News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

On the surface, jettisoning Bob 2.0 is long overdue. His employment was a mistake from the day he was installed in P&R. Unmitigated disaster. But Bob 1.0 is in this for one reason and one reason only - His ego. And what is going to change? I’d guess very little.
We all knew that this was the inevitable outcome. Igers sudden departure before the bottom fell out and having the stooge take his place only cemented his eventual return to save the company.

It’s going to be fun when he releases an updated memoir detailing his triumphant return to save the house of mouse.

Wager on how many times they extend his 2 year contract?

tanc

Did Bob 1 take a vacation and put all the pressure on Bob 2? Crazy they didn't pick another person to run Disney.

_caleb

If he can get his right hand spokesperson back as well I imagine Bob the Elder will be able to convince enough people to not believe what they see with their eyes, something Bob the Lesser could not seem to pull off.
DING! DING! DING! And who might that be…?

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
Anybody is better than Chapek...
He will get his golden parachute while he set the company on fire. Iger will make stockholders and most fans happy. But tread lightly, as he has a large mess to clean up. I still don't expect big things from Disney for many years in the parks but there is always hope.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We all knew that this was the inevitable outcome. Igers sudden departure before the bottom fell out and having the stooge take his place only cemented his eventual return to save the company.

It’s going to be fun when he releases an updated memoir detailing his triumphant return to save the house of mouse.

Wager on how many times they extend his 2 year contract?

Index card side 1: Leave before things go bad.

Index card side 2: Come back and appear to be savior.

This company’s “leadership” still needs an enema from the Bob years. Bringing back the head turd doesn’t cleanse anything.

And before anyone has any grandiose thoughts: All of the money-grab-type stuff $lappie has done? It all started under Iger, he just got to implement it.

This is some sick and demented “white knight” lunacy.

_caleb

I am not saying this to be annoying to you in particular, but there was this completely grotesque profile of Iger over the summer that might have been shared in this thread, and definitely somewhere on this forum, that would lead you to a different conclusion than whatever the man has said himself.

He is completely ego-obsessed and could never let this job go. He HAS to be THE GUY. It is integral to his identity.
I’m hoping this works in our (the fans) favor this time. But I agree.

TalkingHead

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

On the surface, jettisoning Bob 2.0 is long overdue. His employment in upper management was a mistake from the day he was installed in P&R. Unmitigated disaster. But Bob 1.0 is in this for one reason and one reason only - His ego. And what is going to change? I’d guess very little.
Agreed generally, although I could imagine Iger embracing a rethinking of streaming vs. theatrical exhibition in a way that Chapek evidentially didn’t comprehend.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Agreed generally, although I could imagine Iger embracing a rethinking of streaming vs. theatrical exhibition in a way that Chapek evidentially didn’t comprehend.
True. Bob 2.0 has bungled the media part of the company more than … the BoD could have thought (those of us who despised the bald-headed crap peddler from day 1 in 2015 could have told you he didn’t have a clue about anything).

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Maybe Iger was setting Chapek up to be the fall guy?

Annual report prep shows all the doom... They walk Chapek out there to take all the bullets

They let Chapek lead with a big cost cutting agenda... again, take all the bullets... Then dump the body and waltz in with some new Savior Plan that will look even better in the wake of the messages Chapek just had to deliver?
The main driver for this was the absolute continuing failure of D+.

The board knew Chapek wasn’t capable of dealing with any of this.

Smiley/OCD

Anybody is better than Chapek...
He will get his golden parachute while he set the company on fire. Iger will make stockholders and most fans happy. But tread lightly, as he has a large mess to clean up. I still don't expect big things from Disney for many years in the parks but there is always hope.
Any volunteers to cut some holes in that golden parachute?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Regarding the parks, I hope we'll see some changes like AP's for sale again. Chapek really thinks tourists are suckers and SHOWS it constantly.

I don't think we'll see prices decrease but maybe level off and HOPEFULLY a more simplified planning setup because it's way too complicated now.

lazyboy97o

There's no way this just "suddenly" happened this weekend. Iger did not want to come back, there were likely negotiations going on for some time.
Iger has loved being the reluctant leader. He did it repeatedly with his extensions. We saw it during the pandemic when he quickly tried to reassert himself into operations. He was clearly angling for it with politics, and then the NFL. His legacy at Disney had turned into people asking him about Chapek, and now he gets to be the hero again.

Do you mean the Pixar/Steve Jobs negotiations?
I mean everything in those last few years when Iger was COO. The whole narrative is how he came in and turned things around, completely glossing over how he was part of what he “fixed”.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom