News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

JoeCamel

After the town hall Bob needs to get the PR machine cranked to goose the stock. These articles are depressing the price.

Yeah I know it isn't the articles...../..

CaptainMickey

It's starting to feel like the Eisner turmoil years again. I'm getting the feeling the company will be in worse shape then when Eisner left and Iger's reputation will be in worse shape then Eisner's when he leaves. There is not an easy fix. With all the Fox debt, it wont be easy to just buy IP and talent this time around. Should be an interesting next few years.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's a NYT article:

"Investors now want to see old-fashioned profit in streaming."

"He [Iger] cannot simply continue on the path he laid out before he left, as the landscape has changed materially,” Richard Greenfield, a founder of the LightShed Partners research firm, wrote with two colleagues in a client note on Tuesday.

"... the problems can’t all be laid at Mr. Chapek’s feet."

It's really Wall Street's streaming strategy. Every investor rewarded big bets on streaming in 2018 and 2019, no matter the initial losses.

Indeed. Wall Street was given guidance that D+ wouldn't be profitable until 2024. And twice Wall Street bumped DIS stocks to new heights with the first D+ day, and then with the first quarterly report during the pandemic that showed Disney wasn't losing much ground with the parks closed. So, Wall Street was on board and rewarding a loss-leading streamer so that it can dominate the market.

Now Wall Street panicked over Netflix's losses (which it reversed) and decided all streamers are bad investments. The same Wall Streeters who wring their hands over cord-cutting, but unwilling to invest in its successor... all of a sudden.

Wall Street has a manic grip on companies for missing ever-increasing profit *expectations*. And even if a company's profit is growing, it's trash to them if it isn't growing at the pace they predict.

FigmentFan82

Iger asked the people who make movies to make movies. Lucasfilm are the ones who should have had a better handle on the creative vision for the sequels, but they didn't and it shows. Lucasfilm axed Lord and Miller and Solo still managed to turn out better than the sequel movies. Lucasfilm gets in its own way.

Casper Gutman

Iger asked the people who make movies to make movies. Lucasfilm are the ones who should have had a better handle on the creative vision for the sequels, but they didn't and it shows. Lucasfilm axed Lord and Miller and Solo still managed to turn out better than the sequel movies. Lucasfilm gets in its own way.
Iger set absurd deadlines to show off his shiny new toy.

Luke in TLJ was a really strong, interesting bit of character development. He was great, and the rot at the core of the Jedi order that his section of the film began to address has been evident since Empire and ran throughout the PT, though Lucas lacked the nuance in his writing to effectively deal with it. Dealing with it head on should have been a priority of the ST, and Last Jedi began that, but then RoS ran away from it as fast as possible.

Anyway, we should stop arguing about Star Wars here, I say hypocritically.

LittleBuford

This feels like a "I didn't like it so therefore it was woke" which makes the word have no meaning whatsoever.
This is what “woke” has become for so many people: a nebulous catchall by which they can unthinkingly rubbish anything they happen not to like.

What makes it all the more unfortunate is that this understanding of “woke” is a total perversion of how the the term/concept was originally used in African American discourse, where it had (and still has) a very positive meaning.

CaptainAmerica

Solo was the worst of the bunch, and they get double-dinged for the weird decision to write Enfys Nest and Karli Morgenthau as the exact same character and cast them with the exact same actress.

joshwill

This is what “woke” has become for so many people: a nebulous catchall by which they can unthinkingly rubbish anything they happen not to like.

What makes it all the more unfortunate is that this understanding of “woke” is a total perversion of how the the term/concept was originally used in African American discourse, where it had (and still has) a very positive meaning.
when i was younger, we had a different way of saying woke, we called it having empathy for others

matt9112

I think the movie was crap, but I agree with you about Luke. Luke even addressed it within the movie. "You think, what? I’m gonna walk out with a laser sword and face down the whole First Order?"

The complaints about Luke are primarily from weird nerds who are upset that 70 year old Luke Skywalker wasn't the uber badass that 30 year old Luke Skywalker was in the old novels that were barely canon to begin with.

How old was palpatene? It’s not like being old and weak have to go together.

I think people would have rather he wasn’t there than to see him less than glorified. Some might say he was tossed in as an easy bone to throw to fans even.

It’s also implied that the first order was a fraction of the size of the empire. Thus should be far easier the defeat.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

How old was palpatene? It’s not like being old and weak have to go together.

I think people would have rather he wasn’t there than to see him less than glorified. Some might say he was tossed in as an east bone to throw to fans even.
He force-projected himself across the galaxy to save everyone, sacrificing himself in the process. He was literally given a messianic send-off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait, why don't we like the Lucasfilm Story Group? I thought the Lucasfilm Story Group was just Pablo Hidalgo and Leland Chee slapping novelists on the wrist when they try to do something that goes against established canon.
They were quietly, unceremoniously fired in the midst of 3 awful movies rolling out.

Beyond that - how was the play, Mary?
I enjoyed it. I can’t view it as crap just because you and others think it is. Nor can I pretend that Luke was “destroyed” when he was, in fact, portrayed as a self-sacrificial hero.
Blah blah…yeah…”some people” liked Leonard part VI too…

…but we never got a part 7.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom