News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

brb1006

I agree. Strange World will flop hard as the marketing has been abysmal, and it looks average at best.

The next Frozen II or Ralph Breaks the Internet. It's probably not great like Zootopia or Wreck it Ralph. Original films typically need to be to draw an audience. Although I disagree that Turning Red was bad. I thought it was definitely above average, but given the better Encanto did mediocre in theaters, I doubt it would have done better, but double dipping still is a better financial move than leaving money on the table.

Disney needs quality, not quantity.
Crossing my fingers for "Wish" to be decent.

el_super

The 'throw all the money you can at content' is what AT&T with HBO Max and Disney with Disney+ are learning the hard way that it's an awful strategy.

Iger gets this and is why I am ecstatic about his return over Chapek. Creativity comes first, then you have to reign in financially, not the other way around.

I'm not at all sure if I can buy the idea that Iger somehow is a better creative than Chapek.

They have spent fantastically on their Disney+ productions. Sure maybe getting 6 hours instead of 2 creates some efficiencies, but they are still spending blockbuster level budgets on what are essentially TV programs.

The word from Wall Street is loud and clear: curb your spending. Disney must respond.

I absolutely foresee Disney+ becoming a dumping ground of reruns and reality TV, just the same as cable did. Financial stability first, creativity second.

The real question now is whether this will extend to the parks as well. Do more with less.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Well then, I think with Daniel’s quick removal we can see that he is here to unwind the changes made by Chapek including how he wanted to restructure TWDC.

I somewhat expected that but didn’t expect it on day one. Will be interesting to see who else’s head rolls or if this stems the bleeding….for now.

Joel

The worst trend of the current trolling internet era is acting like critical opinion means nothing, or even worse, is somehow indicative of some content actually being bad.
Except for when critics overwhelmingly dislike something (which 99% of the time means it actually is complete trash), I do find critical opinion a lot less useful than it used to be.

Trolling must be pretty tame these days if that's the worst trend.

Heppenheimer

Wizard of Oz technically lost money in 1939, but MGM said, "This isn't a failure, not really, because everyone's seen it and likes it. We succeeded in ways more important than money." And they were right.

And it's not memes running things. This is because I've seen the movies and I love them, with the exception of The Good Dinosaur. I love them, wholeheartedly. And having arbitrary standards of what makes a Pixar movie is absurd.
I guess I'm the only one who liked The Good Dinosaur.

BuddyThomas

Every morning at 7:45, I drop off my kids at a school that goes from Pre-K 3 to 8th grade. I have never once seen a single backpack, scarf, t-shirt, notebook, or stuffed animal from Turning Red. I've seen more Raya and the Last Dragon gear than Turning Red.

What gear do I see? Bluey, Spidey & His Amazing Friends, Encanto, Moana, Frozen, Mario, Pikachu, Toy Story, general Princess, Elena of Avalor, Minecraft.
What is this “observation” supposed to prove?

Sir_Cliff

Except for when critics overwhelmingly dislike something (which 99% of the time means it actually is complete trash), I do find critical opinion a lot less useful than it used to be.

Sure, positive critical reviews don't mean something is objectively good, but nor does another person's negative review mean something is objectively bad. What I find irritating is this tendency to say "This movie stinks!" then, when someone points out it got overwhelmingly positive reviews, the response is basically "that proves my point :rolleyes:"

I also really don't get people being so invested in hating specific films, which seems to be a real trend lately. I didn't like Ralph Breaks the Internet, but this might be the first time I have posted about the film on here.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Well then, I think with Daniel’s quick removal we can see that he is here to unwind the changes made by Chapek including how he wanted to restructure TWDC.

I somewhat expected that but didn’t expect it on day one. Will be interesting to see who else’s head rolls or if this stems the bleeding….for now.
Re-orgs that I've been through in my company when the new boss come is it is fast and furious. The stressful part is that many don't know if its going to be them to lose their jobs or getting new roles with a much more of a workload.

Jrb1979

I'm not at all sure if I can buy the idea that Iger somehow is a better creative than Chapek.

They have spent fantastically on their Disney+ productions. Sure maybe getting 6 hours instead of 2 creates some efficiencies, but they are still spending blockbuster level budgets on what are essentially TV programs.

The word from Wall Street is loud and clear: curb your spending. Disney must respond.

I absolutely foresee Disney+ becoming a dumping ground of reruns and reality TV, just the same as cable did. Financial stability first, creativity second.

The real question now is whether this will extend to the parks as well. Do more with less.
I always thought that streaming was mainly going to be for watching old programming with some new content thrown in. If they had stuck to that model it probably would have be profitable.

MrPromey

The challenge with Rotten Tomatoes is in understanding what the score actually means.

When a movie gets a high score, that seems to make people think lots of critics loved it. (and boy don't studios love implying that!)

That's usually not the case.

What it really means is that a majority of critics thought it was at least okay.

Like, on a scale of 1-5, if a critic gives it a 3, that makes it a "fresh" review.

If a lot of critics give it the middle of the road, 3, the movie goes up the fresh ranks.

I've read plenty of critic reviews on there that deem a movie "fresh" which actually read like the critic wasn't all that impressed.

Nothing wrong with that but the reality throws a bit of cold water on the narratives that "critics overwhelmingly love" something when it gets a high score.

On the other end of the scale, like you said, if it gets a low critical score, that seems to be a trend worth being weary of unless it's something niche.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The challenge with Rotten Tomatoes is in understanding what the score actually means.

When it gets a high score, that seems to make people think lots of critics loved it.

What it really means is that a majority of critics thought it was at least okay.

Like, on a scale of 1-5, if a critic gives it a 3, that makes it a "fresh" review.

Nothing wrong with that but the reality throws a bit of cold water on the narratives that "critics overwhelmingly love" something when it gets a high score.

On the other end of the scale, like you said, if it gets a low critical score, that seems to be a trend worth being weary of unless it's something niche.
Which is why my foolproof method of picking a movie based on RT scores has yet to fail me. Simply take the two scores (Critic and Audience) combine then divide by two. If the rating is approx 65, it's worth a watch. If it's under 65, it's not elegible for a senior discount. Wait, what?!

Heppenheimer

And Chapek tried to ruin run the company the way he tried to ruin run the parks.

To me the takeaway is he should never have risen to a senior level of any kind within the organization.

Clearly, he was good at something but leading a creative or guest facing team wasn't it.
I think it was his idea to put a gift shop at the exit of every major ride.

Captain Neo

The problem is the main Disney studios there movies have been bad and the Disney+ content including disenchanted and hocos Pocus 2 was atrocious like real low effort stuff that actually hurt the brands. Was better off not doing that stuff and leaving the streaming content to marvel and lucas

Rteetz

The problem is the main Disney studios there movies have been bad and the Disney+ content including disenchanted and hocos Pocus 2 was atrocious like real low effort stuff that actually hurt the brands. Was better off not doing that stuff and leaving the streaming content to marvel and lucas
Hocus Pocus 2 was the best Disney+ premiere to date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom