News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

DCLcruiser

Anyone that would wait 2 hours for Toy Story Midway Mania needs their head examined!

Current wait times in HS:

ToT: Temp closed, Genie+ gone
Toy Story Mania: 120 mins
ROTR: 145 mins
Slinky DD: 160 mins
RnR: 120 mins
MFSR: 110 mins
MMRR: 100 mins
TSMM is one of the best rides at WDW. I would grab a LL early, and rope drop Rise or something else.

CaptainAmerica

The point is, the PP said it wont be crowded because WDW is limiting attandance with park pass reservations in order to improve the experience

Thats simply not true and I dont think you would even argue with that
They never said "it won't be crowded."

Have you ever been to the parks on Christmas Day? Because I've done it as a guest, and as a cast member, and it's terrifying. Like, terrifying to the point where you're worried for your safety. Limiting that sort of thing is the purpose of attendances caps. Not "it won't be crowded."

Sir_Cliff

I think the other media chiefs are crapping their pants watching Disney get raked over the coals for streaming results. Outside of maybe some niche products here and there, I think there's going to be one or two competitors left for Netflix when the dust settles. The industry needs consolidation.
True, but what does that leave for Disney to buy? Another streaming service bleeding money? It seems to be that's now what Iger is being brought back to do.

DCLcruiser

It has a couple of moderate thrill rides

They never put in much else and they have had every chance to
Rise, M:F, ST, TSMM (not thrilling, but it's way more fun than most), SDD, RnRC, ToT... I'm pretty sure that's more than the other parks. Outside of more roller coasters, or an Indy car ride I don't know what more they need.

CaptainAmerica

Rise, M:F, ST, TSMM (not thrilling, but it's way more fun than most), SDD, RnRC, ToT... I'm pretty sure that's more than the other parks. Outside of more roller coasters, or an Indy car ride I don't know what more they need.
People here dislike Studios because they've seen all of the shows a thousand times. If you're skipping Frozen, Indy, Beauty and the Best, Lightning, etc. then there's not quite enough to do. If you watch all the shows you need at least a day and a half.

Dranth

Iger is the reason the current company is the way it is.

He is why:
- The company ignores its greater history (with the exception of merch rollouts) in order to promote the legacy of things created under him
- Disney continues to price us out in the parks as a means of “controlling capacity” rather than properly investing in the parks to keep up with demand
- Remakes and acquisitions take priority instead of new ideas.
- Parks are merely viewed as an advertisement for toys and recent movies. Everything must be tied to a movie franchise!
- We got a horribly unqualified successor because he removed all of the executives that could have done a better job than him (famously also an Eisner problem, but Iger never gets criticized for it).
- Disney completely abandoned any interest in the video game industry, ignoring a massive entertainment medium that constantly increases in popularity.

I’m sure I’m missing a lot, but this guy has been horrible for the parks as a whole and has sucked all of the ambition of the company, turning into a soulless machine for Wall Street and the BoD.
I never said he wasn't, I said he is better than Chapek which makes him an improvement and that is something to be happy about. If anyone can look me in the eye and honestly tell me they would rather have Chapek after the last few years then I will show you someone who is smoking a whole lot of crack.

DCLcruiser

They never said "it won't be crowded."

Have you ever been to the parks on Christmas Day? Because I've done it as a guest, and as a cast member, and it's terrifying. Like, terrifying to the point where you're worried for your safety. Limiting that sort of thing is the purpose of attendances caps. Not "it won't be crowded."
I never understood why anyone would want to be away from home/family's home for Christmas. I like the WDW Disney parade show on Christmas morning, but besides that, plenty of better times to go.

I'm going next week, after Thanksgiving obviously, and it is usually less crowded.

SteamboatJoe

Yeah, I don’t expect a major purchase. I think he’s going to do stuff that boosts confidence without costing any money, like making big announcements (parks expansions, new films/series, etc.). I think selling his acquisitions might feel like losing for him, so I’m not sure about that, either.
Agreed unless the sale allows them to eliminate redundancies (i e., Hulu citing market oversaturation that previously didn't exist and the need to streamline distribution).

Its definitely going to be about cutting costs, making Disney+ profitable, repairing relationships, improving perceived value, and restoring trust in the company.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I need some time to parse the financial statements, but I saw somewhere it was reported that Genie+ alone is already more profitable than Cruise Line.

Well let’s see…. Software margins vs hospitality industry …. And comparing a system in place verse the one spending billions to invest in long term capEx…. And comparing profits?

Seems totally legit…

DCLcruiser

People here dislike Studios because they've seen all of the shows a thousand times. If you're skipping Frozen, Indy, Beauty and the Best, Lightning, etc. then there's not quite enough to do. If you watch all the shows you need at least a day and a half.
Honestly, I don't watch any shows besides Little Mermaid, bc she forces me lol. I am there for the rides and my own personal nostalgia.

EDIT. I like the nightly show on DCL cruises, I just don't have time or much interest at WDW.

Brer Oswald

I never said he wasn't, I said he is better than Chapek which makes him an improvement and that is something to be happy about. If anyone can look me in the eye and honestly tell me they would rather have Chapek after the last few years then I will show you someone who is smoking a whole lot of crack.
The benefit of rock bottom is that it can force you to reach for new heights.

Or it can lead you back to the source of what led you to rock bottom in the first place. Because “at least it’s better than rock bottom”. Until it isn’t.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Every bad thing about Chapek, other than style, started with Iger.

And tact and ability to balance.

It was like an artist who starts on a piece… who then hands the brushes to a toddler. The output is still ‘art’ but in name only because all the method and purpose were ignored by the toddler. And the result is a mess.

Chapek apparently was obtuse to the idea that you don’t treat your partners and customers as if they were literally walking spreadsheet cells.

CaptainAmerica

It was like an artist who starts on a piece… who then hands the brushes to a toddler. The output is still ‘art’ but in name only because all the method and purpose were ignored by the toddler. And the result is a mess.
The painting was already going to be a mess, and the artist knew it, so he gave the brushes to the toddler at the worst possible moment so he wouldn't take any of the blame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom