The Imagineering Break Room

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Not sure where to put this, but...

Last night over on my DisneySeaTrip Report thread, @S.P.E.W went and suggested a crazy new Imagineering project - an all-new DisneySea in a new location!

We rather briefly brainstormed port-of-call concepts for a Hong Kong DisneySea, as quoted above. This won't be an active project for a while still, but thought I'd share the ideas here for any feedback.
I love the idea of having DCL dock in the park!! What a msgnificent experience that would be. You could drop off your luggage at an entrance area outside the park, and you get an included park morning with your cruise. It’s brilliant. The kinetics oh my goodness!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I love the idea of having DCL dock in the park!! What a msgnificent experience that would be. You could drop off your luggage at an entrance area outside the park, and you get an included park morning with your cruise. It’s brilliant. The kinetics oh my goodness!
We did this for Disneyland Brasil concepts a few years back. Sywtbai season 2, iirc.

Suchomimus

Eek, for some reason the notifications to the TR thread stopped for meo_O Back on now - that sounds like a fun project down the road! Maybe next year or so!
I actually thought about recommending the concept of making a competition where groups or individual imagineers come up with a DisneySEA style theme park but I thought you’d think that would’ve been a silly idea.

Suchomimus

Not sure where to put this, but...

Last night over on my DisneySeaTrip Report thread, @S.P.E.W went and suggested a crazy new Imagineering project - an all-new DisneySea in a new location!

We rather briefly brainstormed port-of-call concepts for a Hong Kong DisneySea, as quoted above. This won't be an active project for a while still, but thought I'd share the ideas here for any feedback.
If we’re going to incorporate the film Atlantis, we should make an attraction where guests can ride those scooters (it’s been a long time since I saw the film) we see the Atlanteans ride; maybe make them like the Tron coaster vehicles?

D Hulk

If we’re going to incorporate the film Atlantis, we should make an attraction where guests can ride those scooters (it’s been a long time since I saw the film) we see the Atlanteans ride; maybe make them like the Tron coaster vehicles?
Agreed. They could even duel against Rourke's biplanes.

There is actually a whole, whole lot we can do with Atlantis in a theme park setting. More than I feel like writing an essay about right now. Progressive land transitions from the surface to the underwater empire via submarines and caverns. Though the film underperformed, I suspect this concept is the one that'll excite Imagineers the most!

Suchomimus

Agreed. They could even duel against Rourke's biplanes.

There is actually a whole, whole lot we can do with Atlantis in a theme park setting. More than I feel like writing an essay about right now. Progressive land transitions from the surface to the underwater empire via submarines and caverns. Though the film underperformed, I suspect this concept is the one that'll excite Imagineers the most!
What if we reused the Fire Mountain concept that was never built for Disney World since that was supposed to be based around the movie?

D Hulk

What if we reused the Fire Mountain concept that was never built for Disney World since that was supposed to be based around the movie?
I'm not very familiar with that concept, though I've heard the name.

More familiar out west is the rejected Atlantis overlay they proposed for the Submarine Voyage before Nemo (Finding, not Captain) took it over. They would've even built a caldera around the lagoon hugging the Matterhorn!

Ideas like that I suspect heavily influenced Mysterious Island at DisneySea. Wonder if they used any Fire Mountain DNA?

Suchomimus

I'm not very familiar with that concept, though I've heard the name.
If you have, then you’ve probably heard about Bald Mountain because both attractions were developed by two imagineering teams who coming up with a replacement for 20KL.
Ideas like that I suspect heavily influenced Mysterious Island at DisneySea. Wonder if they used any Fire Mountain DNA?
Probably. The idea for Fire Mountain did come out in the 90s, the same time that DisneySEA was being developed.

D Hulk

For the park’s icon, should we do something like Mount Prometheus, the lighthouse from Islands of Adventure, or something original ?
A volcano is pretty inevitable with lots of the Sea ideas, like Atlantis, Moana and Pirates (Shipwreck Island from the third one is in a caldera). It needs to be distinct from Mt. Prometheus though, like the big golden SpaceStation Earth they'd considered for WestCOT being distinct. Or the two US castles. (My feeling for Hong Kong is to actually reduce the scale from TDS to match that resort's personality.)

Any other icon ideas, though, we ought to consider. TDS has a lighthouse and HKDS likely will too.

What about the AquaSphere in the entry plaza?

Suchomimus

A volcano is pretty inevitable with lots of the Sea ideas, like Atlantis, Moana and Pirates (Shipwreck Island from the third one is in a caldera). It needs to be distinct from Mt. Prometheus though, like the big golden SpaceStation Earth they'd considered for WestCOT being distinct. Or the two US castles. (My feeling for Hong Kong is to actually reduce the scale from TDS to match that resort's personality.)

Any other icon ideas, though, we ought to consider. TDS has a lighthouse and HKDS likely will too.

What about the AquaSphere in the entry plaza?
The Aquasphere could work. I also thought about a temple for the Congolese river area as well as a hall in the entry city similar to Fortress Explorations where it serves as a fictional meeting place where it unites all the S.E.A. members and acts as a showcase for artifacts from both Tokyo and Hong Kong’s DisneySEAs and could also house something special like a show or a dark ride.

D Hulk

The Aquasphere could work. I also thought about a temple for the Congolese river area as well as a hall in the entry city similar to Fortress Explorations where it serves as a fictional meeting place where it unites all the S.E.A. members and acts as a showcase for artifacts from both Tokyo and Hong Kong’s DisneySEAs and could also house something special like a show or a dark ride.
Absolutely, yes! Each port will have an iconic weenie. For the Congo, shall we include something like King Solomon's Mines for a coaster? For ancient Greece's weenie, what about something like a toppled Colossus of Rhodes?

What should our entry city be? I simply adore Mediterranean Harbor and MiraCosta. Something similar but different might focus instead on France's Côte d'Azur and Nice and Monte Carlo. Going the other direction, I like Istanbul a lot, but I already used that for Monstrous Realms' entry realm. Or it doesn't have to be Mediterranean-set, but something else entirely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom