Works good for me, but I have older kids in my room.
I wish I could do that, but we use crayons daily... sometimes multiple times a day. So they need them right by.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom