So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 15: Uniting Universal (Official Hub Thread)

MonorailRed

Applebees
2017-10-04.png

spacemt354

Chili's
Resort Map 2.0
universal%2Bmap2.jpg

(click to zoom)

Some points of notice

UniSEA
- they fit pretty well flipping the two parks. UniSEA -- every single aspect, down to the angle that the park is at, remained exactly the same. Only 'change' is that the Mediterranean Resorts -- travel to the Harbor City Walk, rather than directly into the park. I felt a singlular entrance would be better suited for that park -- because you want the reveal of Hogwarts Castle and there are certain angles for which that would be most pronounced (the entrance being the best of all stepping out of Victorian London) Walking briefly through CityWalk -- allows connection to UniMK -- without any additional stops, compared to previously, when you'd have to stop at UniMK inside the park, in order to travel to CityWalk, then walk to UniSEA...it's much more streamlined now.

UniMK
Since this is the park I have been invested in, among the other resort hotels, I noticed today that I seem to be cramming a lot of stuff into the park just because it seems like a 'good idea' and not based on if I actually know the property well enough to make anything substantial. Jurassic World and Jurassic Park are things I'm highly invested in, as well as The Shining, etc...and in my opinion, the ones I'm most invested in tend to be the best attractions.

With that said, since maze is having second thoughts on cartoon corner, I've decided to cut it -- which leaves one additional land left to keep with our magical 7 lands. I added @DisneyFan18 's Fantastic Beasts off the cuff of Production Plaza, transitioning the New York skyline into the Fantasy NYC skyline (FB) and then into the animated NY skyline (Secret Life of Pets) in Illumination Station.

However -- if you've been following along you'll notice that everything seems to be shifted over a bit -- and that is for the addition of a land I think if done right, could be on the level of a Harry Potter or LotR land - and it's not out of the realm of possibility for Universal to get, considering they got Potter, The Walking Dead, and so many more 'adult' oriented attractions compared to Disney. And that's the world of A Song of Ice and Fire - Game of Thrones.

I already have the concept laid out (originally to replace The Lost Continent in IoA) but I think as a transition from Jurassic World to the World of Game of Thrones, and then into American Mystery -- could be a nice way to round out the back of the park with unique and original IPs that Universal has never done before.

Some concept art
Game%2Bof%2BThrones%2BLand%2BMap.jpg

8330937044807422795%253Faccount_id%253D9

Overall -- other than those adjustments -- I streamlined the roadways so that everything has an easy entrance and exit to the main highways (Highway 323 and Route 32) and the roads throughout Universal are easy to navigate as well (basically one big loop)

There's also space now across the highway if we ever wanted to add a 3rd gate and/or additional hotels (measured out it has room for both if you take a look at the scale of the current 2 parks)

Thoughts and feedback welcome!

D Hulk

Resort Map 2.0
universal%2Bmap2.jpg

(click to zoom)

Some points of notice

UniSEA
- they fit pretty well flipping the two parks. UniSEA -- every single aspect, down to the angle that the park is at, remained exactly the same. Only 'change' is that the Mediterranean Resorts -- travel to the Harbor City Walk, rather than directly into the park. I felt a singlular entrance would be better suited for that park -- because you want the reveal of Hogwarts Castle and there are certain angles for which that would be most pronounced (the entrance being the best of all stepping out of Victorian London) Walking briefly through CityWalk -- allows connection to UniMK -- without any additional stops, compared to previously, when you'd have to stop at UniMK inside the park, in order to travel to CityWalk, then walk to UniSEA...it's much more streamlined now.

UniMK
Since this is the park I have been invested in, among the other resort hotels, I noticed today that I seem to be cramming a lot of stuff into the park just because it seems like a 'good idea' and not based on if I actually know the property well enough to make anything substantial. Jurassic World and Jurassic Park are things I'm highly invested in, as well as The Shining, etc...and in my opinion, the ones I'm most invested in tend to be the best attractions.

With that said, since maze is having second thoughts on cartoon corner, I've decided to cut it -- which leaves one additional land left to keep with our magical 7 lands. I added @DisneyFan18 's Fantastic Beasts off the cuff of Production Plaza, transitioning the New York skyline into the Fantasy NYC skyline (FB) and then into the animated NY skyline (Secret Life of Pets) in Illumination Station.

However -- if you've been following along you'll notice that everything seems to be shifted over a bit -- and that is for the addition of a land I think if done right, could be on the level of a Harry Potter or LotR land - and it's not out of the realm of possibility for Universal to get, considering they got Potter, The Walking Dead, and so many more 'adult' oriented attractions compared to Disney. And that's the world of A Song of Ice and Fire - Game of Thrones.

I already have the concept laid out (originally to replace The Lost Continent in IoA) but I think as a transition from Jurassic World to the World of Game of Thrones, and then into American Mystery -- could be a nice way to round out the back of the park with unique and original IPs that Universal has never done before.

Some concept art

Overall -- other than those adjustments -- I streamlined the roadways so that everything has an easy entrance and exit to the main highways (Highway 323 and Route 32) and the roads throughout Universal are easy to navigate as well (basically one big loop)

There's also space now across the highway if we ever wanted to add a 3rd gate and/or additional hotels (measured out it has room for both if you take a look at the scale of the current 2 parks)

This rejiggering works nicely. Actually, it's good to have UniMK closer to Seuss Landing, keeping our first gate centralized.

UniSEA, my main focus, fits well with the nearby resorts. I agree with the entry effect in Victorian London revealing Hogwarts Castle, one of this park's most important moments. The backstage and storage area to UniSEA's northwest could flip over to the northern roadway, opening up some space near Skull Island either for more park stuff, or allowing the resorts to migrate closer.

Ooh, Westeros! That was one of the ideas for UniSEA's expansion pad, and so is LOTR. If we had both properties, they're placed near each other in separate parks! Nice serendipity.

spacemt354

Chili's
This rejiggering works nicely. Actually, it's good to have UniMK closer to Seuss Landing, keeping our first gate centralized.

UniSEA, my main focus, fits well with the nearby resorts. I agree with the entry effect in Victorian London revealing Hogwarts Castle, one of this park's most important moments. The backstage and storage area to UniSEA's northwest could flip over to the northern roadway, opening up some space near Skull Island either for more park stuff, or allowing the resorts to migrate closer.

Ooh, Westeros! That was one of the ideas for UniSEA's expansion pad, and so is LOTR. If we had both properties, they're placed near each other in separate parks! Nice serendipity.
Yeah we can move around the back stage areas on the far left -- (I didn't know if you had any nighttime events or parades so I figured it's be good to have some sort of access to that park, but it can easily be moved up more north and to the right.

Also yes! I think it'd be a great combination of LotR and GoT paralleling each other between the parks!

In regards to Sci-Fi -- I actually think we can squeeze Jurassic World into that category -- unless of course there are dinosaurs in Central America that I am unaware of!:p Pacific Rim would probably fall into that category as well.

As for Musicals -- Sing? While in England which contrasts 'american' mystery -- ...Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street

DisneyFan18

fantastic-beasts.jpg

Overview

Type of ride: Trackless Dark Ride
Ride Vehicle: A 1920's car without hood
Vehicle Capacity: Each vehicle hosts 2 adults and 1 child
Interactive Elements: Your ride vehicle will be equipped with wands to help Newt spot the magical creatures, some might react to the light. The wands will respond to certain spells (like Lumos) by changing the light intensity/color.
Duration: 5-6 min

Queue
Magical-Congress-in-the-U.S.jpg

As you enter the MACUSA building, the queue will take you through the upper level (as seen above) of the building, then you'll walk downstairs, where you will walk through Tina's Office, until you reach a hidden door that will take you the Pre-Show. After leaving the Pre-Show, you'll walk through an alley until you reach a New York facade.

Pre-Show
fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them-header-image.jpg

The Pre-Show will take to an alley outside of the MACUSA building, there Tina and Newt will inform you that some of Newt's magical creatures escaped from his suitcase. And now the need your help to find them, since they are all over New York. Afterwards, they proceed to explain to you how the wands work. Then you'll return to the queue.

Attraction Layout

Captura de pantalla 2017-10-04 a la(s) 23.20.37.png

Ride Experience
landscape-1490356652-fantastic-beasts-montage.jpg

The ride will take through 8 different scenes where you'll be faced by a variety of fantastical beasts. In the Scene 1, you'll be riding through the streets of New York, where you'll meet a Niffler, a Pukwudgie, and a Mooncalf. The Scene 2, will take you to a beautiful lake, where a community of Merpeople is waiting for you, along with a few grindylows; if you look closely to the trees surrounding the lake, you'll be able to spot a few Clabberts. During the Scene 3, you'll be transported to a Zoo, there an Erumpent is breaking havoc, try to not direct the light to his eyes, or else he might try to follow you, and if you're determined enough you'll be able to spot a group of Bowtruckles. The Scene 4 will take you back to the streets of New York, and it is infested with Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, make sure they don't touch you! In order to take shelter from the Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, you'll enter a Departament Store (Scene 5 & 6), where you meet a cute but hard to spot Demiguise, who will lead you to a magnificent Occamy. Then at the Scene 7, you'll return to the streets of New York, there you'll be lucky to admire some beautiful Fwoppers, a Diricawl and the uncomparable Thunderbird. The Scene 8, will be the most thrilling of them all, as you'll be facing an Obscurus, the most dangerous creature of them all, don't let it reach you. Once the ride ends, you'll unload at a Subway Station, and some stairs will guide you outside of the building.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is my first time developing a ride concept, so I hope you like it :)
I want to thank @D Hindley for the idea of using wands instead of lamps :)

Last edited:

D Hulk

Yeah we can move around the back stage areas on the far left -- (I didn't know if you had any nighttime events or parades so I figured it's be good to have some sort of access to that park, but it can easily be moved up more north and to the right.

Also yes! I think it'd be a great combination of LotR and GoT paralleling each other between the parks!

In regards to Sci-Fi -- I actually think we can squeeze Jurassic World into that category -- unless of course there are dinosaurs in Central America that I am unaware of!:p Pacific Rim would probably fall into that category as well.

As for Musicals -- Sing? While in England which contrasts 'american' mystery -- ...Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
I've been considering a lagoon show which uses the walls of Hogwarts. Something maybe like WOC with projections and fireworks/pyrotechnics, not many live performers. I'm concerned with how a night show would play for hotel guests, and if projections on the castle walls (which USH does, dunno about IOA) would bother them at all.

Sci-Fi also has Wells Laboratories. London has that theater venue for Les Mis and other musicals. There's a ton of London musicals to reference - Sweeney Todd, My Fair Lady, Oliver, plenty of Disney stuff (wait...).

spacemt354

Chili's
fantastic-beasts.jpg

Overview

Interactive Elements: Your ride vehicle will be equipped with lamps to help Newt spot the magical creatures, some might react to the light.

Queue

As you enter the MACUSA building, the queue will take you through the upper level (as seen above) of the building, then you'll walk downstairs, where you will walk through Tina's Office, until you reach a hidden door that will take you the Pre-Show. After leaving the Pre-Show, you'll walk through an alley until you reach a New York facade.

Pre-Show

The Pre-Show will take to an alley outside of the MACUSA building, there Tina and Newt will inform you that some of Newt's magical creatures escaped from his suitcase. And now the need your help to find them, since they are all over New York. Afterwards, they proceed to explain to you how the lamps work. Then you'll return to the queue.

Attraction Layout

View attachment 235929
Ride Experience

The ride will take through 8 different scenes where you'll be faced by a variety of fantastical beasts. In the Scene 1, you'll be riding through the streets of New York, where you'll meet a Niffler, a Pukwudgie, and a Wampus. The Scene 2, will take you to a beautiful lake, a Horned Serpent is waiting for you. During the Scene 3, you'll be transported to a Zoo, there an Erumpent is breaking havoc, try to not direct the light to his eyes, or else he might try to follow you, and if you're determined enough you'll be able to spot a group of Bowtruckles. The Scene 4 will take you back to the streets of New York, and it is infested with Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, make sure they don't touch you! In order to take shelter from the Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, you'll enter a Departament Store (Scene 5 & 6), where you meet a cute but hard to spot Demiguise, who will lead you to a magnificent Occamy. Then at the Scene 7, you'll return to the streets of New York, there you'll be lucky to admire some beautiful Fwoppers, a Diricawl and the uncomparable Thunderbird. The Scene 8, will be the most thrilling of them all, as you'll be facing an Obscurus, it is the most dangerous creature of them all, don't let it reach you. Once the ride ends, you'll unload at a Subway Station, and some stairs will guide you outside of the building.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great work! Really appreciate the map and the work put into this - sounds like a neat attraction!

spacemt354

Chili's
Quick question for everyone

Since I have all of the content so far organized in order on a personal drive -- I was wondering if in contrast to Sydney Disneyland, we wanted the content to be on a website rather than a large forum post.

This would alleviate the red X that has been plaguing some pics - as well as not slow down your computer when a ton of pics load as it sometimes can overwhelm the thread.
-----------
This is an example of a website I did for this type of project last year.
http://spacemt354.wixsite.com/wdw1966

spacemt354

Chili's
Thanks I really appreciate that, I worked non stop on this for around 4-5 hours, I wanted to make the best possible attraction. It was really fun to do it! Thanks for giving the opportunity to participate in this magnificent project :)
Glad you had fun! And if this is the quality you can produce you're more than welcome to contribute more if something peaks your interest:geek:

DisneyFan18

Since I have all of the content so far organized in order on a personal drive -- I was wondering if in contrast to Sydney Disneyland, we wanted the content to be on a website rather than a large forum post.

This would alleviate the red X that has been plaguing some pics - as well as not slow down your computer when a ton of pics load as it sometimes can overwhelm the thread.
-----------
It sounds like a great idea to use a website (the previous one is awesome), since, as you said, it makes it easier to navigate and wouldn’t slow down the devices. :)

D Hulk

fantastic-beasts.jpg

Overview

Interactive Elements: Your ride vehicle will be equipped with lamps to help Newt spot the magical creatures, some might react to the light.

Queue

Pre-Show

The Pre-Show will take to an alley outside of the MACUSA building, there Tina and Newt will inform you that some of Newt's magical creatures escaped from his suitcase. And now the need your help to find them, since they are all over New York. Afterwards, they proceed to explain to you how the lamps work. Then you'll return to the queue.

Attraction Layout

View attachment 235929
Ride Experience

The ride will take through 8 different scenes where you'll be faced by a variety of fantastical beasts. In the Scene 1, you'll be riding through the streets of New York, where you'll meet a Niffler, a Pukwudgie, and a Wampus. The Scene 2, will take you to a beautiful lake, a Horned Serpent is waiting for you. During the Scene 3, you'll be transported to a Zoo, there an Erumpent is breaking havoc, try to not direct the light to his eyes, or else he might try to follow you, and if you're determined enough you'll be able to spot a group of Bowtruckles. The Scene 4 will take you back to the streets of New York, and it is infested with Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, make sure they don't touch you! In order to take shelter from the Sweeping Evils and Billywigs, you'll enter a Departament Store (Scene 5 & 6), where you meet a cute but hard to spot Demiguise, who will lead you to a magnificent Occamy. Then at the Scene 7, you'll return to the streets of New York, there you'll be lucky to admire some beautiful Fwoppers, a Diricawl and the uncomparable Thunderbird. The Scene 8, will be the most thrilling of them all, as you'll be facing an Obscurus, it is the most dangerous creature of them all, don't let it reach you. Once the ride ends, you'll unload at a Subway Station, and some stairs will guide you outside of the building.

Great work. Love the interactivity especially, it feels a lot like Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek. Could we go further with that and do wand interactivity on the ride? (Could be dangerous, waving loose sticks around.)

Like your land details from before too. This'll be an excellent new Potter land. Will be watching Fantastic Beasts later, and from what I know of it I think you've gotten all the little elements right.

-----------
Yeah, do a website!

spacemt354

Chili's
It sounds like a great idea to use a website (the previous one is awesome), since, as you said, it makes it easier to navigate and wouldn’t slow down the devices. :)
Great work. Love the interactivity especially, it feels a lot like Monsters Inc Ride & Go Seek. Could we go further with that and do wand interactivity on the ride? (Could be dangerous, waving loose sticks around.)

Like your land details from before too. This'll be an excellent new Potter land. Will be watching Fantastic Beasts later, and from what I know of it I think you've gotten all the little elements right.

Yeah, do a website!
Website it is!:bookworm: (I agree too)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Resort Map 2.0
universal%2Bmap2.jpg

(click to zoom)

Some points of notice

UniSEA

UniMK

Some concept art

tumblr_lgipnfF5Dn1qdpaq2o1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom