News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

FettFan

The Fox deal was one of Iger’s biggest acquisitions. While they’ve been terrible at incorporating those assets and IP, I can’t see him selling it off now.

Disney paid $4 Billion for Marvel, $4.05 Billion for Lucasfilm, $7.4 Billion for Pixar,

The Fox deal was $71.3 Billion. That’s why they’re putting so much stock in Avatar 2 being a success.

Iger overpaid for Fox, especially when his primary motivator was to get the Fox Marvel rights (Fantastic 4 and X-Men) back under the control of Marvel Studios.

Certain parts of Fox, the ones that are redundant, will be sold off to stop the bleeding. Disney can’t afford to just shutter them, as they did LucasArts and LucasBooks after that acquisition.

(Btw, ending lucasarts was one of the dumbest decisions Disney ever made…but that’s another topic for another thread)

Last edited:

FettFan

Maybe a bit of alliteration could have spiced the name up. Like Tiana's Trading Co or something.

We already have one TTC on property, thank you very much!

ttc_cover.jpeg

FettFan

That's interesting and it would make sense for a scenario for that to happen. Are there any sources that elaborate on this rumor though? I hadn't heard it among all of the nonsense, but it would actually make a lot of business sense.

None. I’ve been listening to all the talking heads spouting their rumors from “insiders” and just played it like a game of telephone.

There’s got to be a kernel of truth about a pending asset sale, but everyone jumped to the most extreme conclusion.

It makes sense for them to offload 20th Century Animation first, as it’s totally redundant, and their library doesn’t mesh well with the “Disney” signature design.

Last time I was at WDW, they were trying to promote Fox’s Ice Age series with a sand sculpture in front of Animal Kingdom….and the whole thing was as ill-matched as Snoop Dogg at a Garth Brooks concert.

It’s my prediction that Apple will purchase 20CA from Disney because they do not have their own animation studio. They’re distributing Skydance movies on Apple TV+, but between the John Lassiter controversy and the middling reviews for their first feature, Luck, they’ve got justification enough to cut ties and team with the studio that has a string of moneymakers.

They’ll probably even revert the name back to BlueSky. Or Apple BlueSky.

comics101

If the information given to me is correct, the budget for the current salt mine variant is actually far higher than it was when they first announced the ride. The initial art was the low budget "thrown together" version. The early rumors were in the $30-$40 million range. This was back when the "Lost Trumpet" variant was being tossed around. I'm also not sure they ever planned on using anything from that initial concept art, it was cobbled together on short notice with little thought. The Tiana and Louis figures certainly wouldn't have been placed in that area for instance. But even if they HAD built the tree/boat, that variant called for a very dark, empty and video-centric interior that would have ruined any hopes of it being an acceptable replacement for Splash.

Despite the loss of the details at the top of the mountain (and I also consider them a loss), it's not the end of the world if the budget was actually increased and the money redirected to the interior scenes instead.
The “salt mine” storyline is an improvement? They were given additional funding for the attraction and that’s still the best they could come up with? Seriously??

Yikes.

_caleb

The “salt mine” storyline is an improvement? They were given additional funding for the attraction and that’s still the best they could come up with? Seriously??

Yikes.
I think the “salt mine” idea was part of the attraction setting’s backstory (what the Imagineers use to help make consistent creative choices), not the storyline of the attraction (what guests are told through the attraction experience).

EPCOT-O.G.

I think the “salt mine” idea was part of the attraction setting’s backstory (what the Imagineers use to help make consistent creative choices), not the storyline of the attraction (what guests are told through the attraction experience).
It’s the backstory and the setting

Buried20KLeague

Well, it was inevitable that it was gonna close in January. Sad to see Splash Mountain go, but it is what it is now. The concept art looks better then what was shown before. Not sure how Disneyland’s is gonna be done by late 2024 if they don’t close that one soon as well.

They might as well close the DL one like, yeaterday. I rode it 5 or 6 weeks ago and so many things were broken that they literally just turned the lights out for the first half of the ride. We just went through 2 or 3 pitch black rooms with background music playing.

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney paid $4 Billion for Marvel, $4.05 Billion for Lucasfilm, $7.4 Billion for Pixar,

The Fox deal was $71.3 Billion. That’s why they’re putting so much stock in Avatar 2 being a success.

Iger overpaid for Fox, especially when his primary motivator was to get the Fox Marvel rights (Fantastic 4 and X-Men) back under the control of Marvel Studios.

Certain parts of Fox, the ones that are redundant, will be sold off to stop the bleeding. Disney can’t afford to just shutter them, as they did LucasArts and LucasBooks after that acquisition.

(Btw, ending lucasarts was one of the dumbest decisions Disney ever made…but that’s another topic for another thread)

I got the impression the primary motivator was Hulu, the Fox catalog was just the icing on the cake.

MerlinTheGoat

Yikes.
I doubt the salt mine backstory affected the budget. It's just something Carter's team seems insistent on having to try and justify why there's a tall hill in a swampy area. A stupid idea for sure, but so far I'm not seeing much about that idea that would impact the budget either way. Looking at the model, I would not be able to figure out that a salt mine was even part of the story without being told.

If we're fortunate, that aspect of the ride will mostly be contained to the queue and a couple corners of the exterior. But even the exterior is still themed to look like a bayou. If that new piece of art is any indication, the interior also seems to be focused on the bayou setting as well. And I also assume that is where the budget is going. Which again would be a good thing, since the first concept they pitched called for a mass gutting of the interior. Leaving behind empty dark rooms, scarce AA's and video projections for most if not all of the scenery and characters.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom