News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

fotofx

having read most pages (my head would explode if i read all 50+), i’ll just say i’m glad chapek is gone. who knows how much of an impact Iger will have in a 2 year span, but there’s some minor things i would like to see. bring back magical express. it was convenient for guests. also bring back extra evening hours for all resort guests. if they can accommodate deluxe & dvc guests, no reason why they can’t accommodate value & moderate guests as well. and i would love to see them ditch genie & resort parking fees, but that ain’t happening. i’ll be shocked it it did.
As a Florida resident and passholder I would be happy if park reservations disappeared, I also do not like having to use my phone all day to plan my rides. Disney used to be a place you could go to and disconnect and relax. All you see now is everyone with their faces buried in their devices. I understand that is how the world is now, but it should not be REQUIRED at Disney World.

Mmoore29

Ideas I would propose to Iger in a theoretical email to him about steps to take:

MUSTS

-Tamp down on abuses and excesses regarding recent price hikes at the parks and resorts, correct where necessary

-Take bold action and necessary rhetoric regarding company relations with the state of Florida, thread the needle

-Soothe potential discord and grumbling in Pixar regarding recent projects that went to streaming instead of intended theatrical release

-Make gesture that helps squash common Internet perception of "problems" at Lucasfilm, that the division is "in a state of paralysis and fear regarding the next Star Wars movie."

-Show importance of 20th Century Studios and divisions to the company, with renewed commitment to theatrical releases

-Repair relations with Johnny Depp and restore faith regarding Pirates of the Caribbean

-DO NOT sell off assets that people are clamoring for you to do (ABC, ESPN, Lucasfilm, Marvel, 20th Century Studios) just to get windfall in cash flow and ease debt burden

ADVISABLES

-Rehire John Lasseter and reestablish him as a good man and a creative wonder

-Hire Meryl Poster and/or rehire Dick Cook to helm or help helm the chair position of Walt Disney Studios

-Repair relations with Tim Burton and Henry Selick to give them runway for intimate passion projects and non-tentpole works

-Revive Touchstone Pictures imprint and show renewed focus on mature storytelling

-Do massive revamp of ABCNEWS.com, as, except for recent redesign of ABC logo, the website is boring, uninteresting, and does not look very inviting. Splashy and colorful designs, though only to the point of enhancing news reports on site and not overshadowing it, would go a a long way. Furthermore, fix notable URL content, as a large number of videos are not playable anymore, such as this one:

-Really open up the ABC News archives, in enabling people to watch old reports spanning decades and/or read transcripts, especially for curious viewers and for budding researchers. If there's a problem with The Transcription Company/aka transcripts.tv (hence that website not working), please fix. It would be nice to have options besides hoping to find something at random on YouTube (from unofficial sources) or use LexisNexis or Factiva, both of which are sadly incomplete.

-Arrange a special ABC News/Diane Sawyer Interview for Ellen DeGeneres, especially for her to give out her side of the story at last in light of the criticism she has been receiving recently, and insults and attacks on her character. Give her the chance to respond to the claims, as well as of course taking advantage of the recent uptick of interest with the tragic death of Anne Heche. Also feature mother Betty, brother Vance, and Portia DeRossi as part of the interview.

-Make more Marvel animated content(TV shows, movies, OVAs, etc..)

-Bring more variety to Disney Channel and Disney X.D., especially in following the examples of hits like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, The Owl House, Amphibia and so on

-Make a new game plan for the television animation division

-Treat animation with more respect, in a way that is visible and makes people comfortable

-Visible signs of something being done with FXX

-Integrate Hulu assets into Disney+ at earliest available opportunity.

-While I have faith Disney can navigate the streaming wars successfully, do prepare a fallback just in case. Such as a way to basically revert to the Netflix model, in having the content there, Disney to be main producer and get fees, and Disney to have main creative control, but of course, only when all else fails.

djkidkaz

As a Florida resident and passholder I would be happy if park reservations disappeared, I also do not like having to use my phone all day to plan my rides. Disney used to be a place you could go to and disconnect and relax. All you see now is everyone with their faces buried in their devices. I understand that is how the world is now, but it should not be REQUIRED at Disney World.

It’s not required. You’re more than able to go wait in line 40 minutes for Living with the Land. It just feels required because we know it used to be 5 minutes.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Ideas I would propose to Iger in a theoretical email to him about steps to take:

MUSTS

-Tamp down on abuses and excesses regarding recent price hikes at the parks and resorts, correct where necessary

-Take bold action and necessary rhetoric regarding company relations with the state of Florida, thread the needle

-Soothe potential discord and grumbling in Pixar regarding recent projects that went to streaming instead of intended theatrical release

-Make gesture that helps squash common Internet perception of "problems" at Lucasfilm, that the division is "in a state of paralysis and fear regarding the next Star Wars movie."

-Show importance of 20th Century Studios and divisions to the company, with renewed commitment to theatrical releases

-Repair relations with Johnny Depp and restore faith regarding Pirates of the Caribbean

-DO NOT sell off assets that people are clamoring for you to do (ABC, ESPN, Lucasfilm, Marvel, 20th Century Studios) just to get windfall in cash flow and ease debt burden

ADVISABLES

-Rehire John Lasseter and reestablish him as a good man and a creative wonder

-Hire Meryl Poster and/or rehire Dick Cook to helm or help helm the chair position of Walt Disney Studios

-Repair relations with Tim Burton and Henry Selick to give them runway for intimate passion projects and non-tentpole works

-Revive Touchstone Pictures imprint and show renewed focus on mature storytelling

-Do massive revamp of ABCNEWS.com, as, except for recent redesign of ABC logo, the website is boring, uninteresting, and does not look very inviting. Splashy and colorful designs, though only to the point of enhancing news reports on site and not overshadowing it, would go a a long way. Furthermore, fix notable URL content, as a large number of videos are not playable anymore, such as this one:

-Really open up the ABC News archives, in enabling people to watch old reports spanning decades and/or read transcripts, especially for curious viewers and for budding researchers. If there's a problem with The Transcription Company/aka transcripts.tv (hence that website not working), please fix. It would be nice to have options besides hoping to find something at random on YouTube (from unofficial sources) or use LexisNexis or Factiva, both of which are sadly incomplete.

-Arrange a special ABC News/Diane Sawyer Interview for Ellen DeGeneres, especially for her to give out her side of the story at last in light of the criticism she has been receiving recently, and insults and attacks on her character. Give her the chance to respond to the claims, as well as of course taking advantage of the recent uptick of interest with the tragic death of Anne Heche. Also feature mother Betty, brother Vance, and Portia DeRossi as part of the interview.

-Make more Marvel animated content(TV shows, movies, OVAs, etc..)

-Bring more variety to Disney Channel and Disney X.D., especially in following the examples of hits like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, The Owl House, Amphibia and so on

-Make a new game plan for the television animation division

-Treat animation with more respect, in a way that is visible and makes people comfortable

-Visible signs of something being done with FXX

-Integrate Hulu assets into Disney+ at earliest available opportunity.

-While I have faith Disney can navigate the streaming wars successfully, do prepare a fallback just in case. Such as a way to basically revert to the Netflix model, in having the content there, Disney to be main producer and get fees, and Disney to have main creative control, but of course, only when all else fails.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

jinx8402

It is and it isn't. Not everyone can or wants to devote that much time to an IP. A movie or two a year bridged by a single series, maybe. In the past 365 days, there have been 4 movies, 4 series, and 2 spinoff specials, correct?
There is a lot of content for sure. I want to add to something that sirwalter (think it was him, or maybe someone else?) stated though. He talked about how things are not as connected as the first 3 phases. I think honestly, that is part of the plan. Not every movie or series is tied to one singular larger story. This allows you to pick and choose what you are interested in and just watch those. Very similar to how the comics are. Sure, you might miss something, but you can choose to go back and watch it to get the back story if you wish.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally I think they should merge the two studios and consolidate in Emeryville.
The "Pixar Method" instituted by Lasseter and spread to DAS (which started to make DAS films good again) doesn't allow for a large studio. The method is that each day each department presents to the entire creative staff and execs what they have done so far for critique. Too many movies would make that unwieldy.

HMF

The "Pixar Method" instituted by Lasseter and spread to DAS (which started to make DAS films good again) doesn't allow for a large studio. The method is that each day each department presents to the entire creative staff and execs what they have done so far for critique. Too many movies would make that unwieldy.
Then cut down the amount of films made. I would rather have 1 quality movie over 3 mediocre ones.

SteamboatJoe

After letting this news simmer for a bit I've been looking at feedback among many different venues of social media. Specifically NOT fan sites, but comments and responses to a wealth of articles and news reports.

And that feedback is, surprisingly, focused on parks. They suck, they are crowded, it's too expensive, never going back, no more magic, not the same anymore, money grab, you did this to yourself, bound to fail, squeezed as much as you could, etc.

I'm seeing very little response to news articles and opinions citing IP or movies or streaming or the other Disney silos. These comments are not mentioning streaming subscriptions or cruise ships or current theatrical releases or.............anything else.

They are talking about parks, and to a lesser extent - stock price.

Anecdotal? Perhaps. But check it out for yourself. Delve outside this forum for a bit. Maybe Iger will hear what the rest have ignored:

It's the parks, stupid.

They feed/support the wants and desires and motivations and success of everything else Disney does. If the parks fail, so fails the rest of the domain.
Dance with the one that brought you and don't bite the hand that feeds. Its shocking how many executives lose sight of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom