News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Why do they insist on building good attractions at bad locations?

I really don't get this specific complaint. Journey of Water - an edutainment walk through about the water cycle - is most appropriate for... Epcot, especially the now christened World Nature area which is where it will be. I agree that Moana as a character fits in better in Adventureland or DAK (potentially) but, despite some significant elements from her movie, this doesn't seem like an attraction "about" Moana. I don't particularly like using her as the IP - I'd rather see someone like Ludwig Von Drake or even Mr. Ray from Nemo which I think would be a better potential theme to fit the area/park - but the basic walk through conceit is in the right park.

UNCgolf

I really don't get this specific complaint. Journey of Water - an edutainment walk through about the water cycle - is most appropriate for... Epcot, especially the now christened World Nature area which is where it will be. I agree that Moana as a character fits in better in Adventureland or DAK (potentially) but, despite some significant elements from her movie, this doesn't seem like an attraction "about" Moana. I don't particularly like using her as the IP - I'd rather see someone like Ludwig Von Drake or even Mr. Ray from Nemo which I think would be a better potential theme to fit the area/park - but the basic walk through conceit is in the right park.

I think it depends on how much of the bolded actually exists. But we won't know that until it's open.

Bocabear

It just feels like it is in the wrong park...the Adventureland styling of it does not blend well with the modernist architecture in the Entrance plaza and central core of that area...nor does it blend well with the contemporary architecture of The Land and The Living Seas pavilions. It WOULD look great tucked into DAK where it would seem to mesh better with the park...with it's underlying ecological message... Moana feels as out of place in EPCOT as a George Jetson Meet-& Greet in Adventureland.... Yes trees and fountains are pretty...especially if they blend harmoniously with their surrounding area.

sublimesting

sometimes it’s crazy to me that you can just say whatever you want on the internet
That is literally how the world showcase is made. There are expansion pads behind the countries. There also were supposed to be more countries as well. Here is an article about it. They even have the show buildings built in Japan and Germany already but never used them.

https:///2021/11/epcot-rides-that-w... “could have been” at EPCOT’s World Showcase.

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

Attachments

• E0B72889-D49D-4F3C-B999-A20C439FEF99.gif
    E0B72889-D49D-4F3C-B999-A20C439FEF99.gif
    483 KB · Views: 29

Jrb1979

The pavilions were not all designed for a boat ride.
From the different videos I've seen on the original plans Germany was to have one and possibly England.

Speaking of that why did they never go back to those plans? They had areas setup for the attractions then just barricaded them up.

Last edited:

doctornick

From the different videos I've seen on the original plans Germany was to have one and possibly England.

Never heard of UK being an option, but Germany (Rhine River Cruise) and Italy (Gondola ride) were both planned to get boat rides.

Japan was originally supposed to get a copy of Meet the World from TDL and that show building was built.

Edit: there was also plans for a Rapids ride in Canada.

MerlinTheGoat

Never heard of UK being an option, but Germany (Rhine River Cruise) and Italy (Gondola ride) were both planned to get boat rides.

Japan was originally supposed to get a copy of Meet the World from TDL and that show building was built.

Edit: there was also plans for a Rapids ride in Canada.
I'm familiar with a couple of other different ideas for Japan attractions. One being a bullet train simulator, the other was some sort of omnimover ride. And of course the infamous canned Mt Fuji roller coaster.

The UK boat ride was called Thames River Cruise. There's actually a significant amount of artwork available for it too, a lot more than the other countries' boat rides in fact.

thames.jpg

image-7.jpeg

There's quite a bit more here, and some details-

DonniePeverley

Are we still playing imagineering make belief here OR has something come to fruition ?

I dare not risk scrolling through the board and read people playing 'theme park games'.

fgmnt

That is literally how the world showcase is made. There are expansion pads behind the countries. There also were supposed to be more countries as well. Here is an article about it. They even have the show buildings built in Japan and Germany already but never used them.

There are pavilions that have unused expo space, but that does not mean that they were meant to be boat rides, particularly Japan. A number of aborted attempts at an attraction there but I do not believe a boat was either an original nor a subsequent plan.

aladdin2007

There are pavilions that have unused expo space, but that does not mean that they were meant to be boat rides, particularly Japan. A number of aborted attempts at an attraction there but I do not believe a boat was either an original nor a subsequent plan.
This, I think Meet the World was the closest thing to happening, along with part of the interior show building for Tokyo's Ginza district walk through simulated at night. Even though the bullet train simulator was on the table not sure how far that ever really got. martins Japan pavilion video shows the layout for all of this if I remember correctly. its def a great watch.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
In a follow up to this post I made on this thread, as part of *new* Frontierland in the "beyond Big Thunder" area, the current Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride would be demolished and a new one would be built in said new area. The spot where the current BTMRR ride was would be used for something else.

KingMickey13

I'm familiar with a couple of other different ideas for Japan attractions. One being a bullet train simulator, the other was some sort of omnimover ride. And of course the infamous canned Mt Fuji roller coaster.

The UK boat ride was called Thames River Cruise. There's actually a significant amount of artwork available for it too, a lot more than the other countries' boat rides in fact.

thames.jpg

image-7.jpeg

There's quite a bit more here, and some details-
I wish that at least the Germany pavilion got its attraction. The building was built and, if you knock on the Sommerfest mural and the back of the area, you will find it is hollow. This is where the Rhine River Cruise was supposed to be built.

MagicHappens1971

In a follow up to this post I made on this thread, as part of *new* Frontierland in the "beyond Big Thunder" area, the current Big Thunder Mountain Railroad ride would be demolished and a new one would be built in said new area. The spot where the current BTMRR ride was would be used for something else.
I don't think this would ever be the plan, it would cost a fortune to demo and rebuild Big Thunder elsewhere. Much cheaper to figure out the land situation without doing that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom