Beach Club or AKL?

LP1

Original Poster
Hi
We are planning a trip from the UK for April 2018 with grandparents and toddler who will be almost 3 by then. We will be doing dining plan and probably renting a car. We are trying to decide between BC and AKL. Both sound wonderful, I love the location of BC in terms of access to boardwalk, Epcot, HS etc but AKL sounds amazing with the savannah and the dining ( I keep reading about her bread service at Sanaa!). AK was also my daughters favourite park and she is lion king obsessed at the moment! I'm guessing that travel to the parks might be longer from AKL as its further out so that's possibly the only downside... would love to hear of any advise or thoughts on which one people would go for.
Thanks in advance

nickys

Premium Member
I love both resorts, so this would be a tough one for me.

However, with a toddler I think the ability to be able to walk back from 2 parks would be a huge advantage. Either for a nap or just if things began to overwhelm her (it can happen ;)). The boats to and from DHS would be fun too, and if she does fall asleep in a stroller you could walk around Crescent Lake and look at the Boardwalk area.

Stormalong Bay would be an amazing at that age, lots of sand to play in and easy enough with just one toddler to keep an eye on her. It would be different if you had more than 1 little one to watch.

You can still visit AKL. In fact you could book a meal at Sanaa and be able to see the animals from your table or the outlook which is right outside. Sanaa is at Kidani but you could also have a look around AKL too (it's a10 minute walk). Save it for staying in when she's a little older.

Bartledvd

Me and my wife stayed beach club 2016 11 days and AKL 2017 14 days would never stay BC again just did not like it only thing we enjoyed was the location room at BC was a pool view studio villa and was just boring in fact that was the issue with the hotel just no disney theme it could have been a hotel any where in the world, AKL we fell in love with and it felt like a special place to us all the staff super friendly and love to chat only thing for me was the food just nothing i was desperate to have again except zebra domes but thankfully plenty of restruants nearby.
Do your research many people love BC and AKL watch and read as many reviews as you can look for what people love and hate about each

Dave B

I don't even think they are in the same category( I know they are both deluxe) The Beach and Yacht Club is such a special place, great access to two parks and monorail access to MK if you want as well. We went to the AK lodge last year and felt like is was very bland and boring, very spread out, not many animals for what is quoted, thee food is nothing special, the pool is pretty good, but nothing in comparison to the Beach and Yacht Club, cant beat seeing fireworks from two different parks at night from the resort as well

Dave B

Just a short walk thru Epcot( grab a snack or adult beverage on your way) and hop right on and it takes you to MK

Bartledvd

Walking through Epcot requires use of a park ticket (and going through security...), which would be a problem without a hopper. I don't consider that having Monorail access. Now, if there was a walkway outside of Epcot to the Epcot monorail station, that might be enough to say the resort has Monorail access close by.
I would agree its way easier and quicker to use bus and when i tried to use said method i found out i had to change monorails at the TTC wasted more time

Dave B

But that's not even an option at AK Lodge, that is what I was trying to point out, and you are right you need a Park Hopper, I have never been without one, so I guess I just assume people get them

correcaminos

Two totally different resorts. The walking access to Epcot and DHS is nice. We do like AKL just as much if not more though. We think the dining and pools at AKL are better. The activities at AKL are super as well.

Pick whichever appeals in theme appeals miss and I bet you'll be happy. Both are great places.

Dave B

Not trying to be a jerk or come across that way, but how can you say that the AKL pool is anywhere in the same ballpark as Yacht and Beach Club, they are not even in the same universe

correcaminos

Not trying to be a jerk or come across that way, but how can you say that the AKL pool is anywhere in the same ballpark as Yacht and Beach Club, they are not even in the same universe
Very very easily. I've stayed at BCV many times and more often than not I prefer the quiet pool. It's called an opinion and I have valid reasons why.

The actual pool area is too small for the amount of people in it.
The chairs are crammed together so tight it's hard to get on them. If you can find them at all. Lack of covered seating to is big.
The pool is so spread out you cannot find people easily.
The slide entrance is outside of the pool area so you are utterly exposed to people out in public as you get to it. Plus the slide isn't great.
The lazy river is too small to be useful and is too deep and slow so you constantly run into people.
The service from the bar area is pathetic.
The sand on the bottom gets everywhere and bugs me.

Are those enough reasons? Not everyone has to like it, but honestly Kidani's pool is far better in many ways to us and I'll stand by that any day. I think SAB is way too over hyped for what it is.

Bartledvd

I have the same issues with BC pool me and my wife tried it and left after an hour used the quiet pool the rest of the time im not even sure why the very short lazy river has a deep end of 9 or 10 ft but for me main reason is sand i hate it . Really wish AKL had quiet pool as thats the only reason i have not to stay there with my children and thats why we stay OKW when we have the kids with us quiet pool near our room almost always empty love it

Dave B

Wasn't trying to argue that you, just saying hat you cant compare the two pools, its like apples and oranges, I definitely respect your opinion, now if you want to compare the quiet pools to one another I think you have a valid point, or pool bars, etc

correcaminos

Wasn't trying to argue that you, just saying hat you cant compare the two pools, its like apples and oranges, I definitely respect your opinion, now if you want to compare the quiet pools to one another I think you have a valid point, or pool bars, etc
You think you cannot compare them and that is your opinion. It is not a fact. They are not worlds apart really. Well they are but we find Samawati Springs to be superior in every way.

By saying you cannot compare you are essentially saying my opinions are not valid. You love SAB, I don't. Both are very valid and very real opinions. I know Disney claims it's a mini water park, but it's not even close.

The more time I spend the the more I've come to really dislike that pool. My city public pool puts SAB to shame. They did everything right with slides, a lazy river, zero entry, splash area, size and layout. If SAB were close to what we had at home I would like it. It misses in so many ways sadly.

slappy magoo

The Beach and Yacht Club is such a special place, great access to two parks and monorail access to MK if you want as well.

Just a short walk thru Epcot( grab a snack or adult beverage on your way) and hop right on and it takes you to MK

According to google maps, it's 1.4 miles walking through Epcot. I'm 47. I know I can do it. I know my kids could do it but they'd be done for the day; we'd have to use a stroller. My wife could do the walk but as she comes from pale pasty Scottish stock, if it's even a slightly hot or humid day (heat and humidity? IN FLORIDA?) by the time we got to the monorail she'd be a beet-red human puddle. My mom, almost 80, could not handle the walk, period.

I don't know the energy level of the OP's grandparents - maybe they're very fit and would enjoy a nice walk first thing in the morning, maybe they have scooters and the walk is moot. But if you're planning on going from BC to MK in the morning, it would have to be a morning epcot's open early enough (or you leave later in the morning). If you're planning to return that way, bear in mind, you're talking about a half hour walk AFTER all the walking you've done during the day, and for people who are very young, very old or not necessarily that fit, a 1.4 mile walk on top of all the prior walking might be too much.

As for hopping on, again, it's not like the monorail is waiting for you and refusing to leave until you arrive. Depending on time of day, there could be a line, or you might miss one and have to wait for the next one.

If you're staying at BC I'd only recommend monorail to/from MK on a park-hopping day - walk to Epcot, spend morning there, monorail to MK for afternoon/evening, then bus back. Or bus to MK, spend morning there, monorail to Epcot for afternoon/evening, walk back to Epcot.

I'll chalk up the comments about the VAK being bland & boring with "nothing special" food as a different strokes for different folks kinda thing. I do agree that the resort is quite huge and spread out, but it's also lovely and a great resort to explore and savor. Stormalong Bay is a superior pool, and between BC and YC there are 3 more quiet pools, but Animal Kingdom has two very nice big pools as well as an amazing kids' water-play area any kid will love (I'd also add Stormalong Bay might be a better pool for a different trip when the OP's child is older; at "almost 3" the pool might be too huge and spread out, and the slide might be more terrifying than inviting). Since the OP mentions probably renting a car, I'd recommend, if the Animal Kingdom is the choice, using the car to get to all parks except MAYBE MK, depending on how much the kid likes riding the monorail. If it's BC, you still might want to use it to get to/from AK

Also, to the OP - were you thinking about trying to book a single room for the 5 of you? Or a 1BR Villa? Reason being - the 1 BR Villas in the Kidani Village have a second bathroom, and if you're a party of 5, that might come in incredibly handy. And at Animal Kingdom, you will have a much better chance of getting such a room because it's so much bigger.

Both resorts have amazing pros - BC might have more pros especially when it comes to location, not just to the parks but to 4 other resorts with their dining options, to say nothing of the dining options at World Showcase at your "back door." But VAK is awesome, a truly unique resort if you intend to spend some time actually enjoying the resort, and if you do need that second bathroom, no contest.

I would not recommend you consider "monorail access to MK" as a plus for BC, unless you think your party has the stamina to include a nearly 1.5 mile walk on top of the walking regimen a WDW trip requires in the first place.

Hockey89

Walking through Epcot requires use of a park ticket (and going through security...), which would be a problem without a hopper. I don't consider that having Monorail access. Now, if there was a walkway outside of Epcot to the Epcot monorail station, that might be enough to say the resort has Monorail access close by.
Yeah, I love BC bc you can walk to two parks and yes I always go to epcot through the short security line and jump on monorail.... Works so easy.... AK doesn't have any of these options...

LP1

Original Poster
Thank you all for your helpful comments and suggestions, it's given me lots to think about. I'd say at the moment we are swaying towards AKL as I think having the car hire would help with some of the transport side of things and whilst I personally would lean towards the BC location, my dad would prefer a less busy area I think. When we stayed earlier in the year (without grandparents) we were at POFQ which didn't have much in the way of dining options but we found we would mostly have our meals whilst "out" so were happy just having QS in the evenings, so the wonderful choices for dining in the BC area would probably be wasted on us.

I'd still be VERY happy to stay at either but think your comments will be really helpful to feed back to my parents.

LP1

Original Poster
According to google maps, it's 1.4 miles walking through Epcot. I'm 47. I know I can do it. I know my kids could do it but they'd be done for the day; we'd have to use a stroller. My wife could do the walk but as she comes from pale pasty Scottish stock, if it's even a slightly hot or humid day (heat and humidity? IN FLORIDA?) by the time we got to the monorail she'd be a beet-red human puddle. My mom, almost 80, could not handle the walk, period.

I don't know the energy level of the OP's grandparents - maybe they're very fit and would enjoy a nice walk first thing in the morning, maybe they have scooters and the walk is moot. But if you're planning on going from BC to MK in the morning, it would have to be a morning epcot's open early enough (or you leave later in the morning). If you're planning to return that way, bear in mind, you're talking about a half hour walk AFTER all the walking you've done during the day, and for people who are very young, very old or not necessarily that fit, a 1.4 mile walk on top of all the prior walking might be too much.

As for hopping on, again, it's not like the monorail is waiting for you and refusing to leave until you arrive. Depending on time of day, there could be a line, or you might miss one and have to wait for the next one.

If you're staying at BC I'd only recommend monorail to/from MK on a park-hopping day - walk to Epcot, spend morning there, monorail to MK for afternoon/evening, then bus back. Or bus to MK, spend morning there, monorail to Epcot for afternoon/evening, walk back to Epcot.

I'll chalk up the comments about the VAK being bland & boring with "nothing special" food as a different strokes for different folks kinda thing. I do agree that the resort is quite huge and spread out, but it's also lovely and a great resort to explore and savor. Stormalong Bay is a superior pool, and between BC and YC there are 3 more quiet pools, but Animal Kingdom has two very nice big pools as well as an amazing kids' water-play area any kid will love (I'd also add Stormalong Bay might be a better pool for a different trip when the OP's child is older; at "almost 3" the pool might be too huge and spread out, and the slide might be more terrifying than inviting). Since the OP mentions probably renting a car, I'd recommend, if the Animal Kingdom is the choice, using the car to get to all parks except MAYBE MK, depending on how much the kid likes riding the monorail. If it's BC, you still might want to use it to get to/from AK

Also, to the OP - were you thinking about trying to book a single room for the 5 of you? Or a 1BR Villa? Reason being - the 1 BR Villas in the Kidani Village have a second bathroom, and if you're a party of 5, that might come in incredibly handy. And at Animal Kingdom, you will have a much better chance of getting such a room because it's so much bigger.

Both resorts have amazing pros - BC might have more pros especially when it comes to location, not just to the parks but to 4 other resorts with their dining options, to say nothing of the dining options at World Showcase at your "back door." But VAK is awesome, a truly unique resort if you intend to spend some time actually enjoying the resort, and if you do need that second bathroom, no contest.

I would not recommend you consider "monorail access to MK" as a plus for BC, unless you think your party has the stamina to include a nearly 1.5 mile walk on top of the walking regimen a WDW trip requires in the first place.

The second bathroom could be the deciding point for us! Thanks for highlighting.

slappy magoo

The second bathroom could be the deciding point for us! Thanks for highlighting.
My pleasure but if the 2nd bathroom is a deciding factor keep in mind that the Villas at Animal Kingdom are so big it's broken up into 2 sections, Jambo House and Kidani Village. I think (not 100% sure) that only the villas at Kidani Village have that second bathroom. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if Jambo House 1BR Villas also have 2Bathrooms or if they only have 1. If it turns out to be the latter than when you book, make sure you specify Kidani Village.

nickys

Premium Member
My pleasure but if the 2nd bathroom is a deciding factor keep in mind that the Villas at Animal Kingdom are so big it's broken up into 2 sections, Jambo House and Kidani Village. I think (not 100% sure) that only the villas at Kidani Village have that second bathroom. Hopefully someone else will be able to confirm if Jambo House 1BR Villas also have 2Bathrooms or if they only have 1. If it turns out to be the latter than when you book, make sure you specify Kidani Village.

Yep, only Kidani have the extra bathroom. 2 in the 1 bed and 3 in the 2 bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom