Would Disney ever put a ride at a resort?

alhenton

Original Poster
Watching a video about Moana and its Polynesian theme, it got me thinking if there would ever be a ride put at a resort. I havent put much thought into the logistics but lets use Moana as an example:
-Build a dark ride/rollercoaster at the Polynesian resort.
-Charge a fee for off site guests.
-Free for Polynesian guests.
-More incentive to stay at the resort.
Maybe its impossible, but I believe its worthy of a discussion. Thoughts? What are some other resorts that could have a ride that fits their theme?
Maybe its a situation where a certain ride or attraction doesnt fit into a park, but it does at a resort?

CaptainAmerica

No.

Maybe its a situation where a certain ride or attraction doesnt fit into a park, but it does at a resort?
Like what? Almost every resort has an analogous "land" in one of the parks.

Polynesian = Adventureland
Wilderness Lodge = Frontierland
Contemporary = Tomorrowland / Future World
Grand Floridian = Main Street, USA / Fantasyland
Animal Kingdom Lodge = Animal Kingdom
Yacht & Beach Club, Boardwalk = The American Adventure

deix15x8

It seems like they would keep the rides in the parks where they can get the most benefit. People aren't going to book a trip to WDW because a Moana themed ride was added to a hotel. It would be difficult to get the same value back from the investment. A themed pool area is more likely. All hotels need to have a pool so investing the money in theming it to a movie wouldn't add much if any cost to the budget, but would add extra value to guests considering what hotel to stay at. This is most applicable to the lower hotels though not deluxe. A themed pool or room could be the deciding factor for a family on the fence about staying on property vs off.

JIMINYCR

No. They want guests to converge in mass in the parks. Theres more potential for guests to part with their money inside a park where theres a variety of things to entice them to buy and raise profits. Having a single attraction in a resort wouldnt bring in enough guests to pay for the ride or staff to monitor it. It just wouldnt bring in enough riders per hour for the day.

Cmdr_Crimson

3054981-inline-i-4-these-are-the-bill-nye-reaction-gifs-you-didnt-know-you-needed.gif

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Watching a video about Moana and its Polynesian theme, it got me thinking if there would ever be a ride put at a resort. I havent put much thought into the logistics but lets use Moana as an example:
-Build a dark ride/rollercoaster at the Polynesian resort.
-Charge a fee for off site guests.
-Free for Polynesian guests.
-More incentive to stay at the resort.
Maybe its impossible, but I believe its worthy of a discussion. Thoughts? What are some other resorts that could have a ride that fits their theme?

The Poly at one time had a wave generator so you could surf in the lagoon. Does that qualify?

Mickey5150

They could easily put a ride at the Polynesian with the entrance in Adventureland. It's been done in Disneyland a lot, the ride is actually outside of the park but the entrance is inside. Although that queue would have to be really long and under a lagoon so I'm not sure it would be feasible.

Lisa t

I'd hate it if they did this. I pay enough to get into a park. Plus the time traveling to a hotel, especially if you have to take a bus from a cheaper hotel to a transportation center to the park would be ridiculous!

PurpleDragon

I always hoped they would put a small Ferris Wheel or Carousel somewhere along the Boardwalk. It just always seemed fitting for the overall theme and would add more kinetic energy to the area.

This is feasibly the only situation where they would ever put any sort of ride anywhere outside the parks. A small carousel at Boardwalk would make sense as far as continuity and theming, anything beyond that would just be dumb. Why have theme parks if you're not going to put all your rides in them? The point of the resorts is to give guests somewhere to stay on property in order to more easily access the parks, anything that would keep people away from the parks for an extended period of time is just taking money out of Disney's pocket.

disneyflush

Perfectly legitimate question. The parameters of a 'Would they...' discussion/decision are changing by the year. The underlying factors in the decision point heavily in the 'no' direction.

If occupancy rates at the Poly suddenly dropped to 50% or something crazy then this definitely becomes a bit more viable. I would think DVC owners at other resorts might cry foul for various reasons if this was ever on the table for a particular resort though. Big additions to resorts would need to be applied across the DVC spectrum of ownership if options such as this were ever considered as increasing the value to point purchases in such a drastic manner could be a volatile issue.

Launchpad McQuack

I think another big issue with putting something like a theoretical e-ticket attraction would be overcrowding both the resort and the transportation to and from the resort with "outsiders". Let's use the Polynesian as an example. Obviously, there are already people coming there for things like 'Ohana. Adding a huge attraction there would potentially draw thousands of other non-Poly guests to the resort every day. This would clog the buses/boats/monorails to and from the resort, and would also step on the paying guests' toes by having thousands of outsiders taking up space in their deluxe resort.

bethymouse

Deluxe and moderate resorts have water slides, and also the boats, monorails over to the parks ( Contemporary monorail is like a ride);)
There used to be the "train ride" from Fort Wilderness. So.. although used for "transportation", those things could be considered "rides".;) If they build the "Star Wars" hotel, then that would make a difference.;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom