News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

BobPar

That’s my advice also, plan for it to be packed and feel blessed if it’s not, there’s nothing worse than expecting average crowds and then showing up to chaos.

We had an amazing trip in Nov 2021 but I haven’t seen any pictures in the last 6 months that look like what we experienced a year ago.

We’ll be back in January and I’m expecting huge crowds, I hope I’m wrong but I know we’ll have fun regardless of crowds, it’s WDW, we always have fun, even when we went for New Years a few years ago and were packed in like sardines the whole time.
The summer was great regarding crowds & honestly as hot as it was i would seriously think about going back again vs Christmas season

fgmnt

Hard to say…

Appointing Eisner as “director emeritus” would be a strong PR move…because even though people crap all over him (mostly based on old out of context complaints on places such as this)…it is hard to dispute what his overall product was.
Eisner apparently can shepherd a more durable successor than Iger; you have to wonder if that has been considered by what counts as a brain trust in Burbank.

alphac2005

Well, at least Chapek wasn't as bad as David Zaslav over at WB. That's a very low bar to clear, but still. Over there, it's an absolute dumpster fire.

BTW, in case you're wondering what video from the ABC News website I had linked to in my "theoretical email to Iger" that no longer works, it's the full two-hour interview that Josh Elliott did of former Penn State president Graham Spanier in August 2012, which Spanier undertook to defend himself from criticism. Obviously a very big interview, which ABC had made available to view at the end of 2013, during Spanier's trial, but it no longer works.

Furthermore, ABCNEWS VideoSource should also really be improved further, in allowing access to raw interview material.
You have that right. We have a very close friend who is visiting with us right now during the holiday week and they work for CNN. To say it’s a dumpster fire under Licht and Zaslav is an understatement.

lazyboy97o

Don't need his permission to write about public events
And yet people sure acted that way.

Chapek is what happens when Iger pushed out everyone who could do the job far better than he could.
Like who?

Staggs should be on the short list for next CEO IMO.
Absolutely not. Despite having been disbanded, Iger never actually pivoted away from Strategic Planning and just promoted the likes of Staggs. Tom Staggs was one of the most uncredited shapers of The Walt Disney Company as it existed at the end of Eisner’s tenure and into Iger’s tenure.

Maybe. Maybe not. Time will tell.
Time has already told. The events already transpired.

Not praising Jim Cramer in general, but he actually hit the nail head-on with Disney.

This comment just makes Cramer look clueless. Parks wasn’t Chapek’s area of expertise. He had absolutely no park experience prior to getting the top job at the parks. If Iger had gotten his way the parks wouldn’t be a thing for Cramer to talk about and there’s no evidence he truly sees them as an area of potential growth.

Baloo62

01_Christine_McCarthy.jpg
Add pig tails and you have a dead ringer for Nellie Olsen

Kirby86

It was fantastic for hard core Beatles fans, but I think complete tedium for everyone else ("When does this thing finally end?", said wifey to me quite often while I watched it).
Oh it was definitely for the hardcore Beatles Fans. My dad and I loved it. However my Mom was bored out of her mind (she's more of a Rolling Stones fan.) Was it an odd choice for Disney plus programming? Absolutely but I'm glad it exists. If it was a Chapek decision I'll tip my cap to him.

TwilightZone

I know I'm a bit late in this thread but I've seen a bunch of commericals for this movie every single day for a few days now.
It's not the number I think is an issue. There is a ton of commercials, you are right there. But the synergy that is usually used to advertise Disney products isn't there. There's no SW lunchboxes, toys, magazines, etc. Also the advertising makes it look...kinda bland if I am being honest here.

I will give Lightyear credit, it was synergized SUPER well.

Vegas Disney Fan

October 29th - November 1st
Sounds like we missed you by about a week, Nov 2021 was honestly one of my all time favorite WDW trips, masks indoors only, not crowded, met my family there, everyone (us, other guests, CMs) was in such an amazing mood to be at Disney after being stuck inside for a year… its trips and memories like that that make us lifetime Disney parks fans.

TwilightZone

Let's talk more about synergy, because I feel its important to add based on my own view of things.

Now 90s - 00s Disney Synergy was a BEAST. Defunctland gave a good example in his new video (watch it btw!), where those behind Disney Channel's bumpers at the time discussed a meeting in which the board talked about what they were doing for the Lizzie Mcguire movie. Some did toilet paper, some did notebooks, etc. All ready for the next year. There was also another example about doing "fish facts" one year before Finding Nemo premiered on the Disney channel, that way when it came out the kids who were regulars on the Disney channel would already be "coincidentally" into fish. I feel the most infamous examples of recent memory are the Stitch and Frozen explosions, where synergy was ALL over the place.

But more modern-ish Disney seems to be, at least to me as someone very uneducated about Disney merch, not as synergetic as past Disney. I mean sure, gives us some breathers and reassurance as park fans, but also very curious how quiet a lot of modern marketing is in comparison. Maybe its because I outgrew Disney Channel and don't really buy merch, but its something to ponder about.

Raidermatt

Hard to say…

Appointing Eisner as “director emeritus” would be a strong PR move…because even though people crap all over him (mostly based on old out of context complaints on places such as this)…it is hard to dispute what his overall product was.
No. Eisner was horrible. The first 10 years he was in a power sharing arrangement with Frank Wells, and that is why things went (for the most part) well. Roy and the investors wanted Wells to run the company with Eisner as his second, brought in primarily for his Hollywood clout. Eisner refused to accept that arrangement, and Wells didn't have Eisner's ego, so they gave Eisner the CEO job with Wells as president, but with the unique stipulation that Wells reported directly to the Board, not Eisner.

Eisner was the face of the company, but it was Wells who kept it moving in the right direction.

The moment Wells passed, and Eisner became the sole leader of Disney, things began going awry.

This is not out of context, it is pure and simple truth. You can track all issues to that change in the power structure. Had Wells never been there, it likely would have been a complete disaster from the get-go. But fortunately that was not allowed to happen. By the time he had complete control, the company was no longer a takeover target (though Comcast gave it a shot in Eisner's later years).

Eisner was in many ways a different kind of bad than Chapek, but he was still bad.

Sir_Cliff

The character being specific doesn't mean that you have to be that specific person to enjoy it. This conception has doomed a lot of possible diversity in entertainment.
Indeed. I certainly understand not liking Turning Red, but I don't get the line of argument that it was alienating because it was about Chinese-Canadian women. As neither Chinese, Canadian, nor a woman, I didn't find anything in Turning Red that was too specific or niche for me to understand and I feel like I have seen many movies that aren't about Australian men living in The Netherlands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom