Visceral Games' Star Wars Project Delayed; Studio Closing (UPDATE: GAME IS NOW CANCELLED)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ad-space-single-player-star-wars-project.aspx

EA have announced that they are shutting down Visceral Games, the studio behind the entire Dead Space series, Battlefield Hardline, and an upcoming unnamed Star Wars game that had been teased by EA in previous years.

Visceral brought Amy Hennig, most famously known as director of Uncharted 2, on board for the studio's Star Wars game that is now being significantly retooled. As EA's executive vice president Patrick Söderlund implied in a blog post, the game seems to be moving from a self-contained single-player experience to a long-term Games as a Service model.

“In its current form, it was shaping up to be a story-based, linear adventure game. Throughout the development process, we have been testing the game concept with players, listening to the feedback about what and how they want to play, and closely tracking fundamental shifts in the marketplace. It has become clear that to deliver an experience that players will want to come back to and enjoy for a long time to come, we needed to pivot the design.”

Work on the game will slowly wind down at Visceral as EA shutters the studio and will transfer to EA Vancouver, who had already been helping to work on the game. There is no word on how EA plans to proceed with Amy Hennig yet.

As part of this shift, the Star Wars game is also being delayed from 2019 to an undefined date in the future. It is unknown if any of the original teaser or game design will remain.

Electronic Arts have full exclusivity for Star Wars console games, a deal that ensured much of the company would be focusing on the license for the foreseeable future. This continues with the release of Battlefront II on November 17, which is being worked on by studios including EA Motive, DICE, and Criterion.

erasure fan1

This is exactly why I did not want EA making star wars games. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure seams like EA is scrapping a story driven game and shifting it to something more multi-player based so they can slap us with micro transactions. This partnership has been a huge bust in my eyes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is exactly why I did not want EA making star wars games. I hope I'm wrong, but it sure seams like EA is scrapping a story driven game and shifting it to something more multi-player based so they can slap us with micro transactions. This partnership has been a huge bust in my eyes.

You mean for the Gamers, its been wonderful for Wall St

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom