Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bclane

I am usually accused of being a mega pixie duster. Lol.

I love thrill rides, so I'm not complaining about a thrill. I'm definitely shocked by the decision to make that kind of height requirement, instead of a unique, but just as thrilling of a ride, with different restraints. The entire concept of MK/Disneyland was opposite of those kind of limitations.. and they've both adhered to that mission since inception. Now they will share a very common ground with any amusement park visit.. including IoA.. I've never thought the 2 were comparable before.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not exactly complaining, more stunned than anything.

I definitely think it will be a fun ride.
It does feel like a new direction for MK. I'm super excited about the Tron rollercoaster but I do wish they would also add a family dark ride to go along with it (that shares the same building). That way the smaller kids could also get to enjoy Tron now and have something to look forward to as they grow up. The funny thing is, as time passes and the little kiddos get bigger thy would then have the nostalgia of the Tron family dark ride to bring their own kids on when they have them. I like that Pandora gave us both and I think this should be the model going forward with all new areas.

WDWFREAK53

Herbie will never happen. Other than a number with a circle around it, I can't think of a single distinctive image from Herbie that I would use for theming.

I'm not saying that it will happen. It most likely won't. It's a VW bug that won a race after it was ripped in half, can do wheelies, spits out oil, and was in a bullfight. Not to mention it's a character that immediately evokes a smile.. You put Herbie next to a Sugar Rush racer and see which one is more recognizable. That being said, Sugar Rush makes for a better attraction.

Daveeeeed

It does feel like a new direction for MK. I'm super excited about the Tron rollercoaster but I do wish they would also add a family dark ride to go along with it (that shares the same building). That way the smaller kids could also get to enjoy Tron now and have something to look forward to as they grow up. The funny thing is, as time passes and the little kiddos get bigger thy would then have the nostalgia of the Tron family dark ride to bring their own kids on when they have them. I like that Pandora gave us both and I think this should be the model going forward with all new areas.
That's what the redone Speedway will do...

WDWFREAK53

I really like the idea of two Tron attractions as mentioned above. The coaster will be nice (although, by watching the videos I'm less than impressed...it's really short, the outdoor portion really screws up the storyline of being in The Grid, and aside from the trains themselves and the flashy lights, it seems like a boring coaster.). A nice family dark ride showing off the Grid and maybe going into the coaster area so you can see the lightcycles zooming by would really knock it out of the park (no pun intended).

Last edited by a moderator:

Incomudro

I have been of the mindset that every park could use one more thrill ride.
I don't necessarily mean heavy duty thrill ride, but rather - big kid, the kind WDW is in danger of losing out Uni due to aging out thrill rides.
I really didn't think it would happen, but it essentially is.
AK just got FoP
MK is getting Tron (Didn't think MK would get anything of the sort.)
HS is getting Battle Front and the Falcon
Epcot's getting GotD

Castle Cake Apologist

Guys, please take height discussion to a new thread if you want to. This is not the purpose of this one. Thanks.

One more reminder - please stay on topic. Thank you.

I mean this with respect, of course... but aren't they on topic? The thread is about Tron replacing the speedway and people are discussing what height requirement Tron will have and the merits of replacing an attraction that people of all heights can experience versus one with a height restriction. I'm just confused, because it seems like people are actually on topic for once lol.

I'm not honestly even part of the height requirement conversation, but I couldn't figure out how the people that were having the discussion were off topic.

rd805

I have been of the mindset that every park could use one more thrill ride.
I don't necessarily mean heavy duty thrill ride, but rather - big kid, the kind WDW is in danger of losing out Uni due to aging out thrill rides.
I really didn't think it would happen, but it essentially is.
AK just got FoP
MK is getting Tron (Didn't think MK would get anything of the sort.)
HS is getting Battle Front and the Falcon
Epcot's getting GotD

I agree COMPLETELY. Disney is totally playing catch up towards this clientele.

Incomudro

I agree COMPLETELY. Disney is totally playing catch up towards this clientele.

I believe it's largely imaginary that Uni has more "big kid" stuff, but it is certainly the perception and part of Uni's marketing strategy that it does.
In any event, the addition of the Tron coaster along with Star Wars, Pandora, and the much needed work at Epcot are all a step in the right direction.

Jeff456

If the option to upgrade the speedway and install the Tron Coaster is still there I hope that's what they go with. Although I for some reason actually enjoy the speedway currently (probably nostalgia for the most part!) and am not a massive fan of IPs in the parks the Tron Coaster still looks amazing and I hope they do build it.

chiefs11

Regarding the Tron ride and the outside portion: I don't understand why they didn't design it the other way around, with the outside portion at the end because in the movie, during the lightcycle battle scene, it ends with them breaking out of the game grid ...

jaxonp

@marni1971 sorry if this has been asked, besides the ride and exterior ride building being cloned, do you see that entire large concourse before the ride building being mostly the same as shanghai? I mean there is a lot of infrastructure there in Shanghai leading up to Tron...

jaxonp

I really think people need to stop looking at "Tomorroland" as the definitive paradigm for the future. It never really has been. It's still a land of fantasy, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom