WDW to Build New North Entrance to Property

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can you explain what we're looking at here? Is this the entrance re-design? It doesn't look like it.

This is a new road that will run from Floridian way near where the fire station is all the way to Reams Road. They will also be reconfiguring the intersection of Maple Rd and Floridian way. The road will be four lanes, two in each direction.

Next Big Thing

This is a new road that will run from Floridian way near where the fire station is all the way to Reams Road. They will also be reconfiguring the intersection of Maple Rd and Floridian way. The road will be four lanes, two in each direction.
The Center Drive entrance will for the most part be only for cast to enter the parking lot also. They are in the process of adding a right turn lane to ease congestion on Reams.

They plan on paving over the road (to a certain point) and sidewalks where Center Drive currently is to connect the Disney University parking lot and MK lot to create an absolutely massive lot.

wogwog

New entrance opened this morning 8/26 at Reams and Floridian Way. Traffic signals, right and left turn lanes, cross walks and pedestrian signals button activated.. The Center Drive entrance on Reams is to cast parking only.

Should really help the traffic flow on Reams.

mikeh

New entrance opened this morning 8/26 at Reams and Floridian Way. Traffic signals, right and left turn lanes, cross walks and pedestrian signals button activated.. The Center Drive entrance on Reams is to cast parking only.

Should really help the traffic flow on Reams.

Excellent! I should be using it tomorrow

wogwog

Cast notice:

A major milestone has been reached in the transformation of the North Service Area – the opening of Floridian Place. Moving forward, this new road will be the way most Cast Members in this area connect to Reams Road from Center Drive.

Ongoing roadwork

As improvements in the area continue, a section of Center Drive between the Disney University and Magic Kingdom Red parking lots will close, and cars will no longer be able to drive straight through to Reams Road.

Drivers cannot make a left turn from Center Drive onto Reams Road; nor can they turn left from Reams Road onto Center Drive to get to the Disney University and Magic Kingdom Parking lots. Drivers wanting to travel westbound on Reams Road must use the traffic signal at Floridian Place.

As a reminder, those exiting the Magic Kingdom Red parking lot directly onto Reams Road now can only turn right. Drivers wanting to travel westbound on Reams Road will be directed to use Floridian Place instead.

WDW_HL_NSAupdateFP_082616_img2.jpg

Safety update

The new crosswalk signal near the Westclock bus loop is now operational. Pedestrians should follow signage and push the button so drivers can stop, before safely stepping into the walkway to cross.

Law enforcement will continue to be stationed in this area to assist with traffic flow.

Please be patient and add extra time when driving through areas under construction. As always, slow down and watch for signage and personnel working.

Your safe driving is appreciated while roadwork improvements in the area are made.

Daveeeeed

Although this thread has been inactive for a bit now, I was wondering if anyone knows what the current progress with this is.

mm121

Although this thread has been inactive for a bit now, I was wondering if anyone knows what the current progress with this is.

The intersection at the very north has been moved

The reconfiguration of world Drive by the parking plaza has begun

The new entrance road cant be built until the world drive project is done, otherwise you'd be directing a bunch of traffic onto property with no where for it to go.

disney4life2008

Cast notice:

A major milestone has been reached in the transformation of the North Service Area – the opening of Floridian Place. Moving forward, this new road will be the way most Cast Members in this area connect to Reams Road from Center Drive.

Ongoing roadwork

As improvements in the area continue, a section of Center Drive between the Disney University and Magic Kingdom Red parking lots will close, and cars will no longer be able to drive straight through to Reams Road.

Drivers cannot make a left turn from Center Drive onto Reams Road; nor can they turn left from Reams Road onto Center Drive to get to the Disney University and Magic Kingdom Parking lots. Drivers wanting to travel westbound on Reams Road must use the traffic signal at Floridian Place.

As a reminder, those exiting the Magic Kingdom Red parking lot directly onto Reams Road now can only turn right. Drivers wanting to travel westbound on Reams Road will be directed to use Floridian Place instead.

WDW_HL_NSAupdateFP_082616_img2.jpg

Safety update

The new crosswalk signal near the Westclock bus loop is now operational. Pedestrians should follow signage and push the button so drivers can stop, before safely stepping into the walkway to cross.

Law enforcement will continue to be stationed in this area to assist with traffic flow.

Please be patient and add extra time when driving through areas under construction. As always, slow down and watch for signage and personnel working.

Your safe driving is appreciated while roadwork improvements in the area are made.

What is Disney University?

LL2WDW

Update 8/5/17...

Drove through this area today, and land clearing is currently underway to connect the new roadway from the recently completed Reams Rd/Floridian Pl intersection (next to cast parking) to the new intersection by the fire station. Huge land clearing, actually; I was quite surprised to see all the action that was taking place.

mm121

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, and I think I've posted similar photos elsewhere. It looks like Disney is adding a new entrance to the Magic Kingdom North West of the park. Here are some photos of the cleared area as well as a photo of a logical road. Has this been announced anywhere?View attachment 220868
View attachment 220869
View attachment 220871
View attachment 220870

nice to see this beginning, if they do this part then they just have the middle section to finish once the mk entrance is reworked

COProgressFan

Hooray! No more road closures during MK's regular fireworks.

I agree, it's not glamorous but clearly an infrastructure project that is desperately needed. This will make things immensely easier for guests and cast members going on and off property from the north, where there has been massive development in the last 10 or 15 years. No longer will drivers need to go through the narrow, crosswalk/pedestrian heavy section of World Drive behind the MK to get to Reams Rd. (and ultimately 535, Windermere, Winter Garden, etc.) And being able to actually drive through during fireworks will be a bonus!

mm121

I agree, it's not glamorous but clearly an infrastructure project that is desperately needed. This will make things immensely easier for guests and cast members going on and off property from the north, where there has been massive development in the last 10 or 15 years. No longer will drivers need to go through the narrow, crosswalk/pedestrian heavy section of World Drive behind the MK to get to Reams Rd. (and ultimately 535, Windermere, Winter Garden, etc.) And being able to actually drive through during fireworks will be a bonus!
dunno what took them so long

seems like having the public drive back stage is not only bad show, but also a security risk

i wonder if they block the roads to make it not possible for people to go the way they go now? like it use to be years and years ago

COProgressFan

dunno what took them so long

seems like having the public drive back stage is not only bad show, but also a security risk

i wonder if they block the roads to make it not possible for people to go the way they go now? like it use to be years and years ago

With the sheer volume of people that come and go through that entrance to property, I don't see how it would really be feasible to do so anymore. Besides guests passing through to get to other destinations (a gray area in terms of access), there are plenty of people who have a legitimate reason to be back there (vendors, contractors, other people going to DU, etc.) that wouldn't necessarily have a company ID.

mm121

With the sheer volume of people that come and go through that entrance to property, I don't see how it would really be feasible to do so anymore. Besides guests passing through to get to other destinations (a gray area in terms of access), there are plenty of people who have a legitimate reason to be back there (vendors, contractors, other people going to DU, etc.) that wouldn't necessarily have a company ID.

thats true, though I'm sure with some planning to could be designed to "discourage" the behavior with the right signage and if they made the new road go over the backstage road that goes over to the fireworks storage rather than intersect it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom