News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

Touchdown

muddyrivers

Just reading this conversation for the first time, and it’s so distinctly wdwmagic that some people have angrily bought into this conspiracy theory in which you’re being listened to. The ONLY time your voice is recorded is after it hears you call its name, in this case, “Hey Disney” (admittedly not the most clever choice). You are not being recorded during sex.

Even if you were, you’re not the protagonist in a world of billions, and so you have lottery-level odds that any Amazon employee would ever hear it and then care. But that’s a moot point anyway.
I'm not sure if this has been brought up since I honestly don't want to read a 10 page thread of arguments, but my concern is the fact these recordings are stored by Amazon in general which are then used for "personalization" and other marketing/advertising purposes. I work in the world of cybersecurity and I am already annoyed/freaked out by social media ads showing products related to things I searched for on other sites. Try as I might to keep everything separate, it's nearly impossible to do.

The last thing I want on my Disney vacation is to have something in my room which has the potential (just wait, we all know it's coming, it is Disney after all) to "tailor the magic" based on what I've said or asked in the presence of the device even multiple years or trips earlier because Amazon does store recordings for long periods of time if not permanently.

EPCOT-O.G.

Just reading this conversation for the first time, and it’s so distinctly wdwmagic that some people have angrily bought into this conspiracy theory in which you’re being listened to. The ONLY time your voice is recorded is after it hears you call its name, in this case, “Hey Disney” (admittedly not the most clever choice). You are not being recorded during sex.

Even if you were, you’re not the protagonist in a world of billions, and so you have lottery-level odds that any Amazon employee would ever hear it and then care. But that’s a moot point anyway.
This is terribly naive. Much of what Disney’s done in the IT realm of the last year or two has been to boost their data mining abilities (Genie+, Magic Band +, etc.). So much tech - whether it is our laptop cameras, iPhone cameras, latent apps - are collecting data even when they are not “on” or being used.

Ask yourself- at a time when luxuries and basic necessities are being pared back in the parks and resorts, why would they suddenly take on this cost and hassle?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s supposed to only record after being activated, but it’s not that hot at doing that

Also I wonder how, as this is not a device you own, you are supposed to be able to review and delete conversations which appears to be the only remedy. I too will be unplugging this especially since Disney is so commonly used in discussions in the room.
Or. The mute/privacy button. Lol.

dreday3

Why are people unplugging? Because you think it will answer you every time you say Disney or because you think it's recording your conversations?

I don't think we say "Disney" much, if at all in the room. Now I'm curious how many times we will turn it on accidentally. 😂

dreday3

They don’t clean when they turn over the rooms?

I didn’t say I wouldn’t plug it back in before I left.

I don't know how these plug in. I suppose it you are unplugging it from the device and you can see it's unplugged on the table, then if the person couldn't be bothered to plug it back in, housekeeping would.

But I'm not sure if it's unplugged from a wall socket it would even be noticeable to housekeeping, even when cleaning floor and they would miss plugging it back in. I don't really pay attention to plugs/sockets when I'm cleaning/vacuuming.

JoeCamel

Why are people unplugging? Because you think it will answer you every time you say Disney or because you think it's recording your conversations?

I don't think we say "Disney" much, if at all in the room. Now I'm curious how many times we will turn it on accidentally. 😂
They do listen all the time unless unplugged or muted even then do they really turn off?

CaptainAmerica

They're supposed to be opt-in. You shouldn't have to do anything at all for it to be disabled.

EPCOT-O.G.

I’m sure they’ll use their new powers and abilities benevolently.

Weather_Lady

I don't know really, and honestly don't care.

They can listen, I can be pretty entertaining.
Agreed. If I thought my in-room conversations could be overheard, I don't think I could resist the temptation to, e.g., make periodic casual references to the bodies I've buried on Disney property, or graphically describe the romantic flings I've engaged in with Captain Jack Sparrow. Every night at bedtime, I would deliver a dramatic reading of KatieBug's famous "Unmagical Day" post in a different regional accent, followed by the singing of the National Anthem.

Honestly, I might never leave the room.

JoeCamel

Agreed. If I thought my in-room conversations could be overheard, I don't think I could resist the temptation to, e.g., engage in graphic discussions of bodies I've buried on Disney property and romantic flings I've engaged in with Captain Jack Sparrow. Every night at bedtime, I would deliver a dramatic reading of KatieBug's famous "Unmagical Day" post in a different regional accent, followed by the singing of the National Anthem.
Record
"Hey Disney"
"Bob Iger is king"
"Bob Chapek is scum"
"I like Josh"
and play it on loop in the room all day.
Free ILLs for length of stay!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom