Star Wars Autonomous Droid Testing in Tomorrowland

TP2000

Original Poster
"Jake" the droid that made appearances at Star Wars Launch Bay and D23 Expo has returned to Tomorrowland. This time he is out in the walkways unattended just sort of roaming. Then he gets to meet the precious, precious little snowflake children of Southern California, as seen in this video taken on Friday.

If they try this in Star Wars Land, it will last a week and it will not end well. :rolleyes:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
"Jake" the droid that made appearances at Star Wars Launch Bay and D23 Expo has returned to Tomorrowland. This time he is out in the walkways unattended just sort of roaming. Then he gets to meet the precious, precious little snowflake children of Southern California, as seen in this video taken on Friday.

If they try this in Star Wars Land, it will last a week and it will not end well. :rolleyes:

I'm sure its made to be fairly robust and/or they have a cast member standing by in case there is an issue.

George Lucas on a Bench

Would a legion of younglings assaulting it be considered an issue?

anakin.gif

Driver

There absolutely is an attendant they stay off to the side so it doesn't take away from the attraction. A similar example is at Disney Springs when the piano player is roaming about on a moving platform, if you scan the crowd you can see the attendant with the RC remote controlling the platform. Still cool though!

Phroobar

Those droids are going to get so beat up. I can see a kid trying to ride one like a cat on a robot vacuum. Of course it wouldn't be star wars without them.

TP2000

Original Poster
It's going to be interesting to see how long this lasts after SW:GE opens.

Normally this would last a week or two. But because they are spending so much money on Star Wars Land, I think we can safely say it will last at least a few months. But it's going to be one of those things you should see and do quickly before the lawsuits come flooding in (he nearly ran over little toes several times in that video) and the costs for maintenance and repair goes four times over its budget.

This concept will be like the The Flying Tires or Rocket Rods, only with a faster turnaround on sending it to Yesterland.

But the out of touch Imagineers are happy to spend lots of money on this as long as their expense number is still active. :cool:

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Disney wants to make everything interactive these days, but this is just dumb to me. You can't have expensive machinery rolling around a congested walkway with babies and, worse, Annual Passholders disturbing it. Ideally, the expensive machinery would be viewed from a distance, like they did with the Pixar lamp at MGM Studios before they got sued. More recently, the Muppets in Liberty Square. All bizarre instances of characters in the parks, make no mistake, but the investment was protected because guests couldn't disturb it.

Admittedly, this doesn't appear to be the most advanced thing they've created. Typical of Star Wars or Doctor Who, it's a dustbin on wheels, perhaps crossed with that stupid robot from the Power Rangers.

Phroobar

In reality this is no different from Push or R2-D2 roaming around the park. It will be treated like any other meet and greet.

I can also see these droids wondering around the ride line but just out of reach from guests. It could be worst. A kid might try to take a dump on one like a kid in Shanghai Disneyland.

No Name

Like I said in the other thread, if they put a shiny clean one out there, I guarantee they'll see a difference in behavior. If they put one that talks in our language, I guarantee they'll see a difference. When you have a grimy, trashy-looking droid roaming around, people are more inclined to treat it as such.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom