The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

This comparison of gas prices at WDW vs. Disneyland is incredible to me. I don't know how families in SoCal do this, and at some point it has to impact visitation and spending at Disneyland.

I just snagged these screenshots from gasbuddy.com. These are today's prices for a gallon of 87 octane regular at the stations on and around WDW property, and the stations nearest to Disneyland.

$2.92 to $3.15 at various stations off property, and $3.04 at the multiple Speedway's on WDW property.
View attachment 671004

Meanwhile, in Anaheim, prices for a gallon of 87 regular are over double that of Orlando...

$6.79 at the Chevron next to the 5 freeway, to $6.19 at the 7-11 on Ball Road
View attachment 671006
If your car requires 91 octane in Anaheim, prices are well over $7 per gallon today. Crazy! How are middle class families affording this I wonder?
It’s like you’re wondering how poor people are affording private jet flights to Maldives. It’s a tank of gas.

Middle class families save their money and will happily spend their money on things that they want to do…like we’ve been doing. This includes driving. I still see plenty of people on the streets in their cars, waiting for the red lights to turn green. It’s a sight to behold.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It seems to me that if Florida Dad paid 60 bucks to fill up the 20 gallon tank in the Camry on the way to WDW, but California Dad paid 135 bucks to fill up the 20 gallon tank in the Camry on the way to Disneyland, that would be 75 extra dollars that Florida Dad could spend at WDW on churros and bubble wands.
Wait....

What Camry has a 20 gallon tank?

Average tank size in a 2022 Camry is 15.8 gallons -

TP2000

Wait....

What Camry has a 20 gallon tank?

Average tank size in a 2022 Camry is 15.8 gallons -

Is that all mid size sedans take nowadays? A bit over 15 gallons? Who knew?!

I mainly drive a three year old, two door convertible that has a 21 gallon tank, so I just guessed that a Camry sedan had a 20 gallon tank. But your point is interesting; Camry Dad only has to buy 15 gallons of gas to fill up his tank.

At the Speedway next to Epcot for $3.04, versus the Chevron on Ball Road at $6.39, that's...

Florida Camry Dad =$45.60 for fill up
California Camry Dad = $95.85 for fill up

So Florida Dad has 50 dollars more to spend on churros and bubble wands.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is that all mid size sedans take nowadays? A bit over 15 gallons? Who knew?!

I mainly drive a three year old, two door convertible that has a 21 gallon tank, so I just guessed that a Camry sedan had a 20 gallon tank. But your point is interesting; Camry Dad only has to buy 15 gallons of gas to fill up his tank.

At the Speedway next to Epcot for $3.04, versus the Chevron on Ball Road at $6.39, that's...

Florida Camry Dad =$45.60 for fill up
California Camry Dad = $95.85 for fill up

I can't speak to all but I would say the average midsize sedan averages between 13-16 gallon tank. As engines have gotten more fuel efficient the tank size has gotten smaller to save on weight which adds to the fuel efficiency.

mickEblu

Original Poster
So before we got around to buying tickets for our trip on 10/9, Disneyland/ One park tickets sold out so we ended up buying park hoppers with DCA as our starting park. We lost half of our party as they ended up listening to my advice to postpone the 2 year olds first trip to Disneyland to a day where we're not hosting 30 year old newlyweds from another country. So we will now be 6-8 people and also shed a baby. It'll be much more manageable when it comes to park hopping. We plan on being at DCA from 9am to 1pm to do GOTG:MB, Soarin, RSR and maybe Incredicoaster and Grizzly. We should have some help with lower crowds at DCA as its an Oogie Boogie day which deters people from buying DCA tickets on a day they need to leave at 6pm. We plan on being at DL from 1pm through the end of the night. I think with Genie + we shouldn't really have any issues hitting those 3-5 rides at DCA and then hitting POTC, Splash, BTMRR, Space, IASW, ROTR at DL. Jungle Cruise, Indy and HM only if we have time. Of course I'll try to get them on a couple FL dark rides too.

Disney Analyst

It’s like you’re wondering how poor people are affording private jet flights to Maldives. It’s a tank of gas.

Middle class families save their money and will happily spend their money on things that they want to do…like we’ve been doing. This includes driving. I still see plenty of people on the streets in their cars, waiting for the red lights to turn green. It’s a sight to behold.

Right now gas is $2.33 a litre here in Vancouver, supposed to break a record on Thursday at $2.39 a litre. Which means it would be about $6.69 (USD) a gallon on Thursday (I think?).

We just drive less, take transit more… until prices lower.

And it sounds like this is a west coast problem in general:

“While Metro Vancouverites are shelling out record prices at the pumps, their countrymates in Toronto are paying somewhere in the ballpark of $1.49 per litre.

The difference means a 50-litre fill up in Toronto is more than $43 cheaper than in Vancouver.

That massive price difference is a result of the Lower Mainland relying on the U.S. west coast for the bulk of its supply, according to Paul Pasco, principal consultant with retail analytics platform Kalibrate.

“It’s a different supply chain and a different network that connects you, and you’re just a lot more closely tied to that west coast refining complex,” he said.

“The story you guys tell about what’s happening in Vancouver is the exact same story you can read about what’s going on in California.”

The entire west coast market is facing tightness of supply, a problem exacerbated by a lengthy maintenance shutdown at the Phillips 66 refinery in Ferndale, Wash., he said.”

GiveMeTheMusic

Except he doesn't because he has to pay $200 a night to stay at Marriott World Center, while California Dad gets to drive back to Rancho Cucamonga and sleep in his own bed. There's just no way to compare WDW and DLR guest spending habits. They're different universes.

There's also a strong chance that California Dad drives a hybrid or totally electric car, negating the need for gas. You can play this game all day.

People can cry about gas prices all they want but until the economy actually shows sluggishness, it just is what it is and people will pay it. In 2008 when gas ballooned over $4 and everyone lost their minds, behavior changed. That hasn't happened in 2022 and Disney has seen zero effect.

Disney Analyst

Not all of us are interested in living in states where the cost of living is cheaper. I wouldn’t care if Florida Mommy and Daddy paid just $50 in rent, $2 for utilities, and $0.57 for food each week. I still wouldn’t want to live in Florida. Just like some people wouldn’t want to live in California.

Very good point. Everyone has their preference.

Many millennials or younger are unlikely to be able to afford real estate in Metro Vancouver. In fact most major cities in BC are becoming very unaffordable when it comes to owning a house or condo.

Many could move somewhere more rural, where it’s cheaper to own. Or move to Alberta which is suddenly advertising in all the major cities asking for young people to come move there… as it’s more affordable.

Honestly, I know many would rather be considered “poor”, or unable to own, then live somewhere rural in BC or move to Alberta.

And some jump at the chance to own no matter what, whether it’s outside a big city or BC.

I don’t think I could leave the coast.

Californian Elitist

Very good point. Everyone has their preference.

Many millennials or younger are unlikely to be able to afford real estate in Metro Vancouver. In fact most major cities in BC are becoming very unaffordable when it comes to owning a house or condo.

Many could move somewhere more rural, where it’s cheaper to own. Or move to Alberta which is suddenly advertising in all the major cities asking for young people to come move there… as it’s more affordable.

Honestly, I know many would rather be considered “poor”, or unable to own, then live somewhere rural in BC or move to Alberta.

And some jump at the chance to own no matter what, whether it’s outside a big city or BC.

I don’t think I could leave the coast.
Add me to the list of people who would rather not own than live somewhere hella cheap, which would more than likely be somewhere rural and wouldn’t match the vibe I’m looking for, and own home. Not here, at least. Put me in a small, quaint town in a European village, and I’d actually consider it. The U.S.? Nope.

I’m still trying to get to Canada! Hoping to be in Montreal by my birthday month in 2024.

Disney Analyst

Add me to the list of people who would rather not own than live somewhere hella cheap, which would more than likely be somewhere rural and wouldn’t match the vibe I’m looking for, and own home. Not here, at least. Put me in a small, quaint town in a European village, and I’d actually consider it. The U.S.? Nope.

I’m still trying to get to Canada! Hoping to be in Montreal by my birthday month in 2024.

Montreal is amazing! ❤️

No Name

Not all of us are interested in living in states where the cost of living is cheaper. I wouldn’t care if Florida Mommy and Daddy paid just $50 in rent, $2 for utilities, and $0.57 for food each week. I still wouldn’t want to live in Florida. Just like some people wouldn’t want to live in California.
Gas prices in New York City are almost half of what they are in even the most rural parts of Northern California (unlike food and rent). It’s overwhelmingly a west coast issue and hardly a population density one. But I do have to appreciate this take from someone named Californian Elitist 🙂

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Gas prices in New York City are almost half of what they are in even the most rural parts of Northern California (unlike food and rent). It’s overwhelmingly a west coast issue and hardly a population density one. But I do have to appreciate this take from someone named Californian Elitist 🙂
I said nothing about population, but okay. I’m still not budging.

I credit you and others (but especially you) being triggered in that one thread for my new username. Thank you!🙌🏾🥳😝

Last edited:

VJ

No it doesn’t. I don’t think one actual song from the movie plays during the ride. Really odd choice. Kind of giving me Tiana Mountain vibes.
Nightmare Before Christmas songs that play during the ride:
1. Boarding Area/Corridor of Doors - Kidnap the Sandy Claws
2. Seance - Making Christmas
3. Ballroom - Kidnap the Sandy Claws/Making Christmas
4. Attic - What's This

No Name

I said nothing about population, but okay. I’m still not budging.

I credit you and others (but especially you) being triggered in that one thread to my new username. Thank you!🙌🏾🥳😝
You said “somewhere hella cheap, which would more than likely be somewhere rural” which is certainly about population.

Calling me triggered might be projecting something. On one hand, I’ve put it all in the past.

No Name

The median salary for a middle-class person in CA is also higher than in FL or other places even after taxes so that balances things out a bit. California Dad starts out with a higher churro allowance than Florida Dad.

Californian Elitist

You said “somewhere hella cheap, which would more than likely be somewhere rural” which is certainly about population.

Calling me triggered might be projecting something. On one hand, I’ve put it all in the past.
Nope, not necessarily. In that context, when I said “rural,” I meant smaller cities and towns with nothing to do. I thought nothing of population.

You definitely seemed triggered, given that you used exclamation points and seemed to have clutched your invisible pearls when I said Los Angeles and Orlando were incomparable. But I got a new username from that debacle, so I’m happy.

#Californiaiseverything

No Name

Nope, not necessarily. In that context, when I said “rural,” I meant smaller cities and towns with nothing to do. I thought nothing of population.

You definitely seemed triggered, given that you used exclamation points and seemed to have clutched your invisible pearls when I said Los Angeles and Orlando were incomparable. But I got a new username from that debacle, so I’m happy.

#Californiaiseverything
I honestly think you’re confusing me with someone else. And again I question who is triggered here. PM me if you need to discuss it further.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom