Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

ToTBellHop

Are we not talking about TSM?
Yeah, I don't understand the argument here, either. Midway Mania could change over to a Halloween overlay (which actually could be fun) overnight and change over to a Christmas overlay just as quickly. Plus it would be easily marketable in the area through billboards and commercials. With its added capacity, this should have been a no brainer to help weather the time until Star Wars opens and fills the sidewalks with a horde.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Sorry guys misread that, I thought we were referring to other attractions with physical set pieces that needed to be overlayed.
I wouldn't see how it would take more than overnight for TSM.

Daveeeeed

I do believe it takes DL several days if not weeks for the Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain overlays. Its not that easy to overlay an entire ride if you want quality results like DL's HM.
True if they go literally all out with the queue and parts of the ride, but it would not take nearly as long as almost every other ride as most of it would be the screens themselves. The queue could be done easily decorated in just a few hours, or with a 1-day off time. Now, if they were to do this, I’d expect them to want to go all out, so I would assume it would take more like a week downtime, but it would be one of the easiest rides to have an overlay on even to go all out on.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, I don't understand the argument here, either. Midway Mania could change over to a Halloween overlay (which actually could be fun) overnight and change over to a Christmas overlay just as quickly. Plus it would be easily marketable in the area through billboards and commercials. With its added capacity, this should have been a no brainer to help weather the time until Star Wars opens and fills the sidewalks with a horde.
Alternatively, it could have different scenes outside of the holidays to add some variability. They have the Bo Peep option already available.

Goofyernmost

Facts matter. Four months without the standard show is accurate. But only 3 1/2 weeks of total refurbishment during which time they also refurbish the actual ride.

Mansion:
  • January 8, 2018 to January 18, 2018
  • August 28, 2017 to September 14, 2017
  • January 9, 2017 to January 19, 2017
  • August 22, 2016 to September 8, 2016
  • January 11, 2016 to January 21, 2016
  • August 24, 2015 to September 10, 2015
It doesn't really matter if the "regular" refurb is included or not. It is still 4 months without the original. Without the overlay it is, according to what you said... less then 3 weeks. Big difference there. And for what... just another collection of cardboard cutouts consisting of more toons instead of 3D exaggerated life animatronics. Seems like a very poor trade off to me. Granted I have only seen the overlay once, but, that was all I needed to know that if I traveled across country to Disneyland, to absorb myself in the "original" it was just not worth it. (and I did) I don't care if, in Disneyland, the overlay everything in sight... I don't have to see it because I have only been there once in the 62 years it has existed. But keep that stuff for those that are bored with the original, I, for one, am not.

ToTBellHop

It doesn't really matter if the "regular" refurb is included or not. It is still 4 months without the original. Without the overlay it is, according to what you said... less then 3 weeks. Big difference there. And for what... just another collection of cardboard cutouts consisting of more toons instead of 3D exaggerated life animatronics. Seems like a very poor trade off to me. Granted I have only seen the overlay once, but, that was all I needed to know that if I traveled across country to Disneyland, to absorb myself in the "original" it was just not worth it. (and I did) I don't care if, in Disneyland, the overlay everything in sight... I don't have to see it because I have only been there once in the 62 years it has existed. But keep that stuff for those that are bored with the original, I, for one, am not.
Cardboard cutouts? You must’ve ridden a different HMH than me.
635453BC-63AA-4F30-9FB5-47F3FDBFCD9D.jpeg

677897C9-ACC4-4CC8-AA30-4776DC0CD788.jpeg

Daveeeeed

Hate on my Nightmare elsewhere!:mad:

Timothy_Q

32E6523F-F248-4AE4-8B47-B1F048C8DAAE.png

Goofyernmost

Hate on my Nightmare elsewhere!:mad:
Oops, sorry, I guess I hit a bony nerve. Funny thing I thought that I was entitled to my opinion, but, since it appears that I have to prove my words, how, about you guys explain to me why it is OK to take a classic and cover it up by a temporary modern, limited appeal, image of haunting. BTW, it has to be more convincing then "take your hate elsewhere" or "being Grumpy".

How'd you feel about the Castle Cake. Bet you didn't like it and thought it a travesty. I liked it, a lot. But, that was a special occasion not a year after year distortion of a classic attraction.

ToTBellHop

Oops, sorry, I guess I hit a bony nerve. Funny thing I thought that I was entitled to my opinion, but, since it appears that I have to prove my words, how, about you guys explain to me why it is OK to take a classic and cover it up by a temporary modern, limited appeal, image of haunting. BTW, it has to be more convincing then "take your hate elsewhere" or "being Grumpy".

How'd you feel about the Castle Cake. Bet you didn't like it and thought it a travesty. I liked it, a lot. But, that was a special occasion not a year after year distortion of a classic attraction.
HMH's wait times beg to differ with your "limited appeal."

You're allowed to dislike something. You claimed "cardboard cutouts," which is an alternative fact.

FAKE NEWS! SAD!

Goofyernmost

HMH's wait times beg to differ with your "limited appeal."

You're allowed to dislike something. You claimed "cardboard cutouts," which is an alternative fact.

FAKE NEWS! SAD!
This is a freaking theme park, not a damn political debate. What it appeared to me was a mostly cheap overlay, where that is exactly what happened. They took things whether they be cardboard, cloth or cloth and a plastic head and put it on already existing things. You may like it and others may like it and as far as I am concerned you can run the thing 24/7 in Sunny California. I'm sure the lines are long, but, if you were to take two attractions and put the overlay and the original side by side and told people they could only see one, how long do you think the line would be of the overlay instead of the original Haunted Mansion. I'm not talking about those that live right in the area and use DL as an adult day care, but, the general world wide public that WDW receives.

I personally don't like Jack Skellington or any other of Tim Burton's dark creations. I know some do, but, I don't see it worthwhile to the degree that the original is hidden for 4 months. I went to DL once in my lifetime and had the incredible misfortune of arriving in time to only be able to see the overlay. Unless something totally unexpected happens I will never be going back again. Yes, I am angry that I didn't get to see the authentic Haunted Mansion and instead was forced to watch a cartoon take over one of the finest dark ride attraction ever built.

What say we end this discussion and just agree to disagree. I don't have to like it and you can love it forever if you so choose, it had a negative affect on my one time and will never get the opportunity to do so again.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

At the risk of going even further off topic...
I came across this video recently that talks to the Imagineers behind the HMH. It gave me a better appreciation of this attraction, even though I have only ridden the regular version of the DL mansion. The only thing bad about this video is the title cards but stick with it if you are interested in the thought process around this atttraction.

And now my somewhat forced attempt to get back on topic...

Does anyone think the M&MRT will be able to be updated easily? It seems like there will be physical sets that transform and those surfaces will be projected upon. How hard would it be to update the animation that is projected onto the sets? I am talking mostly cosmetic changes. The scene is a nice summer scene, but it seems they could easily change the projections for that scene to a winter scene. Now there is a little snow on the trees, the grass is replaced by snow, a scarecrow is replaced with a snowman, etc... Not that Disney would do this since they can't even change the TSMM scenes, but I wonder if anyone knows if this would be possible and within reason.

Frizzball

I came across this video recently that talks to the Imagineers behind the HMH. It gave me a better appreciation of this attraction, even though I have only ridden the regular version of the DL mansion. The only thing bad about this video is the title cards but stick with it if you are interested in the thought process around this atttraction.

Does anyone think the M&MRT will be able to be updated easily? It seems like there will be physical sets that transform and those surfaces will be projected upon. How hard would it be to update the animation that is projected onto the sets? I am talking mostly cosmetic changes. The scene is a nice summer scene, but it seems they could easily change the projections for that scene to a winter scene. Now there is a little snow on the trees, the grass is replaced by snow, a scarecrow is replaced with a snowman, etc... Not that Disney would do this since they can't even change the TSMM scenes, but I wonder if anyone knows if this would be possible and within reason.

I imagine it would be possible if only because of what they've done with Mission Breakout for Halloween at DCA. After 6pm over the course of the holiday the entire plot line of the ride alters and the ride becomes Guardians of the Galaxy: Monsters After Dark with new projections, vocal lines, pre show story etc. Both the Halloween overlay and the original ride format are available on the same day. If they can change every aspect of a ride (except for it's mechanics) and be able to switch it back to normal with no down time, I don't see how they couldn't alter a couple of scenes for this ride.

GlacierGlacier

Thanks for that video. I hadn't seen it before, and despite the awful title cards (must be a graduate of the school of bad reality TV editing) I watched it all. I love seeing people so enthusiastic about their own work.

As for any changes to MAMRR, I think we'll have to wait and see. The only footage we have so far of the effects are from that one clip at d23, but going by that, those seasonal changes you mentioned wouldn't be that bad, I'd feel, in terms of work. Of course, they'd first have to actually take care of their rides first, but I'd love for small tweaks like that to be regular.

Brian Swan

Okay, but WHAT is that song from? It's driving me crazy, I know I've heard it before.
Definitely Pinocchio. It's one of the first themes you hear at the beginning of the film. It comes back again in Gepetto's workshop. It's one of the main themes, so I'm sure it winds its way in and out of the score in other places as well, but I'd have to listen to it agin...

sedati

There's been talk of the ride not using the whole of the building. Could this leftover space be used for an exit shop as this ride seems ripe for pushing plush sales? And if so, could this ride feature a completely separate load/unload area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom