Disney Food Is Expensive and Worse Than Ever

eliza61nyc

OK, maybe it’s not all bad, but I’m struggling to fill out a quick, 3 day trip.

The only places I even somewhat enjoy are:

Citricos
California Grill
Topolinos
Teppan Edo

It seems the menus everywhere are SUPER limited and even I have to say, the prices are out of control. I looked at Skipper Canteen and was shocked this level of food is in the $30-40 range. Insane.

Any suggestions on decent food? I don’t even care so much for the price, but what has surprised you as a good quality, enjoyable experience? Other than Teppan Edo, I almost cant think of a “park” restaurant I like and I’ve been to them all.

Le Cellier, for example, is definitely worse than I remember. And about $65/person. I just leave all these places feeling unsatisfied. I’d pay the prices if the food were good, but quality and portions have seemingly taken a nose dive.

Again, any suggestions on a place I should try again?
Wait 30-40 bucks is insane?? 😏

I was at la Celloer last September and it was great, I'm hoping it was an off night as I've definitely got plans to go again.

Our favorite is the boathouse at Disney Springs. Great food and great cocktails.

We also love the Yachtsmsn steakhouse st the Yacht club

I will say our first choice is to not eat in the parks but we never thought parkrestaurants were anything but average. Via Napoli and le Cellier are probably our two exceptions

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Honestly, we found the best food was to go offsite (yes, it required a car or Uber) and eat at a regular restaurant. We don't mind chains and went to an Outback that was pretty close. Beyond that, we typically get food from Publix for the week (more due to some dietary issues than anything else) and just get a snack or two inside the parks. The offsite food was healthier (well, less unhealthy), tasted better, and didn't cost near as much. I will admit that going offsite does require some time, though. I believe that it took us 15-20 minutes to get to the Outback from the Magic Kingdom.
Hey man you do you but time is money. I like Outback as much as the next guy and but can't say it's worth losing over an hour of park time to travel to and come back. I would say the average WDW TS place has steak on par with Outback, and any cost savings are lost in the Uber costs.

thomas998

If you want decent food at a realistic price you eat outside Disney, then go to the park after you eat... Or go to the park first and eat after you leave. Disney has been complete s**t for a long time when it comes to food for the price... hell it has been horrible even if you ignore the price for quite some time in most place at Disney.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
For table service the hotels are great. Sanaa, Boma, Jiko, Toledos, Narcooses, Artist Point are all fantastic. In park Biergarten, Via Napoli, Brown Derby, 50s Primetime, Yak and Yeti, Nomad Lounge and Tiffins are great. I know you say Skippers is too much but the food is really good, I would give it a chance.
For counters Connections is fantastic. Never have issues at Columbia Harbour. France Bakery and Regal Eagle are amazing. ABC Commissary has gotten really good since the updated menu. Satuli and Flame Tree BBQ are great
Sanaa was good and I did like Jiko. I kind of forget to go over to AK lodge. Good suggestion.

Narcoossee's is hit or miss for me. I've had some of the worst steak I've ever had there, but I do like the lobster bisque and butter poached lobster tails.

It's been 5 years since I've tried ABC, maybe worth a quick service. Thanks.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Wait 30-40 bucks is insane?? 😏

I was at la Celloer last September and it was great, I'm hoping it was an off night as I've definitely got plans to go again.

Our favorite is the boathouse at Disney Springs. Great food and great cocktails.

We also love the Yachtsmsn steakhouse st the Yacht club

I will say our first choice is to not eat in the parks but we never thought parkrestaurants were anything but average. Via Napoli and le Cellier are probably our two exceptions
For Skipper, it's insane. I got the steak once and it was like shoe leather. The chicken dish is OK, but usually quite bland.

I used to always have good experiences at Le Cellier, but lately, they've been off. Chewy steak and typically slightly overcooked. Extremely salty risotto and average service. I will try it again because I used to like it very much.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Jiko. Tiffins.
I like Tiffins. However, the last time we went, the service was so bad, I decided I wouldn't return.

Had a waiter literally arguing with me that they don't do the free bread/oil anymore. Come to find out, they do and the waiter was wrong. This was minor considering he took our order and never came back. The chicken was cold and the shrimp was like rubber.

My other experiences were solid food and stellar service, but this time was just so bad, it turned me off permanently.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I try to make apples-to-apples comparisons.

I was at a decent-but-unremarkable restaurant in Boston on Saturday and my steak frites was $27. The steak frites at Steakhouse 71 is $26 and much better.
You're not wrong. Tons of cities with supposedly "great food" are overrated, expensive, and unsatisfying. I think restaurants in general have become somewhat meh in their consistency and food quality. I was in Paris and felt the same way. I do enjoy cooking myself and buy very good quality ingredients. I think if you do that, your palate becomes harder to please and more discerning.

The issue for me is that Disney has seen a decline in the last couple years in food quality, service and consistency.

If you think Steakhouse 71 is worth a try, I'll go because it's probably the only place I have not tried yet. My only issue is they don't show the beef grades, so it's definitely not prime. If it's choice, that's something...but they don't even show that from what I've seen.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
In no particular order, and off the top of my head, here are my recommendations.

QS: Pecos Bill's, Sleepy Hollow, Casey's Corner, Cantina de San Angel (can be a super cheap sharing meal if you get a nachos, side of beans, and side of guac), Tangerine Cafe, Sunshine Seasons, Docking Bay 7, Ronto Roasters, Satuli Canteen, Flame Tree BBQ, Harambe Market,

TS: Steakhouse 71, Via Napoli, Ohana, Space 220 (lounge or lunch), Sanaa, Boma, Three Bridges, Liberty Tree Tavern

We're not big on signature dining because we don't like taking that much time out of our days for meals, but ditto what @Tony the Tigger said about Jiko and Tiffins.
Found hair in my food twice at Liberty Tree, so it's turned me off. Flame Tree is the best QS at Disney, agreed! I liked the Ronto Wraps. Got diahrrea at Pecos a while back and haven't worked up the courage to return, LOL.

I've never liked 'Ohana.

I'm also going to try Space 220 if I can get a reservation.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Spa
I'm going to try for Space 220 also but I'm no expecting superb food, I realize that the experience is the reason behind the crazy cost.

For my wife and I, the food was actually very good in September but there have been some menu changes, minor but still a change. IMHO the Patina groups' quality standards are kept very well. Not rushed, quiet and after a few minutes, the large screens just look cheezy. Dont fall for the " watch for the light saber fight" , its not worth your time.

StantonZ

Honestly, we found the best food was to go offsite (yes, it required a car or Uber) and eat at a regular restaurant. We don't mind chains and went to an Outback that was pretty close.
You lost me already.
Forgetting about the hassle (and lost time) of going off-site, there are plenty of places in WDW that meet (or exceed) Outback quality. Yes, prices are high, but you can find quality food in the parks.
For example, our last couple of meals at Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest were outstanding (and yes, expensive). And Steakhouse 71 was a pleasant surprise.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
You lost me already.
Forgetting about the hassle (and lost time) of going off-site, there are plenty of places in WDW that meet (or exceed) Outback quality. Yes, prices are high, but you can find quality food in the parks.
For example, our last couple of meals at Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest were outstanding (and yes, expensive). And Steakhouse 71 was a pleasant surprise.
I get a lot of raised eyebrows on my take on Be Our Guest. I think it's actually pretty good quality food. I do like it. HOWEVER, the portions are stupidly small. Pro tip: If you politely ask for more of anything, they will give it to you for no charge. I said I got 4 green beans once and they brought me a bowl of them. Same with potatoes, which are some of the best mashed potatoes in the parks.

Even got a second bowl of lobster bisque when they asked how it was...I simply said, great, only wish I had more! And he brought a second bowl, lol.

I also find the service there quite good as I think a lot of long timers work there. I'd think you can do pretty well with average 4 person checks being in the $220 range.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
Spa

For my wife and I, the food was actually very good in September but there have been some menu changes, minor but still a change. IMHO the Patina groups' quality standards are kept very well. Not rushed, quiet and after a few minutes, the large screens just look cheezy. Dont fall for the " watch for the light saber fight" , its not worth your time.
I don't think I've ever seen a 220 reservation available.

UNCgolf

The Boma buffet is the best place for breakfast IMO.

The best table service meals I've had at Disney were all at Flying Fish. The last time we were at Disney we ate there and California Grill on back to back nights and Flying Fish was much better -- not even a comparison. But I wouldn't consider going to California Grill now with the prix fixe nonsense anyways.

It's certainly possible Flying Fish has gone downhill after being closed for a while, though.

Polite Pig and Pizza Ponte are both really good QS options at Disney Springs; I think Polite Pig is better than most (maybe all) of the table service restaurants there.

Last edited:

Disneyfan_76

The cost increase doesn't bother me as much as the decreased food quality. Or last trip in June, we went back to Skipper Canteen after having not visited it in six years or so. We had been there two times previous on other trips. I remember getting a sweet and sour pork dish the first time and a sustainable fish the second. Was looking forward to trying the fish again as I remember it being quite good in the past. It was a whole fish, head and all, charred quite nicely with a great sauce to go with it. Ordered the dish again this June and got... a small salmon fillet that looked like it just got defrosted. It wasn't terrible, but it was such a let down from what I was expecting. It was served over some bland rice and soggy vegetables. This looked like something I would get at Applebee's or Olive garden. Just disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom