picture taking: public vs personal space

Damon7777

Original Poster
Disney Springs and parks....
What is the proper distance that a picture taker is entitled to "block" when declaring a temporary "personal space" on a pathway.

What I'm getting at is there are clear cases of violation and clear cases of ethical space use by the picture taker. So what is your understanding and expectation of the allowable distances?

danyoung56

I agree with the above. I'll usually stop and give them a reasonable time to take their pic. But if they're snapping 20 pics or doing a dozen different configurations of the family, I'll just walk on through and not worry at all if I ruin one of the snaps. It's a case of people being polite, and I have no problem being "rude" once the other party has been rude.

JIMINYCR

Disney encourages guests to photograph throughout their parks and property excluding on rides and during shows. There are no set rules or standards about personal space or length of time setting up a shot. Some guests are amateur photographers and only take a brief second to set up and click away, while others are very clinical in getting the perfect setting, angle, and scene before they shoot. I'll give them a respectful amount of time a few minutes, and distance because its their vacation memory they want to capture in that moment. And I'm aware that everyone is different in their comfort level, understanding in how to use a camera and ability to use a camera. But if they are taking too long or I am in a hurry to pass by, I'll ask them to hold off until I can get past them and out of range of their shot. If they are expecting an entirely clear zone to take a photo, at Disney during crowded times, they are being unreasonable.

Phonedave

For me, it depends on a number of factors.

- How long are they taking
- How big of a space (distance) are they trying to clear.
- How bad are the crowds
- is there a an alternate path around them.

If someone is settin up a quick shot of their family, off to the side, during low crowd levels, I will either stop or walk around them.

If they are blocking the entire path, while waiting for the perfect shot, while the park is crowded, then no, I am not stopping.

It really boils down to tryihg to be polite on both sides. If you are going to block a path to take a picture, then block as little as possible, and do it quickly.

If somone is clearly trying to be considerate by taking a quick picture, then make it even quicker by not walking in front of them.

-dave

Damon7777

Original Poster
Here's my take.
I have an approx 4' rule. Under no circumstances(assumes normal guest visit as in no VIP treatment whereby cast sets aside a perimeter or designated area) is a picture taker morally allowed/entitled to block walkways or impede the normal flow of foot traffic beyond say 4'.

If one is trying to get the shot I never stop or go around. Never.
Why? Because I operate on a different assumption than most people. The picture taker has a duty not to impede and must yield to foot traffic, absolutely not the other way around.

Now if the picture taker is on the sideline of a main thoroughfare trying to get a shot then he is entitled to stand there as long as he wants as that constitutes his personal space. I see no issue with up to 4 feet of protruding into the walkways......past that I walk on through

Damon7777

Original Poster
but at about 2 minutes I will say excuse me and walk through

2 minutes? Why do I not believe this.
You will wait 2 minutes in the middle of a pathway for one to get off a shot? This does not sound believable.

I would question if one said 30 seconds. And you're saying you would wait 4 times that????

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
You will wait 2 minutes in the middle of a pathway for one to get off a shot? This does not sound believable.

I would question if one said 30 seconds. And you're saying you would wait 4 times that????

I guess we are not usually in that big of a hurry. Maybe 30 secs when our kids were small, but we have plenty of time to do what we want in the parks. Like is too short to get stressed out by people being inconsiderate.

JimW

Premium Member

Take a breath. @Bullseye1967 said that two minutes is how long they'd wait. While that may make you feel incredulous, I promise that it'll be OK.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There are plenty of angles and spaces to take amazing shots without disturbing others.

If you really want that one of a kind angle, without distraction, plan your trip accordingly and you can find them with EMH, early park entry for ADR, etc.

I've been able to put together hours upon hours of video and photographic shots with no more than a minute or two at each location, including the dancing video.

That said, I respect when others are taking pictures, and even will offer (generally you'll find one in the group is taking it, and what is taking so long is they take turns to "get them all" to make it happen).

PUSH

I personally like to take 27 pictures at multiple angles with the same background. In order to do this, I must have the maximum amount of space. For example, the path around World Showcase is really not that wide, so I back up to the bushes while I place my Stitch stuffed animal near the lagoon so I can get wide shots of him with SSE in the background. If people are being rude and ruining my shots, I sometimes bring my own police tape and block off the path. The results get me a lot of likes on Instagram.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom