News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Chip Chipperson

IF that's true, then Chapek really comes off looking like a giant d-bag. Complaining that he had to wait to lay off employees until the CARES Act passed so that the impacted employees would have some financial assistance??? How greedy and short-sighted can someone be? It's not like those extra weeks if salary were going to bankrupt the company. Rather than complaining g about being undermined, he should have been grateful that he didn't look like an even bigger a-hole right out of the gate. That doesn't absolve Iger of his sudden disappearing act as the crap hit the fan, but it does show how uncaring and out of touch Chapek is.

mf1972

since the news broke the other day, it reminds me of this..
AE5983C3-2C7B-41B6-9D85-0794C2F646AE.gif

now let’s hope for the love of god chapek doesn’t come back as a clone in a few years

CaptainAmerica

IF that's true, then Chapek really comes off looking like a giant d-bag. Complaining that he had to wait to lay off employees until the CARES Act passed so that the impacted employees would have some financial assistance??? How greedy and short-sighted can someone be? It's not like those extra weeks if salary were going to bankrupt the company. Rather than complaining g about being undermined, he should have been grateful that he didn't look like an even bigger a-hole right out of the gate. That doesn't absolve Iger of his sudden disappearing act as the crap hit the fan, but it does show how uncaring and out of touch Chapek is.
Give me a break. This article was clearly written by Schmob Schmiger.

mightynine

Netflix has to report their quarterly profit/loss, just like Disney. They were severely punished earlier this year by Wall Street for missing financial goals. This is what turned Wall Street against all the streamers. They're not looking at subs any more, but the streamers' profit/loss. And that's what hurt Disney this past quarter. Even though its streamers are growing with subs at a good rate, it had a huge loss in the quarter, which, theoretically, was supposed to be its peak loss anyway, but, the sheer quantity of the loss shocked Wall Street.
Well, I was talking more about a show’s performance over company performance. Like Stranger Things reached X amount of streams or something to be number one this week.

Basically, there’s no industry standard like Nielsen ratings right now for streaming exclusive shows was my point. If Netflix had established one with a third-party at some point, we might have one today.

CaptainAmerica

Well, I was talking more about a show’s performance over company performance. Like Stranger Things reached X amount of streams or something to be number one this week.

Basically, there’s no industry standard like Nielsen ratings right now for streaming exclusive shows was my point. If Netflix had established one with a third-party at some point, we might have one today.
Nielsen measures some streaming.

I don't think I can say any more than that.

Cliff

No, they don't. They all report their streamer numbers in their quarterlies because Wall Street would get very nervous and punish them for hiding that.

Disney was always advertising their sub numbers, until last year when Chapek decided they'd stop. But that lasted one quarter. They went back to reporting their sub numbers.
It's not just sub numbers. It's more about eyeballs "actually" watching, who they are and where they are. They will ask for how many people actually "saw" their add and how many clicked away before it started...etc. Disney will need to give the add agencies all that data to negotiate rates. You can claim you have a trillion subs. What they need to do is give "actual" and "real" viewer metrics.

Subscriber numbers tell you almost nothing at all.

MerlinTheGoat

I also heard that Mr. Iger wanted to give every guest a puppy and build a whole land based on Figment with seven E-Tickets while Mr. Chapek wanted to hold guests' heads in the toilet and replace the corporate mascot Mickey Mouse with a handful of rancid mayonnaise.

Source: Mr. Iger
Yeah, i'm calling BS on all of this. Anyone who has a memory longer than your average goldfish will know that Iger has never cared about the well being of employees. And that his go-to solution for dealing with financial issues is to conduct aggressive price hikes and upcharge schemes.

Remember that time when several hundred US workers at Disney's IT department were abruptly fired and forced to train lower paid H-1B replacements?

Not to mention the layoffs and price hikes that came as a result of the financial problems surrounding Shanghai Disneyland. The expense and controversies of which no one needs any reminder of.

CaptainAmerica

Yeah, i'm calling BS on all of this. Anyone who has a memory longer than your average goldfish will know that Iger has never cared about the well being of employees. And that his go-to solution for dealing with financial issues is to conduct aggressive price hikes and upcharge schemes.

Remember that time when several hundred US workers at Disney's IT department were abruptly fired and forced to train lower paid H-1B replacements?
That story was misreported from the beginning.

kingdead

Does Chapek have any friends in this world? Sad!
Definitely. I think sometimes things may underperform but it doesn't mean it's some disaster. But it can show brand fatigue or maybe other underlying issues.

I personally am and have friends, family, and coworkers that are all Star Wars fans and only one has checked out Andor.

The people I talked with said they just need a break from Star Wars but will probably see it one day in the future.
Andor may be a great show in and of itself (haven't watched it) but I think it has the problem of being adult... for Star Wars. So if you're an older Star Wars fan, you might be attracted to the intrigue and grittier side, but younger fans can't watch and adults who aren't Star Wars fans aren't going to cross over. Especially as stuff like "House of the Dragon" can depict things that Andor can only sniff at. (OK, not everyone is up for flame broiled execution and incest but you know, the stuff Mr. Chapek said adults wanted to watch after the kiddies went to bed.)

MerlinTheGoat

That story was misreported from the beginning.
The small group who filed a lawsuit about it were taken for a ride by scummy politicians who knew they had no case, and what Disney did was actually legal. But there's nothing i'm aware of that indicates the initial story was misreported. The employees were indeed fired and replaced by cheaper outsourced immigrant labor, and the former employees helped train their replacements before leaving.

Chip Chipperson

Give me a break. This article was clearly written by Schmob Schmiger.

I'm well aware that this could be spin, which is why I capitalized the "IF" at the beginning of my statement. We have previously heard reports that Chapek was upset about Iger undermining him early in his tenure, so it's a plausible story but that doesn't necessarily mean that the story presented is true. It's possible that Chapek was angry about being undermined in a different way or its possible that the story is true. We'll likely never know for sure unless Chapek is dumb enough to confirm it himself.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm well aware that this could be spin, which is why I capitalized the "IF" at the beginning of my statement. We have previously heard reports that Chapek was upset about Iger undermining him early in his tenure, so it's a plausible story but that doesn't necessarily mean that the story presented is true. It's possible that Chapek was angry about being undermined in a different way or its possible that the story is true. We'll likely never know for sure unless Chapek is dumb enough to confirm it himself.
I have zero doubts in my mind that Chapek felt threatened by Bob Iger and was still treated as second fiddle during that transitional phase. The clash of egos in such a scenario is inevitable. The part that is complete and utter BS is the idea that Iger's attempts to undermine Chapek were based on empathy and respect for the employees or customers.

The idea that Iger would be against endless price hikes at the parks is especially absurd. This is some transparently laughable propaganda.

el_super

Subscriber numbers tell you almost nothing at all.

Yeah but eyeballs watching really only makes sense at the ad-supported level. It's way harder to gauge if someone bought into Disney+ to watch MIGHTY DUCKS GAME CHANGERS but end up watching Andor because it was just there and they already paid.

The problem to be solved is determining what amount of costs can be reduced and what programming is actually generating new subscribers/preventing cancellations. Does it make sense to keep the high production values for fewer programs or reduce production costs across all programs? Is the current slate of programming popular enough to justify price increases?

Are we saying that the minutes watched for Andor being poor, means that show isn't providing value for the cost? Should it be cancelled? Or are we still in a mode where the sum is greater than the parts and Disney needs MORE content at a reduced price?

Ad supported makes sense when you can sell ads based on minutes watched or how many subscribers watched a particular program. Determining how to evaluate the subscription model is way harder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom