TSA Candy Snack Check.

Uncle Lupe

Just flew out of Orlando and had to empty all snacks and candy out of our carry ons. They were swabbed and tested. So if doing MNNSHP or using up dining credits for the trip home plan accordingly.

Everone was being body screened.

Last edited:

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
I'm glad you asked! I used to travel frequently for work, and after a couple of mishaps with my checked luggage, I committed to traveling carryon-only, and I've never looked back. Here's how we do it (to summarize, we bring only what we need, with a carefully-curated packing list that we stick to):

1 - Each member of the family has a rolling 21" carryon suitcase for his/her clothes and shoes. (The bags are the traditional style with two wheels, which have far more interior space than 4-wheeled rolling bags). For a trip to Disney World, those suitcases will hold (rolled carefully to reduce wrinkles, and placed into packing cubes) 5 or 6 warm-weather outfits (if our trip is going to be longer than 5-6 days, I simply bring half the clothes we need and schedule a relaxing morning doing laundry by a quiet pool, mid-trip), a swimsuit, PJs, underthings, and a pair of hiking sandals. An eBags pack-it-flat toiletry case with the whole family's toothbramazementekeup and hair things, etc. also goes into the top of my bag. Because the kids' clothes are smaller, their carryons are only about 75% filled after their clothes are packed, so breakfast foodstuffs and miscellaneous items (a laundry bag, rain ponchos, glow sticks) get added to their bags. DH and I each slip our 3-1-1 bags (mine has cosmetics and toiletries, his is chock-full of sunscreen) into an outside pocket of our carryon, for easy access during security screening. Fully loaded, each carryon bag weighs about 20 pounds, so our kids (every since their first Disney trip at ages 4 and 6) have easily been able to pull their own bags.

2 - DH and I also each have a "personal item" for the plane -- a backpack for him and a tote bag for me, one with the strap on the back that allows me to slide it over the handle of my carryon when heading through the airport. My bag contains my park bag (a tiny crossbody purse with my ID, cash, travel documents, phone, 3x5 itinerary cards with confirmation #s, our MagicBands, etc.), a mini First-Aid kit with Band-aids and Tylenol, wet wipes, sunglasses for me and my daughter, my camera and any other electronics, earbuds and chargers (packed into a clear pouch for easy inspection during security screening), and any in-flight snacks for the family. DH's backpack contains his ID/cash, sunglasses for him and my son, his own electronics and accessories, and any extra items the kids may want in-flight. For our first trip, we also had the kids bring backpacks as their personal items, but we found that they just got in the way, and the children only had a book or two, and a pair of earbuds that they wanted during the flight, so we just consolidated them into our own personal items on future trips.

3 - We wear our bulkiest clothing on the plane: long pants, sneakers, a short-sleeved top, a hoodie, and for my husband and the kids, a ballcap. This saves space in the luggage, and is generally appropriate for the weather at home anyway. We usually travel to WDW in fall or spring, and most times we never had to break out the hoodies or jeans again until the flight home, but they're nice to have in case there's a cold snap. If we think we'll want to change into shorts in-flight or as soon as we get to Orlando, we keep an extra pair of shorts in my husband's backpack.

Easy-peasy! :)
First. WOW
Second. Laundry = yuck!

We did pack a lot of clothes "just in case" I've learned to piggy back carryons on checked luggage to move through the airport and still get looks of amazement.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

I can add that the food screening thing isn't just at MCO. While traveling to Barcelona for our transatlantic disney cruise last month, we had to transfer planes in San Jose (due to Alaska not being able to check our bags all the way through to Barcelona--we were flying on Norwegian--we had to exit the secured area, pick up our suitcases and totally recheck them, meaning going through security all over again!!). We had a completely sealed bag of honey roasted macadamia nuts just brought to us from Hawaii that we were bringing onboard to snack on. My tote got held up being screened, no joke, 3 times in the x-ray before being carried over for the swab down. I thought it was the most bizarre thing in the world!!! Especially since 3-hours earlier we had just gone through security at Seatac with no issues! So not sure if they are just rolling it out at select airports as tests before a massive rollout? But super super strange and one more thing to make those lines even more ridiculously long. Time to get my Nexus/PRE :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

First. WOW
Second. Laundry = yuck!
LOL, as to the laundry, it's all relative. I used to hate watching it pile up throughout a vacation, knowing I'd have this big chore to do when I got home. Once I realized I could simply add that task to the mid-week "lazy pool morning" we already scheduled into our vacations -- Disney's laundry facilities are typically next to quiet pools and you can monitor your machine via a website, so there's as little effort involved as possible -- it's actually made my vacation more relaxing, because we arrive home with a small amount of laundry. By the same token, I realize that packing light and breezing through the airport with only the essentials in tow is also "relative" -- while it makes me feel relaxed and free as a bird (it goes back to my business traveling days, when I gradually became George Clooney in "Up In The Air"), it would leave some people stressed out, worried that they'd neglected to bring something.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occasional Guest

We packed our candy from Disney in our Luggage but got stuck in a very long line Friday night (10/13) behind others who had not. They tested all our pre-packaged cookies we had in our carry-ons for explosive residue. The sign said it was a 30 minute wait but we were there for over an hour. My favorite part was having all my stuff ready to scan and the TSA agents went on break and we had to work into another line and wait a few minutes longer.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

How do you fly in only carry ons only?? Our lightest suitcase was 35lbs. :hilarious:

It's pretty easy. I can do 7+ days for business out of a small carry on, packing normal clothes and running stuff. If you want to get crazy there are thinner/lighter clothes made specifically for traveling to pack up smaller and lighter. Make sure that everything matches with multiple choices, IE don't pack a khaki colored shirt if you bring khaki shorts even though it's so cute with jeans. That way you can wear things multiple ways, and don't bother with single use clothes. There are lots of packing videos on youtube showing how to pack to maximize your suitcase, but really paring down what you pack is what makes the bag lighter. We only check now going to WDW because of our DS. Trying to wrangle him, car seat and 3 carry ons is a bit much.

Upvote 0

TheAbidingDude

We packed our candy from Disney in our Luggage but got stuck in a very long line Friday night (10/13) behind others who had not. They tested all our pre-packaged cookies we had in our carry-ons for explosive residue. The sign said it was a 30 minute wait but we were there for over an hour. My favorite part was having all my stuff ready to scan and the TSA agents went on break and we had to work into another line and wait a few minutes longer.
Are they actually opening them and swabbing the cookies?

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

LOL, as to the laundry, it's all relative. I used to hate watching it pile up throughout a vacation, knowing I'd have this big chore to do when I got home. Once I realized I could simply add that task to the mid-week "lazy pool morning" we already scheduled into our vacations -- Disney's laundry facilities are typically next to quiet pools and you can monitor your machine via a website, so there's as little effort involved as possible -- it's actually made my vacation more relaxing, because we arrive home with a small amount of laundry. By the same token, I realize that packing light and breezing through the airport with only the essentials in tow is also "relative" -- while it makes me feel relaxed and free as a bird, it would leave some people stressed out, worried that they'd neglected to bring something.
[/QUOTE]
We travel with carry ons for a three week trip, 4 people. I do laundry half way through, relax and read a book while the guys all run off somewhere (used to be DisneyQuest). It's actually very relaxing. We are a tiny family I guess so our clothes are small, and you probably wouldn't believe how many clothes I can fit into a carry on rolled up. We love breezing through airports - I can't stand the thought of one of my carefully packed luggage pieces getting lost!

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

LOL, as to the laundry, it's all relative. I used to hate watching it pile up throughout a vacation, knowing I'd have this big chore to do when I got home. Once I realized I could simply add that task to the mid-week "lazy pool morning" we already scheduled into our vacations -- Disney's laundry facilities are typically next to quiet pools and you can monitor your machine via a website, so there's as little effort involved as possible -- it's actually made my vacation more relaxing, because we arrive home with a small amount of laundry. By the same token, I realize that packing light and breezing through the airport with only the essentials in tow is also "relative" -- while it makes me feel relaxed and free as a bird, it would leave some people stressed out, worried that they'd neglected to bring something.
[/QUOTE]
You are right for me that would be a nightmare, there are essentials i have to have,like shampoo that you can't have in carry on (me, my daughter and mother all have long, thick hair those hotel bottles would not be enough for even one of us) plus even with 2 suitcases each on Southwest coming home there is barely enough room.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

It's pretty easy. I can do 7+ days for business out of a small carry on, packing normal clothes and running stuff. If you want to get crazy there are thinner/lighter clothes made specifically for traveling to pack up smaller and lighter. Make sure that everything matches with multiple choices, IE don't pack a khaki colored shirt if you bring khaki shorts even though it's so cute with jeans. That way you can wear things multiple ways, and don't bother with single use clothes. There are lots of packing videos on youtube showing how to pack to maximize your suitcase, but really paring down what you pack is what makes the bag lighter. We only check now going to WDW because of our DS. Trying to wrangle him, car seat and 3 carry ons is a bit much.
Okay but what do you do about items yo can't carry on like make up, shampoo, razors ect. ?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Okay but what do you do about items yo can't carry on like make up, shampoo, razors ect. ?

Fairly certain most makeup can fit within the 3-1-1 rule, either as is, or by getting a smaller travel sized version. Shampoo either goes in a small travel sized bottle, or use a solid shampoo bar (similar to a bar of soap). You can pack multiple containers of the same item if you need more, just make sure it fits in your quart baggie. Razors are fine according to the same TSA page I linked earlier. If you use a straight razor you would need to switch it up for the trip.
Disposable Razor
  • Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes
Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Electric Razors

• Carry On Bags: Yes

I really suggest reading through/using that TSA "What Can I Bring?" guide here -> https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring to get a better idea on what might cause issues with TSA and what is really fine to bring.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Fairly certain most makeup can fit within the 3-1-1 rule, either as is, or by getting a smaller travel sized version. Shampoo either goes in a small travel sized bottle, or use a solid shampoo bar (similar to a bar of soap). You can pack multiple containers of the same item if you need more, just make sure it fits in your quart baggie. Razors are fine according to the same TSA page I linked earlier. If you use a straight razor you would need to switch it up for the trip.

I really suggest reading through/using that TSA "What Can I Bring?" guide here -> https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring to get a better idea on what might cause issues with TSA and what is really fine to bring.

Good advice! The more you know ahead of time, the better-prepared you can be. A word of caution to travelers, though: be aware that regardless of how well-informed you are, some things are still in flux, and different airports enforce things differently -- so keep an eye on signage, listen to what employees are instructing in the security areas, and don't get ruffled if you're subjected to a rule you haven't heard of, or that is inconsistent with what you've seen online. I speak from recent experience: DH and I traveled internationally a couple of times in the past two weeks on a multi-leg journey. Our local airport's security officers berated me for placing my Kindle in a bin (even though I was following TSA website instructions), saying I should have left it in my luggage. When I arrived at JFK, I left the Kindle in my bag, it was flagged for extra screening, and I was admonished for leaving it in! My husband was similarly "spoken to" at one airport for putting his coat and shoes in a bin instead of directly on the conveyor, and got the same treatment at the next airport for not putting them in a bin. :) We just did our best to roll with the punches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

I think we are out of luck, my daughter and I both have long thick hair that takes a lot of shampoo, i would need 8 travel sizes a piece and i don't think that will work, and all our make up is allowed except the foundation. Oh well

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

The other thing you could do is get shampoo/conditioner once you're arrive at your destination. When we've traveled to Hawaii, we will buy a bottle for the whole family and then leave it when we're coming home. Granted, I don't buy my expensive salon stuff but I can manage for a couple of weeks :)

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Original Poster
Good advice! The more you know ahead of time, the better-prepared you can be. A word of caution to travelers, though: be aware that regardless of how well-informed you are, some things are still in flux, and different airports enforce things differently -- so keep an eye on signage, listen to what employees are instructing in the security areas, and don't get ruffled if you're subjected to a rule you haven't heard of, or that is inconsistent with what you've seen online. I speak from recent experience: DH and I traveled internationally a couple of times in the past two weeks on a multi-leg journey. Our local airport's security officers berated me for placing my Kindle in a bin (even though I was following TSA website instructions), saying I should have left it in my luggage. When I arrived at JFK, I left the Kindle in my bag, it was flagged for extra screening, and I was admonished for leaving it in! My husband was similarly "spoken to" at one airport for putting his coat and shoes in a bin instead of directly on the conveyor, and got the same treatment at the next airport for not putting them in a bin. :) We just did our best to roll with the punches.
The last thing you want to do is to start an argument with security officials. Unless you want that free behind the scenes tour. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Well not everyone can pack everything into a carry on bag. I was waiting for my connection home in Chicago and there was a flight close by that they were making announcements about how there are over 120 people checked into the flight and only 48 bags were checked in. So they said that a lot of people were going to have to gate check their carry on bag. I looked over and almost everyone had those huge rolling bags that that were not going to fit on the plane. I can understand not wanting to go through the hassle of checking a bag but with all these people carrying on these huge roll on bags, it takes forever to get everyone's bags in the over head bins. On my flight they repeatedly told people to hurry up and get in their seats because we were there forever with people trying to find a space for their bags in the over head bins.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Just a brief rant about overhead bin space. I really wish they would make the overhead bin space bigger for those who sit in the bulkhead seats. We were, unfortunately, one of the last to board, and there was absolutely no overhead bin space and yet DH and I are somehow expected to find space for our large camera bag, bag pack, and tote/purse. Those seats aren't supposed to have anything on the floor for takeoff. The flight was delayed trying to find bin space for all our stuff (which was a real joy trying to deplane...):cautious:

Upvote 0

Maerj

This is why I stopped flying back in 2010. The TSA nonsense is crazy and I choose not to deal with it. I'll drive and avoid getting mistreated just because I want to take a vacation.

Upvote 0

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
All solid foods should be allowed through TSA. You can see a more detailed breakdown here -> https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food Things like Peanut Butter may be confiscated (some consider it a non solid), but a sandwich should be allowed through. Now if a given TSA agent is particularly hungry that day, all bets are off as to if anything will be let through.

Thanks for the very informative link. I found this on the list :)

Live Lobster

• Carry On Bags: Check with Airline
A live lobster is allowed through security and must be transported in a clear, plastic, spill proof container. A TSA officer will visually inspect your lobster at the checkpoint. We recommend that you contact your airline to determine your airline's policy on traveling with your lobster before arriving at the airport.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom